Clinton Knives Stanback Knives
Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158367 - 03/21/17 10:31 PM Re: My Ruanas [Re: rodbrown]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Let me join Rob in saying I know nothing about Ruana's.

This belongs to a fellow that may even be a lurker here. It was made 1939-1942?

It has shared DNA with a #4.

#160030 - 05/05/17 08:52 PM Re: My Ruanas [Re: tunefink]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I did not realize there a Ruana thread, period. A quick shot, good little workhorse, a tool made with all the care lavished on a same era 1963-1983 Crescent wrench. And just as trustworthy. Likely bought at same store, too.

One of the better handling tools, too.

Edited by Lofty (05/05/17 09:00 PM)

#160031 - 05/05/17 09:09 PM Re: My Ruanas [Re: rodbrown]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: rodbrown
Sorry don't know a thing about Ruana's. Could someone tell me what the M stands for just ahead of the name?

Rod, first earliest knives were not marked. Later came the RH Ruana stamp, small marks added to show temper, there was an S for salt temper, and a little knife for knife temper, I think.

Steel was Studebaker springs, and also saw blade steel. In 1962, he settled on outsourced regular 1095, and stamped an M for medium temper. That year only, all he had was a large M stamp, by 1963 he had a smaller M stamp, and those markings continued until 1983 when he retired and sold the shop/rights to his loyal s-i-l Vic (with him since '64) /daughter and his grandsons, where it became just Ruana rather than RH Ruana, and the M went away, as well.

This should be fairly close, and others free to correct, especially Pappy.

Edited by Lofty (05/05/17 09:16 PM)

#160032 - 05/05/17 09:22 PM Re: My Ruanas [Re: Lofty]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
I've only had a few Ruanas. I too always wondered what the M stood for. This all documented somewhere? Never heard this before.

#160034 - 05/05/17 09:36 PM Re: My Ruanas [Re: W Polidori]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Should be in their book, and pretty much broadcast webwide, as for the M use, the size, etc. Lacking the book, anyone is free to correct, but Behring was saying same on knives he has sold, if you google Ruana model numbers and Treeman.

As for dating, they mainly use the book and Vic's memory at the shop. There is a newer book out now, which may correct things. But generally, if a small M, that 20yr range is best anyone can do. I read of one guy asking about a rough one, and him saying he was told maybe in the 70s when Rudy's eyes starting to go, which is pretty vague. Rudy had various family members (including grandsons from sons) in and out, but Vic and his grandsons on that side apparently were the ones who stuck with it in that shop, and ended up with rights to the shop and name.

Edited by Lofty (05/05/17 09:50 PM)

#160037 - 05/06/17 12:05 AM Re: My Ruanas [Re: Lofty]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Right on Lofty. The scarce Ruanas are not marked or have the small knife stamp. The last of the Rudy made knives had the R.H.Ruana stamp but no M stamp.

On a side note, I gave my grandson a newer Ruana stamp a few years ago. He was with a buddy of his that shot a bull moose in North Idaho this past fall. There were 4 different knives in the group, but they all wanted to use the Ruana when it was their turn to carve on the moose.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#160038 - 05/06/17 12:52 AM Re: My Ruanas [Re: pappy19]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pap, I imagine it DID take several guys if they were trying to carve up a moose with a Ruana stamp (sorry, could not resist).

Thanks for chiming in, as I only go by the media echo chamber of the internet, being no Ruana collector. I have only one other, a newer 14B.

When I was quite a bit younger, Randalls started at $25, and a Ruana started at $10, and all I knew was that they were cheaper, they were rougher, but that the old guy in Montana was respected by every other knife maker in the US (all 12 of them!), and I knew I wanted a knife from this mysterious guy who was so well respected, despite rougher knives.

So, I treasure the little skinner made when Rudy was still in the shop, and which pretty much seems able to do most anything a larger skinner does. Very secure, index or thumb forward, just a little hoss. And also greatly admire the folks there, all three of them, still chugging along just like Rudy's old handmade milling machine.

If anyone has yet to see these, check them out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBKnLe7tYmU

http://bigskyjournal.com/Article/local-knowledge-ruana-knives

Quite frankly, my admiration of them is why I bought a newer knife and have another on order, it seems like a donation to a living history museum and getting a knife as a thank you.

Couple more mediocre shots of old smokey....

Hey, Pappy, did you read the older knife book (title unrecalled), where the author was discussing Ruana, and mentioned a 1961 hunting trip where his guide was using a Ruana to skin an elk? The writer was so impressed, he offered to buy the knife, and the guide replied, "gitcher own...I'm busy."

Edited by Lofty (05/06/17 01:33 AM)

#160039 - 05/06/17 11:22 AM Re: My Ruanas [Re: Lofty]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I didn't read that book, but sounds about right. My first Ruana was bought in Missoula, Montana in June 1965. I was a junior in Forestry school at Louisiana Tech and in those days, all forestry schools got 15-20 Forest Service summer jobs in western states. I was picked to be a lookout tower ranger on Pat's Knob in Plains, Montana. There were 6 of us college boys from different parts of the country. Our Fire Control Officer told us to go into Missoula and buy 2 things, a pair of White's logging boots and a Ruana knife. All 6 of us did just that.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#160040 - 05/06/17 12:36 PM Re: My Ruanas [Re: pappy19]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pappy, if my niece was not graduating today, and then headed to grad school/med school (can you spell M-E S-E-L-L K-N-I-V-E-S?), I would be posting a pic of the 14B, but morning light is bright, and busy this afternoon/evening paying too much for great seafood fresh out of the Gulf. So will post tomorrow.

But will say, still organic curves, still hollowground transitioning to convex edge, still thickens to tip, still rather vague lines (no matter what camera seems to suggest). In short, still a Ruana, only a far cleaner final finish. A truly great knife of suprising general purpose stoutness for a skinner. I could hit the woods with it, and it alone, no problem.

What the heck. One or two quick bad photos.

I really like the handle, great for med. hands, and if I squeezed a lump of clay in my hands, it would be small at bottom, bigger in middle, and medium sized at top, just like this handle design.

#160041 - 05/06/17 02:43 PM Re: My Ruanas [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Two more at graduation center parking lot, and then time to scoot.

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  pappy19, Peter_Kaufman