James Behring Knives dominionhobby.com
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112092 - 07/02/13 07:37 PM Acid etched...verses "picklin'" *
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Hopefully James or one of the crew will come on and tell us the difference. Either way...WHOMever, I want to show ya'll something. I've shown you my first Behring Made Knife I bought at the Blade show. I've shown you my biggest Behring knife from Blade. Now I'm going to show you my "favorite" Behring knife from this years Blade show!
First: Thanks don't go to the Behring crew (although I'll get to that). Thanks go to fellow RKCC charter member, contributing editor to the RKCC's "KNIFE KNEWS" newsletter project, avid collector and my friend, Brock Sievers. Brock: Thanks.
It was Brock who received this knife from James. I bugged him about it long and hard enough...to the point that, while in the pit and being over-served (perhaps) Brock took this knife off his belt and handed it to me! That's right. "GAVE" it to me. He knew I loved the knife that much.
Needless to say I wouldn't let him get away with that and before the sun set on the Blade show Brock and I came to an agreement (and a Randall set being ordered) and the trade was complete! You folks cannot understand just how terrific this big-'ol skinner feels in my hand!
The blade has been "acid-etched", giving it the tell-tale coloring. I have shown photos of a couple of my "pickled" Randalls before on this forum. I am hopeful that James or Travis or one of the crew can come on and explain the difference. I really don't think there is a great deal of difference.
Both processes involve saturating the blade in a solution for minutes or even hours. I'm sure this Behring knife took a dip for much less time than my Randalls did. The acid Behring uses is (I'm sure) a little more potent than my pickle (or in one case, Spanish olive) juice.
Please check this skinner out! The stag! Incredible! The fit, the hammer-marked blade, the Mosher riveted sheath, blah, blah, blah!
Let the photos tell the story...and thanks to the Behring crew as well...but to Brock first and foremost!
Best, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Behring Acid-Etched-07-13 001.jpg

------Behring Acid-Etched-07-13 003.jpg

------Behring Acid-Etched-07-13 004.jpg

------Behring Acid-Etched-07-13 005.jpg

------Behring Acid-Etched-07-13 006.jpg

------Behring Acid-Etched-07-13 007.jpg

------Behring Acid-Etched-07-13 009.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#112096 - 07/03/13 06:18 AM Re: Acid etched...verses "picklin'" [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Oldvetnam1 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NJ
Beautiful knife Cap.
RKS #5715
SHAG #006

#112099 - 07/03/13 09:45 AM Re: Acid etched...verses "picklin'" [Re: Oldvetnam1]
Steven Offline
Randall Enthusiast
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
Very nice

#112103 - 07/03/13 11:08 AM Re: Acid etched...verses "picklin'" [Re: Steven]
Behring Made Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Missoula, MT, USA
When we etch our blades, we dip them in an acid etching solution from Radio Shack for ten minutes each. However James talked to some guys at Blade who prefer dipping them over and over for about a minute at a time until your desired effect is achieved, so we may still be modifying how we do it yet.

#112124 - 07/05/13 03:14 PM Re: Acid etched...verses "picklin'" [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
jubela#4 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Kentucky
That is a great looking Behring Made knife.

Moderator:  Behring Made