Clinton Knives Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 32 of 51 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 50 51 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148844 - 08/26/16 08:22 AM Re: Knife of the Week Model 18 * [Re: Byrdguy]
Zogger Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Byrdguy
Don't forget to get your handle kit assembled and stowed. There are threads on that also. 18s are so cool.

I found a Walgreen's pill container that fits in the handle nicely. Now to look at the threads to see what to put in it.

Edited by Zogger (08/26/16 10:49 AM)

#148850 - 08/26/16 09:17 AM Re: Knife of the Week Model 18 [Re: Zogger]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Zogger
I found a Walgreen's pill container that fits in the handle nicely. Now to look at the threads to see what t put in tit.

Tit? Let's keep it clean, buddy. grin

Zog,

I wouldn't waste any space using a pill container. The handle is already waterproof. No reason to double up.

As for selecting survival items, HERE is an old thread that might be helpful. Some of the links might not be active anymore, but it's a good place to start. Does your buttcap have a compass?

My handle is mostly set up with fire making items...

RKS #4233

#148866 - 08/26/16 01:36 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 18 [Re: Shelley]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
Great & Beautiful Knife! You are going to so enjoy your new #18, and your paracord wrap looks outstanding too. I've done that at least a couple times and it always felt really good in camp, hikes....using it. This is just another great thing about this specific Randall.....just another good reason to play with (lovingly fondle) it while watching the tube with your lovely wife......trying different handle material, allowing oil from your hands to soften the "racquetball racquet" leather grip (my personal favorite), etc., etc. AND listing, adding to & crossing off your personal survival items using this Forum for info.
ENJOY!!!
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#148867 - 08/26/16 01:39 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 18 [Re: TAH]
Zogger Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks! I will review the link.

#148868 - 08/26/16 01:40 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 18 [Re: Zogger]
Windsor Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
Originally Posted By: Zogger
Originally Posted By: Shelley
Great knife, you will love it, just watch your fingers when cleaning the teeth, they be sharp!

I almost got nicked putting on the paracord!

Yeah, it may be worth breaking out the painters tape or (even better) duct tape on the sharp bits.

If the duct tape leaves any goo residue, WD40 will take it off easily enough.

#148878 - 08/26/16 07:14 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 18 [Re: Windsor]
Shelley Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New Zealand
Well the tube can be useful when you dump everything out in the rain onto the grass to find the matches...one guy had a tube with morse code on it, may not be useful but was way cool!

Now as for the sheath I found that a leatherman micra, the everlasting brass striker that Tom (TAH) shows and some tinder in a small plastic bag fits into the stone stower bit, (I never use the stone, just out it away somewhere).
Oh and wax the sheath, I use Snowseal but there are many different options, add some extra paracord to it and you are good to go.

In the tube I keep more tinder, a compass (removeable one), matches, safety pins, hooks, sinkers, swivels, needles, theard, fishing line (more line is wrapped around the handle under the paracord) duct tape, match striker...think that's it.

#148879 - 08/26/16 07:59 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 18 [Re: Shelley]
Zogger Offline
Knife Enthusiast

How many times has anyone had to use the stuff they carry in their 18's? If so why and what did you use?

#148890 - 08/26/16 09:30 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 18 [Re: Zogger]
maxpastor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: South West
out of all the items that I have seen listed in this thread, most are not necessary. the matches, fishing line, etc. You can start a fire without matches and catch fish without a hook and line. however, for a survival knife the idea is to survive. someone posted what I thought would be the items to have. Pain meds, antibiotics and water purifier pills. if you don't have a fire arm, the knife will provide everything else.

just my take

Edited by maxpastor (08/26/16 09:31 PM)
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

RKCC #502

#148892 - 08/26/16 10:24 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 18 [Re: maxpastor]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
The thing is, you hope you never do have to use them out of a circumstance. I used to to have a friend with a jet boat and we ran the Main Salmon and Snake River almost every weekend for many years back in the late 70's. On 2 occasions we had engine problems and had to spend the night on remote locations. We did have some survival gear in the boat, but I was glad that the last time, I had my Model 18 stuffed with goodies. When ever I fly with some of my bush pilot friends, the 18 is on my belt. Hope I never have to use it, but it comforts me to know it's there.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#148896 - 08/26/16 10:44 PM Re: Knife of the Week Model 18 [Re: pappy19]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I recommend a small(bout the size of 3-4 matches) tube of Neosporin, surgical needle & thread, Matches, hooks & line.
I recommend planning for your area.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

Page 32 of 51 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 50 51 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod