Stanback Knives Miles Swelze
Page 10 of 50 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 49 50 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#140656 - 04/23/16 06:53 PM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! * [Re: JerryG]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: JerryG
So what options are ya thinkin of on that one Chief?? As I've said, too big for my uses but I'd like to see where you're headed.

I would put a nickel silver hilt on it just because I like it better than brass.
A border patrol handle / no butt cap
Thong hole
Red or black micarta
Spacers to match micarta / thong also (if possible)

I like that it's a 3/16 blade
Lots of folks commenting on how big knives aren't all that for cleaning small fish.
I disagree (go figure) when I'm cleaning fish I find the thickness & height of the blade to be more important than the length of the blade.
When I do the skin side of the filet I am mostly holding the skin down at the tail end, & pushing the blade with minimal sawing motion of the blade.
If another 1-3 inches of blade is sticking out on either side of the filet so what.
I would rather clean a small fish with a big knife than a big fish with a small knife.
Keep in mind if you are fishing & camping, staying over night at a camp, you will be cooking. This knife works in the kitchen as well.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#140657 - 04/23/16 07:25 PM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: Chief]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Agreed Chief. Most common SOB filet Knives are all 6-8" long and the thickness is what counts more than the length. If you are cleaning a trout, all you need is a pocket knife to go up the vent.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#140658 - 04/23/16 07:43 PM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: pappy19]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Most of the time I am using a fishing knife for trout in the mountains.
3 Steps:
1. Cut open the fish with a sharp knife. Try to cut in a straight line up along the underbelly.
a. Lay the trout flat on a cutting board or other flat surface. Hold the fish down on the cutting board with your left hand.
b. Try to cut one clean line through the bottom of the fish. Don’t cut into the guts.
2. Remove the internal organs. Reach into the body cavity to remove the intestines, heart, and other organs.
a. Scrape out the organs with a spoon or pull the organs out with your hand. Put your spoon or hand through the cut open fish.
b. Try not to let any organs break open as this can spread disease. Throw the organs away when you are done.
3. Remove the spine. Identify the spine as a blood red line that goes from head to tail on the uppermost part of the fish.
a. Scrape out the spine with your thumb or a spoon. Scrape from the tail to the gills.
b. Take this opportunity to remove any guts that remain. Make sure to wash out all organs and blood. Scrape any organs out that you can’t wash away.

Attachments
------1 Cut Open Fish.jpg

------2 Remove Organs.jpg

------3 Remove Spine.jpg

Molon Labe

#140659 - 04/23/16 07:53 PM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: pappy19]
JerryG Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: WI
Thanks for the explanation Chief! I like your choice of options, I'd go for red micarta instead of the usual black.

1/4" is too thick in most instances, grind dependent of course.

I'm sure height of blade is a factor, but every filet knife I've used tapers quickly to a point. Very little thickness there. When cutting the meat from the skin, I agree, extra length doesn't matter. Getting to that point in the process is a different story, at least with the "bait" I catch up here. I think your fish are much taller, belly to dorsal fin, than what I catch. That would make a big difference in the appropriate tool.

I'd much rather clean the occasional big fish with the little knife instead of the other way around. And a 9" camp knife seems a bit much, at least for me.

This build going to be fun to see come together!

#140660 - 04/23/16 08:07 PM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: BladesNBarrels]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: BladesNBarrels
Most of the time I am using a fishing knife for trout in the mountains.
3 Steps:
1. Cut open the fish with a sharp knife. Try to cut in a straight line up along the underbelly.
a. Lay the trout flat on a cutting board or other flat surface. Hold the fish down on the cutting board with your left hand.
b. Try to cut one clean line through the bottom of the fish. Don’t cut into the guts.
2. Remove the internal organs. Reach into the body cavity to remove the intestines, heart, and other organs.
a. Scrape out the organs with a spoon or pull the organs out with your hand. Put your spoon or hand through the cut open fish.
b. Try not to let any organs break open as this can spread disease. Throw the organs away when you are done.
3. Remove the spine. Identify the spine as a blood red line that goes from head to tail on the uppermost part of the fish.
a. Scrape out the spine with your thumb or a spoon. Scrape from the tail to the gills.
b. Take this opportunity to remove any guts that remain. Make sure to wash out all organs and blood. Scrape any organs out that you can’t wash away.

WOW that's to much like work!!!grin grin Maybe we should just invent a sharp spoon! whistle
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#140661 - 04/23/16 08:09 PM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: Chief]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Jerry how big is the bait you are cutting up, just out of curiosity?
RKS #5154

#140662 - 04/23/16 08:31 PM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: Chief]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Electric knives for 90% of my fish-cleaning tasks.
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#140663 - 04/23/16 08:31 PM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: Chief]
maxpastor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: South West
Originally Posted By: Chief
Originally Posted By: JerryG
So what options are ya thinkin of on that one Chief?? As I've said, too big for my uses but I'd like to see where you're headed.

I would put a nickel silver hilt on it just because I like it better than brass.
A border patrol handle / no butt cap
Thong hole
Red or black micarta
Spacers to match micarta / thong also (if possible)

I like that it's a 3/16 blade
Lots of folks commenting on how big knives aren't all that for cleaning small fish.
I disagree (go figure) when I'm cleaning fish I find the thickness & height of the blade to be more important than the length of the blade.
When I do the skin side of the filet I am mostly holding the skin down at the tail end, & pushing the blade with minimal sawing motion of the blade.
If another 1-3 inches of blade is sticking out on either side of the filet so what.
I would rather clean a small fish with a big knife than a big fish with a small knife.
Keep in mind if you are fishing & camping, staying over night at a camp, you will be cooking. This knife works in the kitchen as well.

So Chief, are you leaning toward the Model 4 with a larger blade, like the one you posted on the second page? would that knife have a top edge sharpened, with the embellishments you suggested?

max
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

RKCC #502

#140664 - 04/23/16 08:40 PM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: Chief]
JerryG Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Chief
Jerry how big is the bait you are cutting up, just out of curiosity?

Mostly panfishing. About 10" bluegill, 14" crappie with an occasional walleye around 24" or northern pike around 30" or better.

#140665 - 04/23/16 08:42 PM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
JerryG Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Electric knives for 90% of my fish-cleaning tasks.
Capt. Chris

I've been thinking about giving one of those a try....... but then there wouldn't be any reason for this build!!

Page 10 of 50 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 49 50 >

Moderator:  TonyLaPetri