Rate This Topic
#147995 - 08/14/16 03:54 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives ** [Re: Lofty]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Nice collection smile

I have gak 108, very good knife,
especially the form of saw teeth,
in my opinion the best among saws folding knives.

#147996 - 08/14/16 03:58 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives [Re: desert.snake]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The latest saws are even better, the GAK just too short in toothed length. If really going at it with the GAK saw, it gets jammed out front or comes completely out of wood with too long and fast a stroke. But good tooth design. It is just their latest is even better.

A little SAK-N-GAK size comparison....the Pathfinder previous (minus corkscrew and awl) weighs about the same as the SAK, while the GAK 1/4 oz heavier 2.9 oz vs 2.5 oz...you never know either are there, incredibly light and rounded. (I prefer the Pathfinder as I have not even a corkscrew printing or against leg, and do not drink alcohol).

Both are jewels for the money, the SAK has nickel silver divider and pins. Two of the best carry knives ever as for size/weight/capability. Again, the GAK saw blade also handles phillips/slotted/bottles/cans, and more reach.

The truly observant might note the SAK blades are heaviest built...stout sucker, stout safe springs. Same knife still made today with annoying keyring stub against palm and named Pioneer.

Which brings to mind one thing I ADORE about the GAK...the beveled lanyard hole through the knife, rather than annoying/protruding/poking/prodding key/lanyard ring or shackle.

A little history...the Swiss came out with the multitool late 1800s, by WWI it was copied in America both as the Lineman knife aka later the TL29 and Scout knife, by WWII we had the all metal MIL-K-818D Scout aka "demo" knife (mine just retrieved from glove box), and the Swiss liked it so much that by late 1950s, they copied the concept with the Pioneer, and SAK adopted by 1960....a full circle.

All are essentially Scout knives, but the Swiss version is half the weight of an American Scout. And far more rounded. Note the smaller/lighter SAK is just as beefy in blades. The had a winner with this one.

Light failing outside so sorry for rushed photos.

Edited by Lofty (08/14/16 08:26 PM)

#148010 - 08/14/16 07:23 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Another favorite, from friend Yvonne, and Rusalka the Antonov.

Not many of THESE flyin' around in any sense of the term.

I did not open blades for photo, but the red alox knife is a SAK configuration, while the Tenite/Tenex handled version is a Spartan which has same tools plus awl/corkscrew/toothpick/tweezers value added to back. (Bet y'all/youzguyz didn't know the plastic handles are tenite/tenex, didja?)

Again, as you can tell, I like the oddball stuff.

Edited by Lofty (08/16/16 12:02 PM)

#148053 - 08/15/16 06:37 AM Re: Swiss Army Knives [Re: Lofty]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

When I wrote about the best saw on GAK 108,
I mean just the shape of the tooth,
this form when moving forward allows you to start
cutting line more accurately smile

And yes, modern saws longer, especially on Wenger 120 mm, who now owns Victorinox.

A knife with AH-2 a perfect!

#148067 - 08/15/16 11:15 AM Re: Swiss Army Knives [Re: desert.snake]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I thought YOU, of all people, would really like knives marked with "Rusalka" the AH-2. The red alox knife also has their wings-AH-2 logo etched on the main blade. The plane is a legend from STOL performance in ferrying folk and supplies into snow covered high mountain airfields the size of postage stamps with rock wall on two sides and 3000 ft drop on other two sides. One of the great planes of all time, essentially a biplane STOL DC3/C47 in fuselage.

Pretty cool set, and Yvonne and I had to work plenty hard to get an international bank wire transfer done to a bank in Switzerland. The flying club not playing paypal, and are set up only for domestic club members. BUT, since so hard to obtain, if the set ever sold in the USA, I MIGHT even not lose money!!!

The difficulty and expense in the transfer to a Swiss bank was unexpected, and not like the old days (hahaha!).

PS- It is Victorinox who owns Wenger, and they have ceased all knife production marked Wenger, and relegated the name to Swiss watches and active wear, very sad to say. It is as if coming back from the dead and finding one's name memorialized in a brand of men's underwear. MUCH better to find one's name and picture on a Swiss Army Knife.

Edited by Lofty (08/16/16 12:04 PM)

#148190 - 08/16/16 01:02 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives [Re: Lofty]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

No, not closed, just changed the logo, name models and can opener -
operate the same machines, the same people
in the same room of the former Wenger))

https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Pro...rgePocketKnives

What I would really like - Alox with stamp with my year of birth smile

as example photo 66,

my 86 - https://www.smartknives.com/Soldier-Knives/Soldier-1986.htm

or victorinox with WIG KM-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvyXdcLRfFs

We have this failed because of politics and bad economy,
but in the future they will be in demand for tourism and fishing,
I think smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svvfzETPmNg

Attachments
------3565839.jpg

#148192 - 08/16/16 01:45 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives [Re: desert.snake]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Unfortunately, I predate the first alox SAK so no birthday knife for me!

As for the new 111mm issue SAK and all other variations (with the longer/better saw and liner locking), whether you wish to consider it a Wenger or not, the name is gone as for knives, and will point out all the newer knives lack any Wenger specific maker cues/clues, such as the Wenger design tools as in combination screwdriver/can-openers with all knives now using the Victorinox patent openers, as well as Victorinox style ground knife blades. So, the Wenger plant may still be open, but they are producing only Victorinox in name and design, and personally imagine the plant slated to close after whatever contract date for Wenger employee job security clause expires.

Ground effect craft require a smooth and flat terrain or sea, and rarely are either smooth and flat. Very limited application in the real world.

Edited by Lofty (08/16/16 02:15 PM)

#148195 - 08/16/16 02:30 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives [Re: Lofty]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

But you have to victorinox with AH-2,
It's really cool smile

I agree about WIG, but as a rescue ship, it's pretty cool - high speed,
but economically not expedient.

Classic hydrofoils and Hovercraft more reliable.
They still play on transport between cities and tourist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuDrN-sgLKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEWZYj7ZXrA

#148196 - 08/16/16 03:26 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives [Re: desert.snake]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Avianna web address on the postcard, and they have a shopping site for gear marked with their logo, including the two Victorinox knives of only under 200 production (different numbers for the different knives, like maybe 175 on one and 75 on another, but do not recall details), but you are on your own as for efficient way to pay and ship, however, knives are cheaply priced as far as custom runs go. They have another AH-2 themed knife they would like to do, but there are difficulties so may never happen due to things beyond their control. I am on list if it ever happens.

Edited by Lofty (08/16/16 03:31 PM)

#148800 - 08/25/16 08:33 PM Re: Swiss Army Knives [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

No photo, but a clarification of Wenger knives being absorbed and then discontinued by Victorinox. Second-hand info but this person does custom orders with Victorinox, and the Victorinox contact stated that Wenger was on verge of it being a Chinese made knife with factory closed and workers laid off, when Victorinox stepped in, bought the factory (which is still open and making Victorinox branded stuff at the moment), and kept all the workers, and the company highly regarded by the Swiss for doing so...

Pity there are not more companies who would do such a thing.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton