Stanback Knives Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94343 - 10/28/11 02:32 PM Ross Allen Knife ***
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
While we're at it, does anyone know the configuration of Ross Allen's Model 5? Handle material, blade length, etc.

In this video at 3:14, Allen can be seen wearing a knife, but I can't make out if it's a Randall. Never the less, it's a cool video and a look at a tough, brave man who chose a Randall as his knife. If you're interested, here's a good photo of him that I wasn't able to load.

In this book, Stolen World: A Tale of Reptiles, Smugglers, and Skulduggery, the author mentions Allen's Randall knife and more about the man himself.
RKS #4233

#94361 - 10/28/11 06:37 PM Re: Ross Allen Knife [Re: TAH]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
When I was 10 years old in 1954, my rich grandfather sent me $10 for my birthday. I had read about Ross Allen in a magazine or book at the school library and I was already catching small snakes and a few black rat snakes. I sent off for a Ross Allen catalog and from that, I ordered a 5 foot yellow rat snake, I think it cost $1/foot plus another $2 shipping. In about 2 weeks a plywood box showed up with small screened holes. It was nailed shut and it took some doing to get it open. Inside was a cloth bag with the snake inside and a note from Ross Allen on what I should do with my new snake. First thing was to have the cage ready and a large bowl of water as the snake would be thirsty. I open up the bag and gently took out my new prize. It immediately bit the crap out of me, I dropped it and it slithered under the couch. My mother went nuts. After putting a bandage on my snake bite, I finally managed to catch the snake and get it into the cage. It did drink alot of water. I had always heard that rat snakes were fairly docile but this one never got very friendly. My Dad would take me down to the local chicken hatchery and they would give me deformed chicks that they were going to destroy and feed the live chicks to the snake. He/She loved 2-3 chicks every month or so. Finally I gave the snake to a friend of mine that had a very large collection and a larger cage. I never saw Ross Allen in person, but read his books and later found out he was a Randall man. Cool dude.

Pap

Edited by pappy19 (10/28/11 09:01 PM)
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#94362 - 10/28/11 06:46 PM Re: Ross Allen Knife [Re: pappy19]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Great story!

#94363 - 10/28/11 07:17 PM Re: Ross Allen Knife [Re: pappy19]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Pappy,
I deal with snakes all the time. I still get bit but try to continue dealing with them. Good tale!
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#94364 - 10/28/11 07:29 PM Re: Ross Allen Knife [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Hey Pap ... GREAT STORY!!!!!!!!! I love it!

Cap ... how exactly do you "deal" with snakes all the time ... is that a hobby or sumthin?
grin
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#94365 - 10/28/11 07:33 PM Re: Ross Allen Knife [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
laPetri:
Hey man...You outta' know! (No: I'm kidding. I certainly have snakes to deal with...but not you, Gumba!)
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#94369 - 10/28/11 09:18 PM Re: Ross Allen Knife [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
smile
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#94375 - 10/28/11 09:36 PM Re: Ross Allen Knife [Re: pappy19]
Peter_Kaufman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southeast Utah
Funny story Pap, I generally leave snakes alone.

Peter
SAF
RKCC CM-023
RKS #5642
SHAG # 005
Ironwood Nut
Life is too short to have ugly knives

#94381 - 10/28/11 10:02 PM Re: Ross Allen Knife [Re: Leatherman]
Abby Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Jackson<TN
I saw Ross Allen just one time. Day trip to Silver Springs. As I remember he was in a concrete walled enclosure. The walls were about four feet in height and about one foot thick. Inside the enclosure there were at least 50 snakes. The ground was moving and slivering like the scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Rattlesnakes of all sizes from under one foot to six foot monsters. Ross strolls among the den with his knee high boots and his snake stick. He does the balloon trick with one of the Rattlesnakes, then he captures one just behind the head and walks along the wall so we can see the snake up close. Then to the center of the enclosure and milks the Rattlesnake. I could not take my eyes off of Ross Allen. Even in his mid-50's he was in great health and was a striking figure. I believe he had a knife on his right side. Guess I was about 10 years old. Here are two shots from the early years. Low quality scans.

Attachments
------Ross.jpg

Description: screen capture mid-50's

------Ross3.jpg

Description: Ross and son Tom Allen 1958 to 1960.

#94387 - 10/28/11 10:26 PM Re: Ross Allen Knife [Re: Abby]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Hey mid 50's are not bad nor are the early 50's.
RKS#2166

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod