Nifeboy.com Randall Made Knife
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149801 - 09/13/16 12:38 PM Is anyone familiar with Casa Zea, Juarez Mexico? *****
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
A couple of weeks ago, I picked on a custom sheath for my Buck 110 on eBay. It caught my attention because of its unique Western styling and unusual design. When the sheath arrived, I was blown away by its quality and craftsmanship. It was absolutely beautiful! My 110 fits in the sheath as if it was custom made for my personal knife. The saddle leather is rich in color, the stitching was obviously done by hand, and the four brass rivets add a feeling of strength and rigidity.

On the back of the sheath, there is a small maker’s stamp that reads, “Casa Zea, Juarez Mexico”. I searched the internet to learn more about Casa Zea, but unfortunately, I didn’t find much information. I did discover that Casa Zea was located across the border of El Paso, Texas and was one of Mexico’s finest leather shops. They offered handmade saddles, bridles, boots, gunbelts, bullwhips, rifle scabbards, and of course, knife sheaths. I also found a reference that Casa Zea closed in the 80s.

Here is an old post card that I found on the internet showing the Casa Zea store front and below is my new sheath. If anyone has more information, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

RKS #4233

#149802 - 09/13/16 02:01 PM Re: Is anyone familiar with Casa Zea, Juarez Mexico? [Re: TAH]
maxpastor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: South West
Tom, I have been there many times. in the late 70's and early 80's, My Dad, my wife and I would go to Juarez about twice a month to the flea market. I would always stop at Casa Zea, we have bought everything from lady's hand bags to Chaps. Great find there Tom.
max
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

RKCC #502

#149826 - 09/13/16 06:15 PM Re: Is anyone familiar with Casa Zea, Juarez Mexico? [Re: maxpastor]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Oh, you better send that knife sheath my way.
The brown leather does not match the black belt and silver sand cast buckle

smile grin
Molon Labe

#149834 - 09/13/16 06:57 PM Re: Is anyone familiar with Casa Zea, Juarez Mexico? [Re: BladesNBarrels]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FL Panhandle
I REALLY like that sheath.
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

#149835 - 09/13/16 06:58 PM Re: Is anyone familiar with Casa Zea, Juarez Mexico? [Re: BladesNBarrels]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: BladesNBarrels
Oh, you better send that knife sheath my way.
The brown leather does not match the black belt and silver sand cast buckle

smile grin

David, actually, it's a dark brown belt that perfectly matches the ebony scales. wink grin

Max, any idea if Casa Zea is still in business?
RKS #4233

#149837 - 09/13/16 06:59 PM Re: Is anyone familiar with Casa Zea, Juarez Mexico? [Re: Byrdguy]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Byrdguy
I REALLY like that sheath.

Thanks Pat. I'm pretty jacked up about it. smile
RKS #4233

#149849 - 09/13/16 08:15 PM Re: Is anyone familiar with Casa Zea, Juarez Mexico? [Re: TAH]
maxpastor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Tom, I was the Project Engineer on the Border Fence from 07 to 09. I was retired, however the USCOE called me back for Boots on the ground to start this projects. the Violence was so bad in those days, we were not allow to cross the border. So no military or Government Agents were allow to go into Mexico. (legally) the last time I was there was in 05 when I returned from Iraq. we when down for a shopping trip but I didn't go to Casa Zea.

I haven't been over to Juarez since then.

max
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

RKCC #502

#149864 - 09/14/16 07:08 AM Re: Is anyone familiar with Casa Zea, Juarez Mexico? [Re: maxpastor]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Max. So perhaps the reference saying that Casa Zea closed in the late 80s is accurate.
RKS #4233

#149873 - 09/14/16 10:35 AM Re: Is anyone familiar with Casa Zea, Juarez Mexico? [Re: TAH]
maxpastor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Sad to say, but it is very possible.

it is very bad for everyone living in Juarez because of the Drug Cartel there.

They made some great leather items. My wife said she can almost still smell the leather in the shop.

you have a great find there Tom

RKCC #502

#149889 - 09/14/16 01:24 PM Re: Is anyone familiar with Casa Zea, Juarez Mexico? [Re: maxpastor]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: maxpastor
My wife said she can almost still smell the leather in the shop.

Me too and I've never been there. I'm a sucker for high quality leather goods. Thanks for the information, Max.
RKS #4233

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman