dominionhobby.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 16 of 22 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123421 - 01/08/15 10:41 AM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths ** [Re: Jacknola]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
Thanks, Jack! Although I mentioned both sites in my earlier post, I subsequently concentrated on Heiser:

Originally Posted By: BoBlade

Joe,

IMO this unique snap set up was either done by Heiser or the Shop when the supply of other snaps was exhausted. Bo wouldn't delay getting paid for a knife even a few days if he could also deliver a "functional" sheath.

#123422 - 01/08/15 10:59 AM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: BoBlade]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ron -

the compression of the leather on the stone pouch of the 3-6 photo you posted could be the impression of the snap on the 1-6 sheath.

The Heiser snaps on the 1-6 sheaths are obviously steel, maybe not Baby Dots, don't know for sure.

Originally Posted By: boblade

IMO the only major impact of the ownership change at Heiser for Bo was their agreement to use his stamp!

no one knows this. It is easy to think this is what happened, but I am not so sure. Gary says no.

those early Heiser steel snaps may have been stronger in material, but not necessarily in holding power. I think that is what is meant by strength.

The conditions in Viet Nam weren't really a consideration in 62-63 imo. I think it was solely as stated above a holding power and durability thing.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#123423 - 01/08/15 11:30 AM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: crutchtip]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Joe,

I'm pretty sure that the impression you mention is from the attach equipment. There's something unusual about those small brownish steel snaps: They've shown up primarily on 3-6 sheaths! Here are some examples:

The two I own:

Two others that have shown up on e-bay recently:

All of the associated knives have circa 1960 characteristics. The only other sheath I can remember seeing with these snaps is a 2-5:

So the question is why do we see these almost exclusively on 3-6 sheaths and not a random mix? Another "Randall mystery" to add to the collection!

#123426 - 01/08/15 12:09 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: Jacknola]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Jacknola
Joe, reading your essays convinces me that you were quite close to declaring those brown-button Heiser look-alike sheaths with the "Randall-made" stamp as "Heiser-made" years ago.

http://www.rmkcollector.com/archives/the-randall-collector/a-johnson-sheath-footnote-part-iii/

That is a darn good essay and presentation. All that was needed in my opinion was a gentle push... specifically a way to differentiate the two groups of brown-button sheaths. That has been provided now.

We now have found that one group of Brown button sheaths are identical in every respect with the Johnson baby dot sheaths. We also have another much larger group of BB sheaths that are identical in every respect with Heisers, except they have the Randall-made stamp. The two brown-button groups are different from each other in numerous ways.

Thanks for the accolades.

Johnson BB sheaths varied a bit early on. They aren't really identical to some of the BD from the immediate period thereafter. Johnson did use more than one machine whereas it appears HKL predominatley used one machine with a few odd balls thrown in. Sometimes the oddballs might actually be a Johnson as Johnson did use Heisers as examples.

Originally Posted By: jacknola

Since a "Randall-made" stamp was actually manufactured and put into use in 1959... why is it difficult to accept that it would have been easy to just mail that stamp to Heiser and tell them to use it? Mr. Randall had to do that to someone in any case.

It is not known to have happened. At stated in the post to Ron, Gary says no. I gotta go with that first along with there is no outstanding confirmation that Bo did do that, but it certainly is part of the discussion.

----------------------------
Originally Posted By: jackknola

RE: those odd snaps. I would surmise both of those snaps were installed at the shop on a Heiser sheath that was forwarded without the hone pocket snap.

Why would the sheath be sent w/o stone pouch snap in place?

That would mean the shop had to have the press for those snaps. Possible, but BB's were the snap of the day and the shop was a knife making shop, not a leather fabricator.

Installation of a snap into leather is not complicated nor does it require a sophisticated machine. All that is needed is a hand crimper-type tool. The factory did not usually install the keeper snap in any case. That was generally done at Randall shop after the knife was "fitted" and it was done with such a hand-tool. Heck, you can buy a tool and snap and some leather and try it yourself... it isn't difficult.

the shop uses the hand tool type to set the keeper, while Sullivan's used the throw lever press crimper-type too. Sullivan's does not even have a hand crimper. They use a punch and a hammer if they have to "fix" one by hand.

These snaps are definitely a set, but odd-ball in that they are not the baby dots adopted later. If Heiser had installed the snap on the hone pocket, it would have been necessary for the Randall shop to have an identical snap available at his shop to make the set. That is unlikely..

Agree

There are plenty of examples of mis-matched snap sets from the '59-'60 time period when the supply of brown buttons ran out. In that short period when neither party had snaps, Heiser would install one type of expedient snap on the hone pocket, and the shop would often install a different expedient snap on the keeper. (Ron has written extensively about this with lots of photo documentation in a dedicated line elsewhere)

So... my conclusion is that it is most likely that Heiser forwarded that sheath without any snaps and that Randall installed both snaps which were a temporary, possibly a one-off expedient. It is unlikely that the two shops, 1,500 miles apart had identical one-off temporary snaps available.

Regards

Disagree that the sheath was sent to RMK sans stone pouch snap. That sheath had that snap put on at HKL. Now the keeper is another story. that may explain why it is so far off center.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#123436 - 01/08/15 01:29 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: crutchtip]
Jacknola Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New Orleans
Here is an interesting knife, possibly a contemporary to the odd-ball metal-snap sheath. It has a horizontal Randal-made stamp (possibly a marker for late '59, early '60), a metal snap on the keeper, and a brown-button plastic snap on the hone pocket that has taken black dye. Of note, the "odd-ball metal snaps" seem to have a hexagonal shape whereas this one seems to be round.

But.. this does probably confirm that Randall shop could set metal snaps into presumably Heiser-made sheaths during this time, and that metal snaps were used by the shop on occasion before the beginnning of the baby-dot era.

Edited by Jacknola (01/08/15 01:34 PM)

#123443 - 01/08/15 03:32 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: Jacknola]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yeah Jack, that would make perfect sense. HKL and previous incarnations of the company had been using metal snaps so it would make sense the shop would be able to set keepers on those as well as BB's.

Ron,

Interesting how the one sheath has no logo stamp. Notice also that the male portion is not in the middle as was pointed out earlier as being a characteristic of the Heiser sheath. One also has some not-so-Heiser looking stitching also and leather for that matter.

I have had those snaps on some earlier pieces. I will see if I have any photos hanging around.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#123445 - 01/08/15 03:50 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: crutchtip]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

10-4, Joe. Two have the Heiser stamp and two don't. However, all were originally punched for a center retainer placement, but the final resting place was at the far side. These are the only Heisers I've ever seen with that keeper placement position.

Looking forward to photos of sheaths with those snaps if you can fund them.

#123628 - 01/14/15 11:03 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: BoBlade]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Is this a Heiser, HKL transition, or a Johnson? Anyone take a stab at who made this sheath?

Attachments
------$_57-4.JPG

------$_57-3.JPG

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#123629 - 01/15/15 12:14 AM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: crutchtip]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
I'm not sure either one did.....
RKS#2166

#123631 - 01/15/15 12:21 AM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: Ronnie]
Tanasie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee, USA
...I found this old Randall online , with some interesting words's from Bo Randall.

Attachments
------18EB6AF0-996A-4DE5-BBAE-BD9DFA2FB83F-7392-00000BF8B48725EB.jpg

------7A7DDD60-190B-40F6-9CB2-143AEFE7894A-7392-00000BF8BCE39C69.jpg

------0E657A55-5364-4ADE-AB3E-61C4C1181858-7392-00000BF8C2FD3997.jpg

------6EF4D724-B5BF-4385-816E-A043BDC1D91C-7392-00000BF89EBFFAFA.jpg

------D04278E5-8143-45B2-8DBC-F19C9DD7396F-7392-00000BF8A781BC2D.jpg

------0B860655-83C8-4CC1-AD01-FF7BCC960BF4-7392-00000BF8AE1302EC.jpg

Edited by Tanasie (01/15/15 12:22 AM)

Page 16 of 22 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod