James Behring Knives Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 14 of 29 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162487 - 07/12/17 09:12 PM Re: Blade Show Model #7-10 day build [Re: W Polidori]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
With the way the mood has changed, I honestly don't care what the choice is: I just want to get them done! These builds are supposed to be informative and fun. I see neither!
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#162490 - 07/12/17 10:01 PM Re: Blade Show Model #7-10 day build [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
It was a fun moment. Go back and read it. No mood change.

#162492 - 07/12/17 10:34 PM Re: Blade Show Model #7-10 day build [Re: W Polidori]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns. Va.
brass
RKS #84 NRA Life. Shag # 11

#162494 - 07/12/17 11:25 PM Re: Blade Show Model #7-10 day build [Re: W Polidori]
Knife Enthusiast

I'll stick with my opinions Warren and you can stick with yours. Tallied up tomorrow night. I have been at Doctor's offices all day as will be tomorrow and the next...All day. Tally tomorrow night and we move on.
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#162498 - 07/13/17 11:06 AM Re: Blade Show Model #7-10 day build [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Brass with the wood handle and save an option!
Molon Labe

#162499 - 07/13/17 01:30 PM Re: Blade Show Model #7-10 day build [Re: BladesNBarrels]
Litch Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Rhein/Main
A) Brass single hilt

RKCC CMI-006
RKS #5720

#162500 - 07/13/17 02:36 PM Re: Blade Show Model #7-10 day build [Re: Litch]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New York
I've already voted for brass so please don't count this as another vote.

As I noted when I voted, I usually prefer nickel silver hardware. Easier to clean, less maintenance, and I like the contrast that its lighter/more neutral color provides, especially when paired with darker handle material.

Given the deep golden color of the Amboyna, however, it is my humble opinion that a brass single hilt with brass and black spacers (4th option) and a matching brass butt cap (5th option if I counted correctly) is the way we should finish this knife.

Why?

First, I don't see this knife as a user. These forum build knives are really cool and 'unique' (especially so for these with CW from Blade; Thanks Capt.!), and I don't think that I could bring myself to use one of them. If I did see it as a user, I would've voted for a NS hilt, and would endorse thumb notches or a thong hole for the fifth and final option.

Second, the brass at front and rear would enhance (as Tony pointed out earlier) and perfectly complement the beauty of the Amboyna, and the knife would, overall, be more aesthetically balanced and pleasing.

Third (and final), I showed my wife the photo of the Amboyna, and she fully endorses my 'brass design' as outlined above. It's OK to laugh at that, but: 1) she owns a ceramic/glass studio and spends a good chunk of her time designing color schemes for folks to paint; and, much more importantly, 2) if I end up winning the drawing for the knife, there will be no need for me to have to justify spending the money on "another" RMK (and those of you married for many years can well understand how beneficial that can be!).

Does adoption of the 'brass design' mean that we end up with a "safe queen"? Probably so, but a safe queen of surpassing beauty that would demand to be put on display.
RKCC #622

#162501 - 07/13/17 04:46 PM Re: Blade Show Model #7-10 day build [Re: rfcarlin]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest
Originally Posted By: rfcarlin
brass single hilt with ... matching brass butt cap ... is the way we should finish this knife.

I have learned the hard way that a heavy butt cap on a light knife ruins the balance and "feel" of the knife. If a butt cap is decided, then I hope extra thin, or simply a butt plate, rather than a full-size butt cap.
RKS #258

#162502 - 07/13/17 05:59 PM Re: Blade Show Model #7-10 day build [Re: Holzinger258]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Cap is not a good option with custom woods... IMO... there's no real sense in covering up such a pretty piece of wood with a cap or plate... however we are also not there yet. So we will see how it shakes out.

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#162503 - 07/13/17 06:04 PM Re: Blade Show Model #7-10 day build [Re: Holzinger258]
Knife Enthusiast

Good arguments, all of them..."BUT"...for now...Brass it is!
So far:
* RMK Model #7-5 inch
* #6 blade grind (Option #1)
* Stainless steel (Option #2)
* Brass single hilt (Standard)
* CW: Amboyna Burl (Option #3)
....Over the weekend we'll decide the rest of the option list, if any are chosen. I agree with Steve about the thin brass butt cap, if it is elected. I would also add that having it "rounded" would further reduce the weight. Thanks for helping with this build, so far. We need to decide on spacers and some good ideas have already been brought forth.
I'll check back and if you have any questions crew: Please feel free to ask away. I spent 4 1/2 hours driving in tropical depression winds-n-rain and another hour and a half in various "non-social" positions for an intense open MRI. I'm "on break" as they say til later...
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 14 of 29 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 28 29 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod