James Behring Knives Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158905 - 04/05/17 01:29 AM Help Identify Randall Model
Larry Ducati Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Phoenix AZ
New member here. Hope this is posted in the correct area. I got this knife 2nd hand and don't know what model it is. The shape suggests a 26, but according to the Randall catalog, it should be a 4 inch blade-this is 3 3/8. The catalog pictures a sheath with a strap and snap-this is more like a #10, but not exactly. Did they make a 26-3? It's 7 1/2 inches overall, stainless blade, nickel silver hilt, maybe walnut handle that flairs out at the end, wrist thong. Any thoughts?
(All photos are under 1.95 MB)

Attachments
IMG_3041.jpg (291 downloads)
IMG_3044.jpg (276 downloads)
IMG_3039.jpg (231 downloads)
IMG_3040.jpg (252 downloads)
------IMG_3057.jpg

Edited by Larry Ducati (04/05/17 01:34 AM)

#158908 - 04/05/17 07:48 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FL Panhandle
Maybe a GTR Special.

Ducati, huh? rode 'em for years in the 90s.
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

#158909 - 04/05/17 07:55 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Byrdguy]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Looks like an early Pathfinder to me. Eric had a knife in a thread here not long ago looked the same. Seem to recall early ones were not marked.

#158910 - 04/05/17 08:15 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: W Polidori]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
It is not a #26 in my opinion. I believe it is a GTR Special, 3 1/2” blade of 3/16 stainless. Approx. 4” handle.. Nice Knife!

#158913 - 04/05/17 08:43 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Eric]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Spring Hill, Florida
It is a Model 26 with a short blade. Early Pathfinder sheath.
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#158914 - 04/05/17 08:49 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Tattoo Bill]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Bill,

Didn't some of the show up in Jack Criders green catalog?

#158915 - 04/05/17 08:50 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Tattoo Bill]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
It's an #11-31/4"...the little #11, on the "non-catalog" list
:-)Rocky

Edited by thevalueman (04/05/17 08:52 AM)
RKCC#25

#158917 - 04/05/17 09:06 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: thevalueman]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
The GTR has more of a hump on the back near the hilt and the shape is wrong for the 11... I vote for a version of a #26.

Just my $0.02.

#158918 - 04/05/17 09:21 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: tunefink]
desert.snake Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
There is a small hump. Maybe they started to do it as a GTR,
but they overgrind the tip and had to redo it into
a small version #26?

In any case, the knife is very cool!! smile

#158919 - 04/05/17 09:23 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: thevalueman]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

TB, Wouldn't a early #26 have a different blade grind.

Attachments
------04-07-16 (16).JPG

------04-07-16 (17).JPG

#158922 - 04/05/17 09:49 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: W Polidori]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: W Polidori
Bill,

Didn't some of the show up in Jack Criders green catalog?

Those had standard or slightly longer blade lengths.

One other option that is plausible.....

Could it be one of Dave Griffin's Drop Point knives?

Maybe Scott has some clues?
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#158923 - 04/05/17 10:18 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Tattoo Bill]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
Sorry gentleman, but you're all mistaken...this is one of the stolen BLADES knives from the "raspy voice" dude from a few years back...long story...maybe another day...

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

#158924 - 04/05/17 10:34 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Dirty_Water]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rhutt Rhoo!!!!

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#158925 - 04/05/17 10:38 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: RamKingJC]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thank you Scott. Another mystery solved!
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#158926 - 04/05/17 10:57 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Tattoo Bill]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New York
For all of us relative 'newbies' on the scene, please don't leave us hanging. Inquiring minds want to know.

What's the deal with "the stolen BLADE knives from the "raspy voice" dude a few years back"? Can we get at least a capsule summary of the situation?

Is the pictured knife a genuine RMK shop-made knife? Is it a fake? Is it an altered shop-made knife? How it is identified as one of "the stolen BLADE knives from the raspy voice dude"? What model is it (or what model is it supposed to be)? To my relatively inexperienced eye, it looks more like a scaled-down Model 26 than anything else.

Thanks.

Bob
RKCC #622

#158927 - 04/05/17 11:07 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Dirty_Water]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tallahassee FL
Originally Posted By: Dirty_Water
Sorry gentleman, but you're all mistaken...this is one of the stolen BLADES knives from the "raspy voice" dude from a few years back...long story...maybe another day...

I figured this thread could get interesting but had no idea it would be THIS interesting. Carry on men. ;-)

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

#158928 - 04/05/17 11:12 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: JE6245]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I want to caution using the terms "fake" and "altered" interchangeably. They are two distinct animals.

Fakes are readily identifiable as is the knife Tune posted.

Altered can sometimes throw a curve ball as this one did until DW chimed in.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#158929 - 04/05/17 11:17 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: crutchtip]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
The sheath appears correct...and Scott is also. I almost held this dude at my table, many moons ago, long enough to get the "Law-Dogs" to question him. He was walking around a Lakeland gun show with about 20 altered RMK's on a bandalero belt, over one shoulder! Many were Model #14's, #15's, etc. and all of those sheaths were fake, i.e. having not been made by Sullivans or Johnson. They had the correct-looking sheath "stamp" but not correct leather. It should be noted that I have downloaded these pics to my computer for a better look.
This guy did, indeed, have a very raspy voice. He was short and heavy set, wearing large Rx glasses, highly magnified. He was buddies with Charlie Scannapeico and, after the Lakeland encounter, he submerged...not to be seen again!
Caveat Emptor,
Capt. Chris
PS: I'm back...but swamped...CCS

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (04/05/17 11:45 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#158934 - 04/05/17 02:13 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Larry Ducati Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks for the info so far. More photos attached. The blade is only 7/8 inch at its widest, 3/16 stock. Handle length, including the spacer, is 3 13/16.
It doesn't have the blade width of the 11 3 1/4, and the stamp on the blade is straight not angled. Handle length and stated sheath don't match.
It has a drop point, unlike the GTR.
The grind differs from the Dave Griffin photos I can see online. His sheath maker seams to be the same as mine. My sheath has no "R", and has Fla. in the stamp. My blade is stamped with Fl.
I bought it from a gun dealer's table at a gun show in Phoenix. I am happy to entertain that it may be altered, or mismatched to the sheath. But, I have lots of other Randalls, purchased directly from RMK, and the fit and finish of this one appear just as finely done and original as any. It doesn't appear altered, and why would someone alter one?
Happy to show it to anyone more knowledgeable than me in the Phoenix area if interested.

Attachments
------IMG_3065.jpg

------IMG_3061.jpg

#158935 - 04/05/17 02:24 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Stolen blade, done outside the shop, MAYBE from former employee, looks like crap when next to one directly from the shop...sheath most likely done with the same equipment as your original because their the SAME machines, a little BYRDie did it...

Scott
RKS #014

#158951 - 04/06/17 02:34 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Larry Ducati Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input. I knew I came to the right spot for answers.
The sheath was made by Byrd, and stamped with RMK to deceive?
Since the guesses have stopped, I take it the last post is the consensus opinion? If I understand correctly, reading these posts and the revived "Randall Phony Alert" thread, something about my "26" knife (shape, size, grind, finish) gives clues to the trained eye, that this is 1 of 20 or so knives made from blanks stolen from RMK, and finished off outside the shop by the someone else, (maybe the thief), 10 years ago. A person with skills, equipment, factory training, and other Randall materials to convincingly mimic factory work, by shaping the blade and handle, assembling and finishing the knife, but also altering the knife to a degree that makes it unique.
The logo stamp appears correct, so he must have gotten the blank after that stage, before assembly. A very rare knife indeed, but not a true factory RMK, if true.
On the other hand, comparing it to another small factory RMK, a 4-4, it shows many similarities, and does not look like crap. Like the way the hilt is fitted to the blade and soldered in place. The hilt on the "26" is larger, but I note on photos of Dave Griffin drop points, different size hilts are seen on small knives, so Randall did do this. The spacers and thong installation seem comparable to other Randalls. The handle seems similar to other teardrop Randalls. Looks like it could dance with the 25-5.
Who ever finished this knife was talented- it's better than other handmade knives I've paid more for. Makes sense he might have been an ex employee. Or a real employee, done on the factory line. Don't know which story I wish were true. I should name this knife Occam's Razor. (see photos for examples)

Attachments
IMG_3071.jpg (161 downloads)
IMG_3070.jpg (155 downloads)
IMG_3072.jpg (182 downloads)
IMG_3073.jpg (218 downloads)

#158952 - 04/06/17 08:09 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I resized your pics.

Attachments
------IMG_3070.jpg

------IMG_3071.jpg

------IMG_3072.jpg

------IMG_3073.jpg

#158953 - 04/06/17 09:08 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Eric]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Actually, it does make for a pretty cool story. Interesting piece of Randall lore. Maybe buying that knife was not such a bad thing after all.

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

#158955 - 04/06/17 09:18 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: JE6245]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Sure, as long as your OK with NO warranty and a "polex" instead of a Rolex...

"it shows many similarities, and does not look like crap"

Directly compared to a RMK shop produced model 26...YES, it does

Scott
RKS #014

#158956 - 04/06/17 09:56 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Dirty_Water]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Okay, okay, I get it. Just trying to make a little lemonade from the lemons (or chicken salad front the chicken xxxx). Besides, most of my Randalls have no warranty since I'm not the original owner. And, I still think it's is an interesting bit of Randall lore even if it does have a shady side. A Thumbless Joe Bagadonuts Special. ;-)

Me 2020

#158958 - 04/06/17 10:06 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: JE6245]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

It's not interesting at all to some folks...

It's a blatant slap in the face to the people who have spent the better part of their lives making ACTUAL Randall knives and taking pride in the amount of hard work, time , and skill they have actually put into building and maintaining a name.

"Interesting" and "Randall lore" do not even belong anywhere near this...

Edited by RamKingJC (04/06/17 10:12 AM)

#158959 - 04/06/17 10:21 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: RamKingJC]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone.

Me 2020

#158962 - 04/06/17 10:40 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: JE6245]
Windsor Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
Originally Posted By: JE6245
Besides, most of my Randalls have no warranty since I'm not the original owner.

The warranty doesn't transfer?

#158963 - 04/06/17 12:32 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Windsor]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

No offense taken from u my friend, just the raspy voice dude...

Scott
RKS #014

#158964 - 04/06/17 12:37 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Windsor]
jamesri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
I Have a question I have asked before but never gotten an answer. I bought a knife years back very inexpensive knew it was modified with almost a saw teeth no saw teeth grind on a model 23. The thing I found interesting was etched on the blade is owner modified. So the question is who etched it? If someone was trying to past it off as a rare they would not have done it. Would the shop have etched it if it went in for warranty work and told the owner it was not under warranty and would only send it back with the etching. Can anyone shed some light on the etching.

James A. Moscatelli

#158965 - 04/06/17 12:37 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Windsor]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Please permit me to share some thoughts on what strikes me as being “the elephant in the room” regarding the discussion on this thread.

Nothing in this comment is, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Nothing in this comment is, nor is it intended to be, an accusation, allegation or assertion of any crime and/or any malfeasance or impropriety.

Has any consideration been given to the potential ramifications of the pictured knife being confirmed as one of the “raspy voice dude” or similarly described blades? If so confirmed, then it may be possible that the knife could, depending upon the law of the state/local jurisdiction, be classified as stolen property. Such a classification could potentially give rise to both criminal and civil law concerns.

From a criminal law perspective, under the penal code of most states, possession of what is alleged or known to be stolen property may result in criminal charges/allegations being filed (which is certainly not the same as a conviction, but who needs the time, expense and grief?). Whether this could occur depends upon numerous factors, including, among others, whether the possessor knew or knows that the property was stolen, and the possessor’s intent in taking possession of the property. The laws of the state/local jurisdiction should be reviewed, or a local attorney should be consulted, to determine potential concerns regarding any particular circumstances.

From a civil law perspective, under the common or commercial law of most states, RMK, as the original owner of the stolen blades, retains its ownership interest in them, and has the right to recover its previously stolen property. This is expressed in the legal rules "Nemo dat quod non habet" ("He who hath not, cannot give") and "Nemo plus iuris ad alium transferre potest quam ipse habet" (“No one can transfer more right to another than he has himself”). Translations/definitions from Black's Law Dictionary. By way of example, consider the lawsuits filed to recover art and other personal property stolen/looted by the Nazis during WWII and the Holocaust. These recovery lawsuits were often filed by the original owners (or their descendants) under these, or similar, laws/rules/legal concepts.

In short, these civil laws/rules mean that a thief has no valid title or right in, or to, what he stole, and so he cannot sell or transfer valid title to the item. Conversely, a buyer of a stolen item obtains physical possession only, and does not purchase ownership title or right in or to the item. Put another way, the buyer can't buy what the seller never had to sell (which for stolen goods is valid title or ownership right). These rules usually apply even if the buyer is an 'innocent' purchaser (also known as a "bona fide" purchaser), meaning one who doesn't know that the item was stolen, or that the seller had no right to claim ownership of the item. Many states/jurisdictions provide for exceptions to these rules for a bona fide purchaser, often providing him/her recourse against the seller of the item (though usually not against the original 'rightful' owner from whom the property was stolen). Again, the laws of the state/local jurisdiction should be reviewed, or a local attorney consulted, to determine potential concerns regarding any particular circumstances.

While I appreciate the knowledge and information shared on this thread, given these circumstances and the possible ramifications, certain comments made in a public forum discussion may not be the wisest course of action.

Just some food for thought...

Bob
RKCC #622

#158966 - 04/06/17 01:17 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: rfcarlin]
desert.snake Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
My friend bought an apartment, a few years later it turned
out that the seller fraudulently took possession
of the documents for the apartment (having processed
the psychotropic substances of the real owner and
received his signature). As a result, the apartment was
seized and my friend is forced to live with relatives.
But he was not arrested, since he did not know that the
apartment was stolen - this big problem.

In this case, I do not see any problems.
I think the following way.

RMK was looking for these blades via police,
and is there a complete list of them with a description
(or photo) so can accurately determine what exactly
they were stolen?

If can not documentably determine that this is a stolen
blade, then we can say that it's just a modified
by an unknown person blade # 26 and not assembled
in the store.
That is, it is not subject to withdrawal,
but the guarantee does not apply to it.

It's just my 2 pennies smile

#158967 - 04/06/17 03:08 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Larry Ducati Offline
Knife Enthusiast

After speaking directly with Scott at Randall Made Knives, I am convinced this knife is in fact made from a blade stolen from RMK, and finished by someone else. He shared with me characteristics that he saw that identified it as such, and some of the background to the story.
My voice is not raspy, and I have never been to Florida. My intent was never to pass this knife off as something it was not. That is why I did not offer it for sale, but asked for input on what model it was, on a Randall forum. Turns out it was part of a theft years ago. RMK does not wish the knife returned to them, as much time has passed since the theft.
Since the blade itself is genuine stock and of high quality, Scott suggested having it re-handled by Behring, to make it unique, and no longer something that can deceive others by being represented as a Randall Made Knife. I will look into that, and maybe have a truly special knife.
Thanks to Scott and all who helped this thread along.

#158968 - 04/06/17 03:19 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

THAT is a perfect solution!!!! James and Grant will set you up with a very unique package!

#158970 - 04/06/17 04:35 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: RamKingJC]
Tracer Offline
Knife Enthusiast

OP did the right thing.

The James Gang will do right by you and the blade stock. Post pics when they do!
Webley Collector

#158971 - 04/06/17 04:45 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Tracer]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Very cool. Well done.

Me 2020

#158973 - 04/06/17 05:04 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: JE6245]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Larry,

Scott has a great idea to have Behring Made do a re-handle on your knife. It certainly will turn out great whatever you decide "but" I have an offer that might interest you. Lets turn a couple of wrongs into a right. Grant Cunningham at BMK has a piece of my Fossil Walrus Ivory that I'll donate should you wish to turn this into a showstopper. The handle will need to be trimmed down some to fit this blade, let them work out the details. You have other options to deal with them as well.
Grant won't be back until early next week from the Oregon show. You are free to contact him if you want to proceed. It would keep your cost down and you won't be disappointed. This is totally your call and under no obligation. Best wishes.

Attachments
------513204616.jpg

------513204614.jpg

------513204618.jpg

#158974 - 04/06/17 05:33 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: W Polidori]
Larry Ducati Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thank you W Polidori, for your generous offer. I have always wanted an ivory handled knife and will look into that with BMK.
Larry

#158976 - 04/06/17 06:32 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

This just keeps getter better and better. Warren that's a great thing you've done. Larry -- They can also fix you up with a nice sheath to go with that. Mudbone comes to mind for some reason. ;-)

Me 2020

#158977 - 04/06/17 06:35 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: W Polidori]
rodbrown Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: W Polidori
Larry,

Scott has a great idea to have Behring Made do a re-handle on your knife. It certainly will turn out great whatever you decide "but" I have an offer that might interest you. Lets turn a couple of wrongs into a right. Grant Cunningham at BMK has a piece of my Fossil Walrus Ivory that I'll donate should you wish to turn this into a showstopper. The handle will need to be trimmed down some to fit this blade, let them work out the details. You have other options to deal with them as well.
Grant won't be back until early next week from the Oregon show. You are free to contact him if you want to proceed. It would keep your cost down and you won't be disappointed. This is totally your call and under no obligation. Best wishes.

Kind beyond words, Warren.
Whether you think you can or can not, you are right.

#158979 - 04/06/17 06:59 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: rodbrown]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Randall Knives Matter!!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

I had a great conversation with Mr Ducati, and the results that this forum is leading to regarding the blade makes me very proud to be a part of the KTF! You guys rock!

Who would have thunk it...Warren; a nice guy afterall...LOL

Scott
RKS #014

#158980 - 04/06/17 07:00 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: rodbrown]
CrazyCajun Online
Knife Enthusiast

Hmmm!!! More "Randall Lore"??? Warren steppin up! Bam!!!!!!!
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#158981 - 04/06/17 07:03 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: CrazyCajun]
CrazyCajun Online
Knife Enthusiast

Yeah DW.... I too, was wondering what the alien's had done with the real Warren!!! Double LOL
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#158983 - 04/06/17 07:20 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: CrazyCajun]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Warren, that is a crazy generous offer.

Great looking piece of FWI which would make a stunning handle for this knife.

Silver lining indeed.
RKCC #622

#158984 - 04/06/17 07:22 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: jamesri]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: jamesri
I Have a question I have asked before but never gotten an answer. I bought a knife years back very inexpensive knew it was modified with almost a saw teeth no saw teeth grind on a model 23. The thing I found interesting was etched on the blade is owner modified. So the question is who etched it? If someone was trying to past it off as a rare they would not have done it. Would the shop have etched it if it went in for warranty work and told the owner it was not under warranty and would only send it back with the etching. Can anyone shed some light on the etching.

James A. Moscatelli

Good to see you posting agin been a long time. You still have your Bowles collection going?
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#158993 - 04/06/17 08:23 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Chief]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

If I could see a pic of the etching I could probably tell you if shop did it or not...but this is something we wouldn't do today...

Scott
RKS #014

#158994 - 04/06/17 08:26 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Dirty_Water]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Water
Randall Knives Matter!!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

I had a great conversation with Mr Ducati, and the results that this forum is leading to regarding the blade makes me very proud to be a part of the KTF! You guys rock!

Who would have thunk it...Warren; a nice guy afterall...LOL

Well there have been many responses "but" I'll give ya kudos for the idea DW.
Premise comes down to a new guy who buys what he thinks is a Randall Made knife. He came to this Forum for help.
Way to make things right.

#158999 - 04/06/17 09:42 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: W Polidori]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Larry, Just an example of Fossil Walrus Ivory on a #26

Attachments
------IMG_0504.JPG

#159000 - 04/06/17 10:14 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Eric]
Larry Ducati Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Eric, thanks for resizing my photos, don't know how to do that yet.
Beautiful knife, handle material, engraving and all.

#159005 - 04/07/17 06:46 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: W Polidori]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
You're a good man Warren!

Larry this is what the forums all about.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#159011 - 04/07/17 10:26 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Chief]
jamesri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
Hello Chief, hope you are well. I have been around I have not done much buying lately, but I still have the whole collection. I have added a few pieces but only if they are very special in context of the embellished Randall's or the work of Leschorn.

James A. Moscatelli

#159027 - 04/08/17 02:59 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Quote:
Thanks for all the input. I knew I came to the right spot for answers.
The sheath was made by Byrd, and stamped with RMK to deceive?
Since the guesses have stopped, I take it the last post is the consensus opinion? If I understand correctly, reading these posts and the revived "Randall Phony Alert" thread, something about my "26" knife (shape, size, grind, finish) gives clues to the trained eye, that this is 1 of 20 or so knives made from blanks stolen from RMK, and finished off outside the shop by the someone else, (maybe the thief), 10 years ago. A person with skills, equipment, factory training, and other Randall materials to convincingly mimic factory work, by shaping the blade and handle, assembling and finishing the knife, but also altering the knife to a degree that makes it unique.
The logo stamp appears correct, so he must have gotten the blank after that stage, before assembly. A very rare knife indeed, but not a true factory RMK, if true.
On the other hand, comparing it to another small factory RMK, a 4-4, it shows many similarities, and does not look like crap. Like the way the hilt is fitted to the blade and soldered in place. The hilt on the "26" is larger, but I note on photos of Dave Griffin drop points, different size hilts are seen on small knives, so Randall did do this. The spacers and thong installation seem comparable to other Randalls. The handle seems similar to other teardrop Randalls. Looks like it could dance with the 25-5.
Who ever finished this knife was talented- it's better than other handmade knives I've paid more for. Makes sense he might have been an ex employee. Or a real employee, done on the factory line. Don't know which story I wish were true. I should name this knife Occam's Razor. (see photos for examples)

Larry can we please see some good photos of the sheath.
Thanks.

Edited by tunefink (04/08/17 06:53 AM)
RKS#2166

#159041 - 04/08/17 05:21 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Larry Ducati Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The sheath is apparently made by Byrd, and is slightly too long for this knife. Notice that the "Randall Made Knives" is a light strike. The "Orlando, Fla." and the side diamonds are a deeper punch into the leather. The other sheath is a factory 25-5 from 2002.

Attachments
------IMG_3093.jpg

------IMG_3094.jpg

------IMG_3095.jpg

------IMG_3098.jpg

#159065 - 04/09/17 03:17 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Thanks Larry. Yes I would agree without a doubt that this is a sheath made by Floyd Byrd. I hate to see him do this as he makes some fine Sheaths.
RKS#2166

#159297 - 04/13/17 12:50 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Ronnie]
Behring Made Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Missoula, MT, USA
En route to BMK!

Edited by Behring Made (04/13/17 12:50 PM)

#160442 - 05/17/17 10:33 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Larry Ducati Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I received the re-handled Randall in the mail today from Behring Made Knives. Thank you again to Warren for his generous donation of a piece of fossilized walrus ivory. It really made this knife. Through communications with Grant at BMK, me sending him photos of handle shapes, spacer sizes and colors, and ideas of what is practical to do, we agreed on the build. James then ground off the old handle and hilt and built this lovely knife.
My goal was to have a simple design, showing off the quality of the ivory. I thought copper and black in simple even sized spacers, would be be appropriate. I requested a crows beak shaped handle, with a coke bottle swell to the middle of it. They accomplished that perfectly. The guard was to be copper to match the spacers. The shape and size was James' doing, dictated by the handle contour and diameter, and it feels great in hand. It is slightly handle heavy, with the balance point just back of the forefinger. The ivory has a smooth, dense feel to it.
For the sheath I wanted it simple again, no embellishments, fringe, brass, or carving. I requested a high quality black leather Warlander pouch sheath, with copper rivets, to compliment the knife colors. It fits snugly inside, and is stamped on the back with both makers' marks.
I think BMK took a Randall blade that had a dark history, and made it into a one of a kind masterpiece. Thanks to all. What do you think?

Attachments
------IMG_3212.jpg

------IMG_3207.jpg

------IMG_3208.jpg

------IMG_3209.jpg

------IMG_3210.jpg

------IMG_3211.jpg

#160443 - 05/17/17 10:34 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Tracer Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Looking sharp. Those Behring boys...
Webley Collector

#160445 - 05/17/17 11:16 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Tracer]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Another James Gang home run. A real beauty. Congrats!!

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#160447 - 05/18/17 06:09 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: pappy19]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Came out awesome Larry. You need to post this in the Rehandled Knives thread in BMK forum.

#160449 - 05/18/17 09:55 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
Larry,

Great new life BMK gave to that knife!

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#160451 - 05/18/17 10:21 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: GCTom41]
Windsor Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
That turned out great.

I also appreciate the whole "righting a wrong" process.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod