Nifeboy.com dominionhobby.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 105 of 175 < 1 2 ... 103 104 105 106 107 ... 174 175 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125043 - 03/13/15 06:49 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions * [Re: desert.snake]
Ironworker Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Talk to the Capt. I just recieved a Gtr with his silver. He will be able to price the silver Walt
Walter Horn RKCC#CM-012 RKS#5924

#125045 - 03/13/15 07:01 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: desert.snake]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
Desert,
It's not that expensive....whoever it looks great!!..just like nickel silver....
I have a few with silver from Doug...I know the Capt started selling silver some time ago, however I've not heard much about it.
It does add weight....fyi...
from Doug:
Good Morning old friend. Alive and well here. Phone is 716 687-1334. Give me a call.
:-)Rocky
RKCC#25

#125048 - 03/13/15 10:33 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Ironworker]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Silver is rather expensive, a victim of labor/setup charges, etc. It averages about $275.00-$475.00 to have a Randall done in it, depending on exactly what you want done.
Walt: I like the way that GTR came out! Hope you like it.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#125053 - 03/14/15 12:16 AM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Quote:
It's not that expensive....whoever it looks great!!..just like nickel silver....

Rocky, to me with nickel silver the underlying copper color seems to show through. Could be just my eye but in photos it is more evident.
I have one Randall with sterling silver fittings (and ivory grin) and the difference is very noticeable when compared side by side. Of course I don't have a side by side photo to prove my case.whistle

RKS #4868

#125055 - 03/14/15 08:01 AM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: tomthbomb]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Thanks Rocky, Capt.Chris and Tom smile

#125056 - 03/14/15 08:49 AM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: desert.snake]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
Here are a couple shots of the 4 that I have. They are in a current state of tarnish, as they mostly stay put up. They currently give off the look of brass.
Tom, you are right about nickel silver...I was just joking around about the cost involved.
:-)Rocky

Attachments
------DSC00938.JPG

------DSC00939.JPG

------DSC00940.JPG

RKCC#25

#125652 - 03/26/15 10:54 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: desert.snake]
Joe Tousignant Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Upstate New York
Originally Posted By: desert.snake
I wonder how much it costs if cast hilt and butt cap of 925 silver?
As far as I know, the price of 1 gram on the stock exchange about 0.5-1$
Example, #21 reduced hilt + butt plate.
While not going to order in the near future, but are interested in who can do and ~order price.
I would be grateful for your advice smile

I've been around all types of silver and gold "product" over 35 years working as a bench jewelry repairman & diamond setter. An additional 5 years working at a large scrap precious metals firm buying millions of dollars per MONTH of sterling silver and scrap gold items.

With all this experience, I think you'd be disappointed with a sterling silver hilt and pommel. Just too soft in my opinion for any reasonable task a "user" knife is asked to perform.

I can tell you I would pay reasonable money (maybe $150.00) additional to have a STAINLESS STEEL single hilt and pommel, now that I've had an opportunity to see first hand the benefits to be had on a working, or serious fighting knife.

My recent purchase, and post of the "rehab" of the Randall Model 1-7 "Kit" knife, arrived with just those features, .....and I love it! I suspect a double hilt in stainless would stay intact much better than any brass, nickle, and worst of all sterling silver hilts.

A stainless pommel offered the ability to drive wooden or plastic tent stakes, or crack walnuts or chestnuts with abandon. Regarding a proper "attitude adjuster,..... you'll find nothing better!:D

Drop a sterling hilt and pommel knife, and the finger guard WILL readily BEND as well as gouge and dent. A sterling silver pommel will probably not "bend" from a drop on a hard surface, but you'll be surprised at how DEEP the dent and gouges will be.

It won't be too hard to clean it up, (the softness of the metal a definite help here), but you'll have to remove a lot of metal to even it all up. Drop it a few too many times and you;ll need to replace the parts for a decent look.

Nope,...if you can get a custom made stainless steel hilt and pommel,....."Just DO IT!"

cheers,
Joe T

Edited by Joe Tousignant (03/26/15 10:55 PM)

#125653 - 03/26/15 10:56 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Joe Tousignant]
Joe Tousignant Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Upstate New York
.....and here's one for Captain Chris....

.....do you know if a Randall 28 Woodsman can be special ordered (I'd go through you :-),....with a stainless steel single hilt, NO false upper edge ground in, a straight downward main grind such as on the Model 1 (just NO upper grind at all, just the usual tapering blade width),....

....AND little to NO choil area cut in????

Seems to me this would be a best seller configuration better handling woodsman chores.

The stainless hilt would be preferred but I could live without it. The grind changes not so much. laugh

cheers,
Joe T

Edited by Joe Tousignant (03/26/15 10:59 PM)

#125654 - 03/26/15 10:58 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Joe Tousignant]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
I got this...

No, no, no and NO....

---DW---

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

#125655 - 03/26/15 11:01 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Joe Tousignant]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Joe,

I am sure the Cap will comment as well, but I can assure you the answer is no. The shop has a 4+ year back log and is running 3 months behind on current orders.

Adding custom work would probably not improve either...

Page 105 of 175 < 1 2 ... 103 104 105 106 107 ... 174 175 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod