Nifeboy.com James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148843 - 08/26/16 08:21 AM Re: 1956 Vintage Collection Needs Appraisal ** [Re: Ronnie]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Ronnie
Drive across the state line into Nevada. Then head to Las Vegas and let Rick Harrison give you an appraisal. You know you can trust him!

grin
RKS #4233

#148854 - 08/26/16 10:13 AM Re: 1956 Vintage Collection Needs Appraisal [Re: TAH]
smcbrearty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
If you want an accurate appraisal you need to follow what the Capt said. Pictures will get a lot of opinions but not an accurate appraisal. Taking the knives to a knife dealer in Utah will probably get you a low ball offer or an uneducated guess on the value.

Steve

#148864 - 08/26/16 12:52 PM Re: 1956 Vintage Collection Needs Appraisal [Re: smcbrearty]
william768 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: smcbrearty
If you want an accurate appraisal you need to follow what the Capt said. Pictures will get a lot of opinions but not an accurate appraisal. Taking the knives to a knife dealer in Utah will probably get you a low ball offer or an uneducated guess on the value.

Steve

At the end of the day , with either an "accurate appraisal " or a "rough estimate" , what really matters is what someone is willing to pay. Depending on market ( supply/demand ) and economic conditions the "estimated value" is not written in stone.

#148871 - 08/26/16 04:31 PM Re: 1956 Vintage Collection Needs Appraisal [Re: william768]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
William nailed it. Put one on eBay and let the market price it for you. Then put the rest up there.
Steve....you do realize that going to Nevada was a joke don't you?????
RKS#2166

#148876 - 08/26/16 06:07 PM Re: 1956 Vintage Collection Needs Appraisal [Re: Ronnie]
smcbrearty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I do. I was referring to the idea of finding a knife dealer in Utah for the appraisal.

#148877 - 08/26/16 07:14 PM Re: 1956 Vintage Collection Needs Appraisal [Re: smcbrearty]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Sorry wasn't paying attention....I do that all too often.
RKS#2166

#148880 - 08/26/16 08:14 PM Re: 1956 Vintage Collection Needs Appraisal [Re: Ronnie]
Tom Vaught Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Chicago, Illinois area where Gary Clinton is located is a bit of a drive (from Utah) but not like going to Florida. Gary would give you a very honest appraisal as would his dad when Mr Clinton, RIP, was alive. JMT

Tom V.

#148898 - 08/26/16 10:54 PM Re: 1956 Vintage Collection Needs Appraisal [Re: Tom Vaught]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FL Panhandle
An appraisal by no means guarantees that a knife will sell for that amount.
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

#148915 - 08/27/16 08:05 AM Re: 1956 Vintage Collection Needs Appraisal [Re: Byrdguy]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
"Appraisals", done correctly, are a bit of work. When I received the knife I have to verify everything about it. Is the knife correct? How old is it? What's it's condition? What are the options? How about the sheath? Is it correct for the knife? (You'd be amazed at how many aren't) Stone?
Don't get an appraisal confused with an authentication. Either way, the package is photographed and one is provided to the owner, but an authentication means more research (in some cases) and consultation with others at times. I know that Joe has to drive to the Randall shop, now & then, to pow-wow with GTR, concerning certain knives.
I am at the Randall shop several times per month (twice this week). I include any "questions, etc." to be considered in these sojourns. After "all of the above" I am now ready to "appraise". At times, considering a knife in new condition (with all of the correct collateral equipment), is a fairly easy process. I go through my dealer price list and add up the options to conclude the actual pricing and worth of the knife.
If the knife is older the process is not quite so easy. Checking for "like product" can be laborious and time-consuming. Ebay gives me guidelines..."BUT"...I can often fetch much more for a certain knife than "The Bay"! Statements made earlier here, regarding Ebay (and it's customer base) "setting" the price are just, plain not correct!
I have members of the RKCC who do not own a computer...and they are just as passionate as the geeks! I can sell "many" vintage Randalls..."with a phone call"! How's that for a novel idea? Speaking with a customer and selling something by "actually" knowing their name and, through mutual trust, working out the details!
Appraisals are not always done so that someone can sell a Randall knife. Insurance companies (as Ronnie can tell you) want proof of value for claims. Many of my appraisals are for that purpose.
After all of the above, I package and send the knife back, including the appraisal (on my letterhead) and the photo of the actual knife/sheath combo. I did one recently. The customer was pleased with the service and the $50.00 charge for that service. He actually called me and told me that he had been on Ebay and found no example of his knife fetching "near" that price! Long story short: He sent the knife back to me. I sold the knife and, even after the agreed commission was deducted from the selling price, he received $200.00 more than he thought he would be able to get!
OK: I'm done. The point is that "proper" appraisals are, many times, worth the money. I, like Joe, have a lot on my plate...as many of you know. I drive a lot of miles, each and every year, for all things Randall. I love my job..."but"...cannot do it for free. I do it well, most of the time, and can't imagine doing anything else.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#148917 - 08/27/16 08:42 AM Re: 1956 Vintage Collection Needs Appraisal [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FL Panhandle
Good info, there, Cap.
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod