Clinton Knives Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 134 of 170 < 1 2 ... 132 133 134 135 136 ... 169 170 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149271 - 08/31/16 09:36 PM Re: This Old Randall * [Re: thevalueman]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

For 20 years I had one RMK, only one. 10/11 years ago I decided I should have another one. It's funny to me how collecting evolves, in just the past year I've become so much more attracted to the older knives. Folks in my shoes are fortunate to have the trustworthy dealers and expert collectors and history buffs to lean on and try to learn from on this forum. The anonymity and lack of personality that a keyboard creates is a small price to pay. No where else could I learn as much as I do here.

(Capt. Chris holding General Westmorelands Ivory handled 5-6)

#149301 - 09/01/16 08:50 AM Re: This Old Randall [Re: Wally]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Wally,

Very well said! I agree.

And sometimes ... eventually, that anonymity starts to disolve as we get the chance to meet in person...
like at a knife show, or during a trip to the shop.

Keep On Keeping The Faith Brothers!

Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#149309 - 09/01/16 09:12 AM Re: This Old Randall [Re: tunefink]
Hanks Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: South Florida
Why are the grips reversed? What benefit does it bring?

#149310 - 09/01/16 09:14 AM Re: This Old Randall [Re: Wally]
voodoo Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: florida
I also agree with that statement from the Capt. I learn so much from this forum and all information that is passed on.There is so much to know about the Randall world. It seems the more i learn i realize how little i know....

#149320 - 09/01/16 10:01 AM Re: This Old Randall [Re: Hanks]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Hanks
Why are the grips reversed? What benefit does it bring?

Assuming you are right handed...
Lay your model one on a table in front of you, with the logo side up. The tip should be pointing away from you. As you pick the knife up, the web between your thumb and forefinger goes under the hilt on the edged side of the blade, and your forefinger by itself goes over the hilt on the spine side of the blade. Your other 3 fingers grip the handle. This grip allows for a strong push and pull. It is believed that the hardest blow to defend against is delivered from low at an angle. It sounds unusual, but will grow on you quickly.

#149329 - 09/01/16 11:36 AM Re: This Old Randall [Re: Wally]
Hanks Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: South Florida
Thank you Wally. I will perform the experiment tonight.

#149361 - 09/01/16 09:12 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: crutchtip]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Quote...
IF you read Gaddis, he clearly states the Zach knives ordered were stag. I don't believe the three additional were in the same configuration as Mitchell's knife. Two were ordered in November of 42 (when the switch to leather was finalized) with the last ordered in January 43. These stag knives had handles similar as pictured in Gaddis page 67 but with crown.

Neither myself or Mitchell think Bo made more than a handful of his type of knife. I don't think maybe half a dozen. As I have stated, they were not the best for utilitarian use because of the upside down handle with grips. Also, the labor involved shaping the hilt was prohibitive versus a conventional hilt I would think. ...end quote

Joe, I think I understand your explanation now, Mitchells knife is the closest thing to Lt. Zacharias' knife known. Lt. Zacharias placed orders for three more, after changes had been implemented that rule out "duplicating" Zacharias' personal knife.
Since Mitchell's knife is sooo close to a copy of Lt. Zacharias', it stands to reason that it was made closest to the same time period. The biggest differences, no fuller in Mitchell's blade, and it's not crown stag.
So, it's possible the "Zach" and Mitchell's knife are brothers? Perhaps even made the same day, or a day or two apart? It's even conceivable that these are the only 2 of thier kind. They are the only two known with initials of their style in the butt. Maybe. The pictured knife, photo # 49, on page 67 of Gaddis, could it be... more initials?

#149372 - 09/02/16 12:53 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: Wally]
Fairbairn Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Oakville Ontario Canada
Wally, I have had the same kind of experience you described. I ordered my first Randall in 1970, and received it in 1973. Since then, I have picked up others including some later discovered to be rare, to some extent, including brass backed Smithsonian, Shaw Lebowitz, and a funny little knife that Gary Randall told me was about one of two dozen made. My collection, if I can call it that, now numbers 36 Randalls, with three more on the way, sometime. Is collecting Randalls a disease? Is there a cure?

Fairbairn/Pete

#149387 - 09/02/16 05:20 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: Fairbairn]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FL Panhandle
Cure??? BWHAAAHAAAA!!! grin
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

#149394 - 09/02/16 06:18 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: Byrdguy]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Both. Neither can thrive without the other!
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

Page 134 of 170 < 1 2 ... 132 133 134 135 136 ... 169 170 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod