Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110394 - 04/22/13 09:03 AM Randall inspired bird and trout knife ****
Willem O'Kelly Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Great Karoo, South Africa
I can't afford them, so I have to build my own "version" grin

This one was inspired by a very old number 8 (or two?) I saw a pic of on here. Quite a bit different from some of the current #8's though.

Steel is 1/5th N690, blade is 3.77" long, OAL is 7.67". Cross guard and pommel - brass, handle is micarta, brass, leather and Fallow Deer. Tang is 1/5th x 1/4" and tapers to .177" for the last 1/8th for the rivet.

Here's what served as inspiration:

And here's the knife:

Thanks for looking - comments welcome smile

Be on your guard against a silent dog and still water.
Latin Proverb

#110397 - 04/22/13 11:06 AM Re: Randall inspired bird and trout knife [Re: Willem O'Kelly]
Steven Offline
Randall Enthusiast
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
Nice. Looks like a good edge on that blade.

#110400 - 04/22/13 01:28 PM Re: Randall inspired bird and trout knife [Re: Steven]
NoLimits Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Germany
The handle looks like build for big hands?!

And the blade is very sharp!?

Donīt dream your life, live your dreams!!

#25-6"! Bought to use it outdoor!!

#110401 - 04/22/13 01:34 PM Re: Randall inspired bird and trout knife [Re: Willem O'Kelly]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Nice job, Willem. Great looking knife!
RKS #4233

#110402 - 04/22/13 02:04 PM Re: Randall inspired bird and trout knife [Re: TAH]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
Hi Willem,

Nice job! Regarding your "inspiration":

The top knife in the photo (stag handle) was the first Model 8 made for Litch Steinman, a good friend of Bo's who came up with the Trout and Bird knife idea.

The bottom knife in the photo (pinned ivory) origin is described in a letter to me from Mr. Robert Gaddis as follows:

Note:

1. "Fred Gilman" owned a general store at Walloon Lake, where Bo had a summer vacation house.

2. The first 9 Trout and Bird blades were made from 1/8" thick stock. Those thereafter were made from 3/16th stock.

Best,

#110416 - 04/23/13 12:29 AM Re: Randall inspired bird and trout knife [Re: BoBlade]
Willem O'Kelly Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate the kind comments - and I am glad you like the knife. Perhaps a few remarks - Hans, the handle does taper out a little towards the end but it is still fairly slim - I think the blade makes the handle look wider than it is. I do have large hands but even so, I think the knife will be comfortable for most men.
Ron, thank you for the information, I really appreciate it. Brilliant to be able to own one of the originals! I can just imagine what an authenticated knife like this must be worth :-) More than the money, that is for sure! Also, thank you for the information on the steel - 1/5th (5mm) is the closest I had to 3/16th (4.8mm) as I'd read somewhere this was the steel size used. I did think it a little "robust" for a bird and trout knife initially, but the grind worked well and is actually very clever - the long swedge Mr Randall added to the top has the effect of thinning down the tip and increasing the cutting/slicing/filleting ability of the knife, while the "ridge" formed between the bottom and top grinds helps the knife retain a lot of the strength inherent in the thicker steel.
But, seeing as it was an original that inspired me, and as I have some 1/8th on hand, I guess I have no option but to make another one, more true to the spirit of the original...:-)

Latin Proverb

#110419 - 04/23/13 03:59 AM Re: Randall inspired bird and trout knife [Re: Willem O'Kelly]
NoLimits Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Germany
Bedankt Willem!!

Donīt dream your life, live your dreams!!

#25-6"! Bought to use it outdoor!!

#110475 - 04/24/13 01:49 PM Re: Randall inspired bird and trout knife [Re: Willem O'Kelly]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Willem O'Kelly
Ron, thank you for the information, I really appreciate it. Brilliant to be able to own one of the originals! I can just imagine what an authenticated knife like this must be worth :-) More than the money, that is for sure! Also, thank you for the information on the steel - 1/5th (5mm) is the closest I had to 3/16th (4.8mm) as I'd read somewhere this was the steel size used. I did think it a little "robust" for a bird and trout knife initially, but the grind worked well and is actually very clever - the long swedge Mr Randall added to the top has the effect of thinning down the tip and increasing the cutting/slicing/filleting ability of the knife, while the "ridge" formed between the bottom and top grinds helps the knife retain a lot of the strength inherent in the thicker steel.But, seeing as it was an original that inspired me, and as I have some 1/8th on hand, I guess I have no option but to make another one, more true to the spirit of the original...:-)

Hi Willem,

My pleasure. My "user" is an early 60's 8-4. I think the 3/16" stock thickness is just about perfect for this knife and the 1946 1/8" stock version was just too thin for any kind of aggressive use. If you make one from 1/8th stock, I would be interested in your opinion as well.

Best,

#110539 - 04/28/13 02:55 AM Re: Randall inspired bird and trout knife [Re: BoBlade]
Willem O'Kelly Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Ron. I will definitely make one from 1/8th but I can tell you now, you are right - it will make a fine bird and trout, as well as filleting knife but it will be too thin for general and more aggressive use.

I am thinking of making my interpretation of a "replica" of the first one - the Steinman knife, and using 1/8th stock for that, as per the original

Latin Proverb

#110561 - 04/29/13 01:06 PM Re: Randall inspired bird and trout knife [Re: Willem O'Kelly]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Sounds good, Willem. I'm looking forward to seeing a photo of it.

Best,

#110612 - 05/01/13 03:31 PM Re: Randall inspired bird and trout knife [Re: BoBlade]
Willem O'Kelly Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Latin Proverb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  pappy19, Peter_Kaufman