James Behring Knives Randall Made Knife
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125200 - 03/17/15 03:48 PM Re: RMK sheath research project * [Re: crutchtip]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: crutchtip

Johnson may have used different stamps also. It seems that is the case to this point.

Joe,
"Johnson used different stamps" meaning different stamps in the new style font, correct? I ask because I don't see any evidence of old style serif number stamps in any of the baby dots that Johnson made at this point.

RKS Member #5700

#125203 - 03/17/15 05:00 PM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: samg]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

riginally Posted By: crutchtip
Maybe MJ had more than one set of stamps for numbers like he had two sewing machines. .

Joe, you mentioned in your earlier post about Johnson maybe had more than 1 set of number stamps, perhaps saying he may have had old style serif number stamps and new style stamps. If this is the case and he perhaps randomly used them, there must be horizontal or west facing new style number sheaths right? Your thought is logical, I would just like to see evidence of it.
Thanks
RKS Member #5700

#125206 - 03/17/15 09:41 PM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: crutchtip]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
How many times are you going to quit this thread Joe????? grin

#125207 - 03/17/15 09:44 PM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: tunefink]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

touche

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#125211 - 03/17/15 10:00 PM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: crutchtip]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Just breaking your balls man..... I wish you wouldn't quit.

Seriously, looking at some of the blade and sheath stamp information that has come about in the past two years is good stuff.

I do not have the "gene" like you, Ron, Sam, and even Jack for teasing this stuff out.... honestly, it just does not impact my collecting decisions. However, I do keep an eye on these threads and add it to my understanding of Randalls.

There are some powerful personalities at work here.....I hope these new discussions stay on the positive.

Thanks to all that have contributed.

#125217 - 03/18/15 06:16 AM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: tunefink]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Originally Posted By: tunefink
.... honestly, it just does not impact my collecting decisions. However, I do keep an eye on these threads and add it to my understanding of Randalls.

There are some powerful personalities at work here.....I hope these new discussions stay on the positive.

Thanks to all that have contributed.

Ditto, X 2

#125222 - 03/18/15 09:22 AM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: Michael_Mason]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Mitch and Michael
It was my intention with this thread to use it as a research tool to find the variables as rigid54 was talking about. It just struck me as strange that there are no variables so far when it comes to the relationship between the RMK stamp and the type of number stamp.
So my question becomes, we see a variety of stamp orientations in those early RMK sheath years, west,horizontal,east. Yet we don't see new style number stamps on ANY west or horizontal RMK early bb sheaths, nor do we see ANY old style serif stamps on any of the east facing RMK stamped sheaths,none of them, from brown button times to 1982 when MJ retired. So it appears that MJ only had one style, the new style number stamp.
Joes point that Heiser and MJ may have had more than 1 set of number stamps is very plausible, but it doesn't appear that they had more than one style number stamp.I say that because I don't see evidence of MJ using an old style serif stamp from baby dot times, what 18 years? That is long enough to establish a pattern, just as Heiser did in their 20 or so year relationship with Randall.
So that begs the question, if Maurice Johnson made any West or Horizontally faced sheaths, why don't we see any evidence of new style number stamps on them?
RKS Member #5700

#125239 - 03/18/15 01:32 PM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: samg]
rigid54 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NC, USA
Originally Posted By: samg
"if Maurice Johnson made any West or Horizontally faced sheaths"

And there it is.
NRA Life

#125242 - 03/18/15 01:55 PM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: rigid54]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: rigid54
Originally Posted By: samg
"if Maurice Johnson made any West or Horizontally faced sheaths"

And there it is.

Rigid54, That is not an a-ha, I told you so, or there it is statement. It is simply a question prefaced with " if" and "where is the evidence, based on my observations"
Sorry to disappoint.
RKS Member #5700

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Mr_Mod