Clinton Knives Nifeboy.com
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110040 - 04/09/13 06:32 AM Friction Folders - gaining ground? *****
Willem O'Kelly Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Great Karoo, South Africa
As I am sure many of you know the Friction Folder, probably the oldest folding knife design of them all, is quite popular in the UK and Europe - I suspect that this was, at least initially, mainly because of their restrictive knife laws, which you at least don't have to contend with in most states.

But friction folders have progressed from being a way around the restrictive carry laws to becoming the knife of choice for many - it is simple, robust, and if well designed, very safe to use. I think it will be a very long time before it replaces the slipjoint, liner lock and even back lock, if ever, and it does have the drawback of the elongated tang that does make it less pocket friendly than some other designs but this can be overcome in a few ways. On the other hand, it is a good, practical design and the elongated tang can be utilized to turn it into a small multi tool, with the addition of a screw driver tip and a cap lifter.

I make quite a lot of Friction Folders for the UK and European market, and have come to really appreciate the finer nuances of the design - so much so that, while it has not replaced my slippies and lockers and is unlikely to, I am one of those who like carrying them as EDC knives, and normally at least one of the two or three I tend to have on me will be a Friction Folder.

I think in the USA the two guys that are doing (have done?) the most for re-introducing the concept are Michael Morris and Mike Snody, but it may well be that there are others that I am not aware of.

What are your thoughts on this type of knife, and do you think it is becoming more popular, or are more people just more aware of it?

As, and if, this goes along, I will post up some pics of FF's I have made - some with the UK Legal 3" blade, others larger.

This is the first one I ever made. It has a carbon steel blade in what I call "forge" finish, 3.5" long, brass liners and pins, African Black Wood scales. It is still in use and often does duty as my hunting knife. It is quite a big knife so I carry it on my belt in a pouch.

Next to a 30-06 round, and then my small Steiner's, for scale:

It has a double stop - the pin on the right hand of the pic just behind the pivot acts as a stop on the tang when the knife is open - as does the full length filler in the back - making for a very strong and safe knife.

In hand:

Be on your guard against a silent dog and still water.
Latin Proverb

#110044 - 04/09/13 10:12 AM Re: Friction Folders - gaining ground? [Re: Willem O'Kelly]
Steven Offline
Randall Enthusiast
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
Healthy looking. I like the look of that bad boy.

#110045 - 04/09/13 01:18 PM Re: Friction Folders - gaining ground? [Re: Steven]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Willem, cool knife, and one you made!

Question, I am not a folder expert..... are friction folders different than slip joints?

#110070 - 04/10/13 02:36 AM Re: Friction Folders - gaining ground? [Re: tunefink]
Willem O'Kelly Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Great Karoo, South Africa
Thanks Steven, glad you like it smile

Tunefink, they differ mainly by not having a back spring, so the blade is free rotating. The elongated tang, that folds into the back of the knife when it is open holds the blade in place and stops it from closing on you by pressing against your palm or fingers, depending on how you hold the knife.

One can incorporate several other safety aspects into the design too - like finger choils. On the prototype (that's why the scratchy finish on the blade) pictured below, you can see the tang, in the closed position, then in the next pic the tang folded away into the handle and the finger choil, and in the last pic how the blade is held.
Note how you hold the blade between your fingers - no way that can close on you:(Excuse the dirty hands, but it's honestly earned dirt...:) )

Even in different grip and should the tang get out from under your hand somehow, as long as the finger is in the choil, that will stop the blade from closing, right there, without the cutting edge getting in contact with the fingers

I normally design the knives to "pinch" towards the back ever so slightly, so that when you open the knife the tang is pinched between the liners, holding it in the open position. In the closed position it is held by adjustable tension on the pivot.
One can however, do two ball detents, one for the open and one for the closed position to keep the knife open and closed, as you may want.

Be on your guard against a silent dog and still water.
Latin Proverb

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton