James Behring Knives Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126455 - 04/16/15 06:20 PM Re: Following Capt Chris' orders! * [Re: samg]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
Again Joe, in the "historical King Faisal" thread, you stated:

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
I have no interest in arguing with you about something that you have what is at best only a moderate understanding, while continually clouding the issue - HKL to Johnson brown button transitional sheaths - with repetitious diatribe. This most probably because you are continuing to be misguided from the left coast. Perhaps some original thought of your own would help.

First thing, I have not argued with you, debated, yes.

Moderate understanding? What's there to understand Joe? The workmanship on the sheaths speak for themselves, no need for discernment.

Clouding the issue? I think I have been spot on in my observations.

"Repetitious diatribe?" Joe, use words that you understand....please.
Meaning of word diatribe:

Originally Posted By: google
di·a·tribe
&#712;d&#299;&#601;&#716;tr&#299;b/&#65532;
noun
a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something.
"a diatribe against the Roman Catholic Church"
synonyms: tirade, harangue, onslaught, attack, polemic, denunciation, broadside, fulmination, condemnation, censure, criticism;

Challenge? Oh yes. Bitter verbal attack?
I don't think so.

"Misguided from the left coast?" Perhaps a nudge from Ron with the number stamp differences, and Jacks good research on stamp orientation, but other than that....no puppetry here.

Most insulting of all:

"Original thought of my own?" If this isn't the epitome of an unwarranted insult... I will let that statement stand on its own. It needs no explaining. Perhaps you should review Rhetts' forum etiquette in the thread above this one.

You want to end it Joe? Simply debunk my observations with pictures that you said were coming soon in another thread. Its as simple as "pictures are worth thousands of words." Yeah...I altered the quote just a bit. Hey, I enjoy having thoughts of my own :-)

Thanks

RKS Member #5700

#126460 - 04/16/15 07:04 PM Re: Following Capt Chris' orders! [Re: samg]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Sam,
We know one another. We have spoken on the phone...When? Today or yesterday? (Tulsa makes days run together)...
Anyway: Take it as you may and I am sure you will, once again, pipe in for your last word, something that is blatantly evident..."BUT"...(Get ready for the lecture)... Call it argue...Call it debate...Whatever you wish.
You have called me out to produce sheaths, even to the point that you stating you were going to "hold me to it". Now you tell me I am in a predicament? No Sam: I'm not. Be very careful to keep things civil. Don't call me out anymore and don't disrespect me. You may think you're the second coming of sheath expert but not from where I stand. I am way past any point of commending you for a lot of hard work. Now things come across as the appearance of a shill or troll, arguing points from other (or former?) forum members.
I'm glad we're in the lounge. This is where this topic belongs at this stage. I am sure you will want to "box-in" and "quote" me and anyone else to make your points. It's past tiring for me....and I can't "not read" the stuff. I'm a moderator and it's my responsibility to read this stuff.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#126461 - 04/16/15 07:16 PM Re: Following Capt Chris' orders! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Thank You Cap.
It (several threads) has all just gotten to the point of being obnoxious and boring. There does come a time when "enough is enough". I think we are at that stage.

#126465 - 04/16/15 07:44 PM Re: Following Capt Chris' orders! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Cap, simply put, and no quote capturing necessary, there was no disrespect intended. My tone was not so.

However, its OK for others to insinuate that I have no original thoughts of my own? Insulting my intelligence?

Civil? That's what isn't civil.
Disrespectful? That's what's disrespectful.

Thanks
RKS Member #5700

#126496 - 04/17/15 08:42 AM Re: Following Capt Chris' orders! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

So now you choose to insult me too Cap Chris, with name calling, "troll" and second coming of sheath expert, and like Joe,"not having a thought of my own?" Implying being a puppet?

Of course the initial observations came from someone else, but I researched those two:

Number stamp differences

Edge beveling differences.

So those two topics have been explored as they relate to transitional RMK sheaths? If it has, please show me where.

Sheath expert? No. I actually claimed that you guys have probably forgotten more than I will ever know about Randall knives. Is that the language of a self appointed expert?

What I am guilty of is being tenatious, staying on task, CORRECT Randall history is important enough to me to do that.

By the way Michael, the sheath research been relegated to the lounge now, so please don't come here and tell me enough is enough. If ya don't want to read about it, stay out of the dungeon :-)

Thanks

RKS Member #5700

#126502 - 04/17/15 09:09 AM Re: Following Capt Chris' orders! [Re: samg]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Originally Posted By: samg
By the way, I have been relegated to the lounge now, so please don't come here Michael and tell me enough is enough. If ya don't want to read about it, stay out of the dungeon :-)

No problem there Mr. Sam. It's a shame, because at first it made for some pretty interesting reading. But the continuous on & on has gotten to be a bit much.
I'm outta here.... bye bye !!

#126510 - 04/17/15 10:32 AM Re: Following Capt Chris' orders! [Re: samg]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: rigid54

What a revolting development this has become.

Sam, understand something, I nor anyone else for that matter, are under any obligation to educate you. You have your coach and mentor to do that for you, right or wrong.

I nor anyone else is under obligation to respond to your questions, demands, or "challenges".

Here we go:

OK guys, this is about those nasty sheaths. If you don't want to read about it, I respectfully ask you to move on to another thread. Read at your own risk!

OK, well, a pretty eventful night. I was mindin'my own business, when Joe Dorsky "innocently" took a shot across the bow, by making a comment:

[quote=crutchtip]Erroneous? Interesting word that brings up haunting memories of sheath stamp orientation, center keeper snap location, and serif stamps.

Followed by:

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
All joking aside Jack………..

and of course conveniently LEFT OUT by you so all is taken out of context - again

Why I ask, would any honest, well researched subject be haunting?

Joe, I do respectfully ask you to respect the work of other people in this forum. To make a statement like the above is a barely disguised attempt to marginalize opinions that differ from your own.

Work? Well researched? By whom? How many of these sheaths have you had in your hand Sam? Give the readers, not me, the readers a number.

Like you are some moral compass, as you badger, insult, antagonize, and annoy most on this forum to no end?

If it has dragged on and began to haunt you, it may be because I have hounded you to debunk MY observations. Of which you have skillfully tapdanced around like a seasoned politician.

I am only responding to any more of your posts because I have been REQUESTED to do so. Otherwise you can just rattle away and answer your own posts which you frequently do.

I think Wally said it best in the King Faisal thread about these types of discussions and the participants therein.

I would have given it up long ago, had you proved me wrong.

Heck, I must have influenced you in some way, you dedicated 2 of the 22 points to my number stamp observations, so apparently it has some importance.

Not one iota. You have not influenced anyone I know of. There is nothing that has come from you that has any merit or substance. Only vapid rhetoric to “hear” yourself talk(type). Hell, half the time you respond to your own posts!

The serif stamps is contrary to what you think, nothing new. Your mentor and I had this conversation years ago. There was nothing that came out of your claim about serif stamps being exclusive to Heiser/HKL, other that that they were NOT exclusive to Heiser/HKL.

Yet you marginalize it by saying its a non issue.

I made a statement on the other thread that I would like to experiment with.

In case you missed it, here it is:

You know, you asked me on another thread to not look at the back of the sheath for identification. I think I can reasonably do that now Joe. I do believe I can descern a Heiser or Heiser/HKL west and horizontal, from a Johnson east RMK.

Hallelujah! Like that is some accomplishment?!? Anyone can do so. I am talking about and always have been talking about HKL brown buttons and Johnson brown buttons from the 1962 transitions period. THAT is what it has always been about.

You will note I am not asking any questions of you other than a follow up i.e. why don't you ask Capt. a second time about why his #7 sheath is a Johnson? Understandably he won't answer then you want to put it on me. How about YOU tell us why or why not it is or isn't a Johnson Sam. C'mon big boy, I issued you a "challenge". You say you are reasonably good at it now so it should not be a problem. So tell us Sam, for once, why don't YOU offer YOUR opinion and why YOU think what is what instead of always demanding others answer YOUR questions as though YOU reside in some position of authority or expertise so you can just argue about it. Like YOU already know the answer.

I would like to engage you in that. I will make it easy on you. Block out the snap so I can't make an easy observation.

If you choose to engage me, make sure the photos are clear and front on.
What say you? I'm putting it on the line here Joe.

I am gonna put it on the line for you Sam. You don't understand much less retain anything you read. You don't identify with photos posted. You cherry pick elements of a case made and present them out of context. I could go on and on, but it just isn't worth it.

If you are serious about learning as you continually tell everyone on the forum over and over and over you are, and how so very important important the proverbial "Randall History" is to you, then perhaps you should go through hundreds if not thousands of knives yourself and learn a bit on your own. Quit depending on others to coach you and send you photos.

Speaking of coaches and mentors, more than few on this forum can clearly see Ron Mathews is feeding you. Make no mistake, the verbiage and presentation is exactly his. You think this is all new? I had some of these same conversations i.e. your late entry into the foray, sheath “beveling”, with Ron (and others) years ago.

I would welcome Ron Mathews coming back to say what he has to say, because you can't make an intelligible case. If he wants to come back on here and says his piece himself, I would have more respect than you being "nudged" as you say.

News flash, I have a thread with lots of photos (including a few from your mentor) and accompanying text. My thread is very clear. Therefore, there are more than enough photos for your perusal. In the future I will be sure to answer your demand of Ansel Adams like photos to ensure there is no question when you bless us with your heavily researched opinion.

So, let's get to the heart of the matter and………….tell us about Cap’s #7.

Nothin more, nothin less

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#126527 - 04/17/15 02:19 PM Re: Following Capt Chris' orders! [Re: crutchtip]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
Joe,

I told you three months ago that (given your fixed position and demeanor), I wasn't going to waste my time debating this issue with you. Nothing has changed, and that includes putting words into Sam's mouth. You're wrong about that! Please keep me out of this. I have better things to do.

Ron

#126528 - 04/17/15 02:20 PM Re: Following Capt Chris' orders! [Re: crutchtip]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

OK Joe, Cap's #7

My observations that lead me to believe this knife is Heiser/HKL:

1) west facing stamp, proved with provenance that Heiser/HKL used, and stated in your timeline.

2) serif number stamp, proved with provenance that Heiser/HKL used, and stated in your timeline.

3) No front edge beveling, proved with provenance that Heiser/HKL did not do.

We will start with that Joe.

I would appreciate it if you would make your case that this sheath is a Johnson, with provenance.

Thanks Joe.

RKS Member #5700

#126532 - 04/17/15 03:56 PM Re: Following Capt Chris' orders! [Re: samg]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

OK Joe, Cap's #7

My observations that lead me to believe this knife is Heiser/HKL:

1) west facing stamp, proved with provenance that Heiser/HKL used, and stated in your timeline.

2) serif number stamp, proved with provenance that Heiser/HKL used, and stated in your timeline.

3) No front edge beveling, proved with provenance that Heiser/HKL did not do.

We will start with that Joe.

I would appreciate it if you would make your case that this sheath is a Johnson, with provenance.

Thanks Joe.

good try Sam, but again falls short of reality. This information is covered in my thread but I will revisit. I have to add though, this is the same tired argument that has been made for what, 3 months now according to Ron.

1)both hkl and johnson used the west facing stamp as proven with this stamp on this sheath. There are other numerous examples in my thread and elsewhere.

2)johnson also used the serif stamp for a period when he first started making sheaths for RMK, as depicted with this sheath and numerous other examples in my thread and elsewhere.

3)Neither did Johnson on some of his earliest sheaths as this one exhibits as do others pictured in my thread and elsewhere.

You seem to forget we are talking a short period here, months, so you can twist and turn all you like, but you can't refute, no one can refute these typical Johnson traits:

1)die cut of sheath
2)belt loop width & shape
3)overall stitching
4)butterfly shape and stitching
5)little to no edge "tooling" on body of sheath.

What is so disturbing about your take, is that the other two sheaths in Cap's thread are clearly HKL, yet are totally different than the model 7 you claim is an HKL. You don't see it. Cap sees it. I see it. Some other see it. Cap's sheath is the same sheath type in Ron's photos in my thread of six model 3 sheaths that he said 5 out of 6 were Johnson's. One was Heiser marked. If you reread my thread, you will see I agreed with his assessment, save for one which I think is HKL, so I am 4 out of 6 in agreement. And I am even going your way towards HKL!!

Originally Posted By: BoBlade
Joe,

I told you three months ago that (given your fixed position and demeanor), I wasn't going to waste my time debating this issue with you. Nothing has changed, and that includes putting words into Sam's mouth. You're wrong about that! Please keep me out of this. I have better things to do.

Ron

Ron -

good to see you posting, irrespective of the topic. Sorry you were dragged into this if that is the case, but it is eery how much Sam sounds like you when presenting his argument. Particularly with his latest foray with "edge beveling". Quite a coincidence that lo and behold something that we both know you and I discussed previously (on at least a couple of occasions) now suddenly appears at this late date. Shocker.

My demeanor? I could easily respond in kind, but I refrain due to our history. Fixed position? I have agreed with your assessment of things on several fronts. The only "fixed position" is you believe EVERY "R" up sheath is an HKL, EVERY center snap sheath is an HKL, completely discounting any other trait. Completely discounting the fact that Johnson used Heiser/HKL as a model for his sheaths. Completely discounting he copied them to the best of his ability using the equipment and materials he had. Were they exact? Of course not, the differences between the two are very clear. No one is or has said they were exact copies, but they were close servicable copies for a period until he came into his own. It is that simple.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod