Clinton Knives Randall Made Knife
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#15422 - 03/05/07 09:00 PM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: Edge1302]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Indiana
Nope & Nope…Trevor is not carrying that, or any other knife right now. You need to know what your dealing with before you let him take off in the woods with that..He can sharpen a knife better than most…kinda scary

I don’t carry a BP anymore….I love big knives, but don’t really need or like carrying them..too much hardware. I carry a Wharncliffe Trapper in D-2 that I made and that’s enough for me. In the past when I did try,…. I carried a few Bose, then I made my own, carried some of these (knives with tons of mistakes).

I think it’s a great hobby collecting knives, but a maker…even a wanna be like me should carry his own.

Attachments
15026-JpNPBs.jpg (195 downloads)

#15423 - 03/05/07 10:02 PM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: John_Nugent]
RAN Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Good Lookin blades John..Trevor must gets his skills from his old man..
but its almost criminal not to cary that Stag BP..surrender that knife sir and you will not face charges

#15424 - 03/06/07 02:34 AM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: John_Nugent]
Dwight_Hughes Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Arkansas, USA
Quote:

I think it’s a great hobby collecting knives, but a maker…even a wanna be like me should carry his own.

John, I salute you. I totally agree. I have to really wonder about any maker that doesn't carry and use his own knives -- I don't think I would ever want to buy a knife from such a maker (and it's more common than you might think). I've heard it called "eating your own dogfood" -- you have a real incentive to improve when you have to put up with and actively use your own work -- be it food, software, furniture, tools, knives, whatever -- and you gain far more insight into your craft in the process.

#15425 - 03/06/07 07:37 AM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: Dwight_Hughes]
Tony Bose Offline
Knifemaker

I have had people tell me it doesn't cost me anything to carry my own knives but it cost me as much as anyone, if I wasn't carrying it I would be selling it. I can't carry across the counter anymore, they just don't do it for me.

#15426 - 03/06/07 08:58 AM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: Tony Bose]
jt2gt Offline
Knife Enthusiast

OK...guys, here is a quick and not so good pic of my effort yesterday. Not too excited about the color of this leather but it was the thinnest strongest stuff I could find. I needed it thin to fit in the smaller lanyard hole of this great 4inch RB stag Millenium I have been carrying.

Thanks JpN for the run through.

An thanks Tony for chiming in on the forums...I really like it when I see his name up (hope its really him ).

JT

Attachments
15042-RBStag001.jpg (212 downloads)

Edited by jt2gt (03/06/07 09:52 AM)

#15427 - 03/06/07 09:46 AM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: jt2gt]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Whatchu talking bout Willes…that looks Great!

#15428 - 03/06/07 10:12 AM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: John_Nugent]
fasteddie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

JT, good first effort on the thong, but you need to send that knife back. The edges are all fuzzy.

JPN, I've also seen instructions for that thong in some old leathercraft books. What I haven't seen is the reason to use it...always thought it was just for decoration... or the idea of wetting the leather first. I'll have to give that a try. Tell Trevor I'll trade him an X-box for that BP if he wants.

#15429 - 03/06/07 10:16 AM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: Dwight_Hughes]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Dwight for the kind words. You make a lot of sense.
My EDC may have a few (a lot) of mistakes…but I made them so I can’t complain. Making knives has given me a whole new appreciation for the small things that makers put into their work. Recently I saw a pearl scale with a Shield inlayed in it…totally blew me away. It truly was a work of art. Without trying to do that I would have never know how tuff it is/was….

Ed, you may get farther with a Wii...but I doubt it.

#15430 - 03/06/07 11:19 AM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: John_Nugent]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Loc: Terre Haute, IN
me like! Trevor has a nice knife and made by his dad...even better.

#15431 - 03/06/07 11:23 AM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: kdhampton]
fasteddie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I don't currently have a leather thong on a bose knife, but here's one I made for a different knife. Forgive me for straying again.

Attachments
15056-lovett-stiff-horn-thong.jpg (197 downloads)

Edited by fasteddie (03/06/07 11:27 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton