Stanback Knives Clinton Knives
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#13991 - 02/09/07 07:47 PM How did you get started collecting??
Whiteman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Indiana
Its cold and nasty outside so I have been looking at my older knives and it got me thinking about what got me hooked into collecting. My dad took me to the local sporting goods shop in the mid 70s to pick up my first knife, this little Diamond Edge. I carried it for many years and put it away when I started hunting more and needed something with more backbone. I still have most of the knives I purched thoughout the years. I know..its a sickness If you have any old knives that have a lot of history lets see them.. Thanks,,Stay Warm..

Randy

Edited by Whiteman (02/09/07 07:52 PM)

#13992 - 02/09/07 08:23 PM Re: How did you get started collecting?? [Re: Whiteman]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

My addiction all started because of my mom. There was this army surplus store here that was going out of business,,,,and they had these knives with “pretty stag handles”
They were Pumas and she bought them all…still have them…and….will never sell them.

#13993 - 02/09/07 09:38 PM Re: How did you get started collecting?? [Re: John_Nugent]
Whiteman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

ok..where is the pic?

#13994 - 02/09/07 09:39 PM Re: How did you get started collecting?? [Re: Whiteman]
Whiteman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

woohoo!! 100 posts!! sorry for the waisted post

#13995 - 02/11/07 01:01 AM Re: How did you get started collecting?? [Re: Whiteman]
fasteddie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

My first knife was a case pen knife. My dad broke the tip off one of the blades and gave it to me. I turned that blade into a sheepsfoot. My dad had two other knives that got me hooked...a Case 3.5 congress, still my favorite pattern, and an Eloi coin knife, blade, nail tool, and scissors inside a french 5 franc coin. Had the knife bug ever since.

Here's how I got started collecting Bose knives. Was on a cub scout campout with my son, and some of the dads were showing their kids how to whittle. So I pulled out my liner lock, dagger bladed, carbon fiber handled, stellite wonder, flicked the blade open. Everyone was looking at the knife. Picked up a stick and the damn knife couldnt whittle the bark off a stick. When I got home, I pulled out my old production slipjoints and they cut great. Started looking into custom slipjoints and started reading about the reclusive Tony Bose and his son Reese. Saw a Reese 4 blade remington bone congress on ebay and fell in love. Won it, and became friends with the seller, who urged me to call tony and order a knife. He told the ole dawg I'd be calling. When Tony answered, I felt like I was talking to Mickey Mantle or Johnny Unitas. Nervous as helll, but Tony was great. I ended up ordering a WT, etched A2 steel, rem bone, fluted bolster, cap. The catch was that I had to show up at Blade in Atlanta to pick it up. I had never been to a big knife show at that point. So, I showed up, met Tony, Reese, and some other collectors, got the WT, a fixed blade pruner for my wife, and a few other Bose knives from other collectors. I've been back every year since except for last year. I've remained friends with most of the Bose collectors I've met and picked up anoter knife or two since. I still have the WT and the knife that couldn't whittle a stick.

Edited by fasteddie (02/11/07 01:04 AM)

#13996 - 02/11/07 08:09 AM Re: How did you get started collecting?? [Re: fasteddie]
Whiteman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Great story Fasteddie! Thanks for sharing.

#13997 - 02/14/07 04:31 PM Re: How did you get started collecting?? [Re: Whiteman]
jt2gt Offline
Knife Enthusiast

A certain Bose pusher (I won't reveal his name, but his initials are JH ) sold me my first Bose. A Reese Wharncliff Trapper with Rem Bone and a double bomb shield. I have been hooked since. Don't have that Reese anymore and you wouldn't believe what I paid for it.

Since then I have been to a few Bose Bladeshow drawings and met a bunch of great folks including Tony and Reese. Bought, sold and traded a bunch of Bose knives as well. I have had slips from other makers but they just don't do it for me like a Bose knife.

JT

#13998 - 02/25/07 08:15 AM Re: How did you get started collecting?? [Re: jt2gt]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Loc: Terre Haute, IN
I've always liked and carried knives but didn't intentially begin collecting until last year. I am currently putting more money into making than collecting though.

Since my "collection" (I hesitate to even call it that) is so sad, I was hoping somebody like JpN would take pity on me some day and just give me his rejects. That is my current collecting strategy.

#13999 - 02/25/07 09:17 AM Re: How did you get started collecting?? [Re: kdhampton]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Is that like welfare for knives?…Knifefare???

I would Gladly…..but you would have to talk to my representative....he is 9 and takes inventory on a weekly, sometimes daily basis…….tends to be a bit possessive.

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton