Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125251 - 03/18/15 05:00 PM Re: Heiser with other company stamps ***** [Re: TAH]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
OK Tom, how did you determine that this is a Heiser made holster, without a snap, or Heiser stamp?
Thanks
RKS Member #5700

#125252 - 03/18/15 05:15 PM Re: Heiser with other company stamps [Re: samg]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I have no idea how you guys come up with all of this stuff. We have some cheaply-paid detectives around here! All interesting for sure. I have no idea who stamped what, when (or how) but it is nice to see this old leather.
I have some examples of sheaths, Johnson & Heiser, to add to all of this research but they will not be forthcoming too soon. I have stories to work on, expecially for a couple of them, that will be published in the club's "KNIFE KNEWS".
Keep up the good work, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#125253 - 03/18/15 05:40 PM Re: Heiser with other company stamps [Re: samg]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: samg
OK Tom, how did you determine that this is a Heiser made holster, without a snap, or Heiser stamp?

Sam,

The quote below the photo is from the owner. The holster was discussed in a thread about the Charles Greenblatt Company on the Smith & Wesson Forum. The gentleman who posted it is a forum moderator and it was one of the holsters he displayed on his table at the Kansas City SWCA Annual Meeting. These guys know vintage S&W holsters like we know Randall sheaths. Apparently, the numbers on the back of holster correspond with Heiser model numbers, which corresponds with Heiser catalog photos.
RKS #4233

#125254 - 03/18/15 05:51 PM Re: Heiser with other company stamps [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Capt Chris.
I too have seen Heiser holsters with Heiser stamps, there are a bunch of them on ebay, but Heiser using other companies stamps is new to me too.
It is apparent that Heiser marketed and sold their own stamped sheaths as evidenced in their old catalogs, and that heiser had relationships with different companies that preferred Heiser use that company's logo to stamp the leather goods.
It makes perfect sense that Heiser contracted out leather goods made for other companies and put the other company logo on it.
We see that all the time even today, trade names being made by other companies. We don't think that Craftsman tools are made by Sears, do we?
RKS Member #5700

#125255 - 03/18/15 05:55 PM Re: Heiser with other company stamps [Re: TAH]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: TAH

Sam,
The quote below the photo is from the owner. The holster was discussed in a thread about the Charles Greenblatt Company on the Smith & Wesson Forum. The gentleman who posted it is a forum moderator and it was one of the holsters he displayed on his table at the Kansas City SWCA Annual Meeting. These guys know vintage S&W holsters like we know Randall sheaths. Apparently, the numbers on the back of holster correspond with Heiser model numbers, which corresponds with Heiser catalog photos.

OK, good to know. Now I need to pick up some Heiser catalogs. Great stuff.
Thanks Tom
RKS Member #5700

#125260 - 03/18/15 08:56 PM Re: Heiser with other company stamps [Re: samg]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Sam do a google search for Heiser Mod. #459 Holster. You will see many holsters with different company names.
RKS#2166

#125262 - 03/18/15 08:57 PM Re: Heiser with other company stamps [Re: Ronnie]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Ronnie. I will check it out.
RKS Member #5700

#125277 - 03/19/15 01:36 PM Re: Heiser with other company stamps [Re: samg]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I know Sullivans have a few old Heiser holsters in their show case.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#125278 - 03/19/15 01:43 PM Re: Heiser with other company stamps [Re: pappy19]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Mike.
Next time I am down there, I will have to check it out.
RKS Member #5700

#125284 - 03/19/15 05:40 PM Re: Heiser with other company stamps [Re: samg]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

In reading Joe's:
A Johnson sheath footnote 3 article, Joe stated:

It is my opinion that H. H. Hesier generally did not stamp their leather products with anything other than their own logo save for the large retailers like Abercrombie and Fitch and VL&A.

So I began researching that claim, and have found so far that Heiser seemed to have supplied VL&A knife sheaths for Scagel knives, and they were supplied as heiser catalog knife sheaths as shown in these photos.
So how unusual was it for heiser to make specific, non catalog knife sheaths, like Randall sheaths?
Forgive me if this has been covered, and I am sure there are those of you who have researched this before.
Thanks Joe for contributing those pieces of information that inspires us to dig. Especially these days when most information is available at our fingertips.
If anyone has pics of Heiser non catalog custom knife sheaths made exclusively for another knife maker, let's see them.
How unique was Randall to Heiser?

Attachments
------heiser-sheath-1.jpg

------scagel-stag02 (3).jpg

------scagel-stag05.jpg

RKS Member #5700

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod