Clinton Knives James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 14 of 22 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123368 - 01/07/15 12:23 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths ** [Re: BoBlade]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Was that on a Wednesday, Ron? crazy

#123370 - 01/07/15 01:05 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: BoBlade]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ron -

not so fast my friend.

Per Gaddis:

"It was Maurice Johnson who convinced Bo, Gary, And Bill to change from the type of snap used on the Heiser sheaths to a much stronger model.

Johnson suggested a snap of about the same overall size but with much greater holding power and of a construction that was less likely to be damaged. These are commonly referred to as "Baby Dot" fasteners.

After testing these snaps, the Randalls gave him the okay to switch form their brown button type, with logo, to the Baby Dot, which was plain nickel-plated brass. Since late 1962 or early 1963, all Johnson-made sheaths used the snaps, while the Heiser continued to use those with the brown button and logo. The snap installation machine at Heiser would not accept this stronger Baby Dot fastener...."

I do not recall ever seeing a "Heiser", transitional or otherwise, with a baby dot snap on the stone pouch. Those are done by the sheath maker. Only keepers were done at the shop.

It was not done by the remnants (covered in an article and here) of the Heiser company according to Gaddis' statements above. So, what is the true explanation here.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#123371 - 01/07/15 01:32 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
BOB_TEATES Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: BRADENTON FL
Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
I'm not "sure" I've been insulted as I don't know what "dopplebanger" means but I'm sorry you're burnt out Ron.
Good stuff, Capt. Chris
PS: I can assume, seeing as how I'm mentioned in the same breath as Joe, that I didn't get a compliment...CCS

Attachments
------apple dump.png

RKS #5138 RKCC #CM-015

#123372 - 01/07/15 01:34 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: BOB_TEATES]
BOB_TEATES Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: BRADENTON FL
dopplerbanger is german for apple dumpling gang (Capt on right) and your all banned

Edited by BOB_TEATES (01/07/15 01:40 PM)
RKS #5138 RKCC #CM-015

#123373 - 01/07/15 02:29 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: tunefink]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
Originally Posted By: tunefink
Was that on a Wednesday, Ron? crazy

Tune,

You were interested in other thoughts. That's what I gave you. So far as we know it's a "one off" (Although one or more may surface down the road). Therefore it was created under a very unique set of circumstances that occurred during a very short period of time. That's why we've only seen one of them. Unconventional things do happen. The history of what went on in the shop over the years has proven this time and time again.

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
Ron -

not so fast my friend.

Per Gaddis:

"It was Maurice Johnson who convinced Bo, Gary, And Bill to change from the type of snap used on the Heiser sheaths to a much stronger model.

Johnson suggested a snap of about the same overall size but with much greater holding power and of a construction that was less likely to be damaged. These are commonly referred to as "Baby Dot" fasteners.

After testing these snaps, the Randalls gave him the okay to switch form their brown button type, with logo, to the Baby Dot, which was plain nickel-plated brass. Since late 1962 or early 1963, all Johnson-made sheaths used the snaps, while the Heiser continued to use those with the brown button and logo. The snap installation machine at Heiser would not accept this stronger Baby Dot fastener...."

I do not recall ever seeing a "Heiser", transitional or otherwise, with a baby dot snap on the stone pouch. Those are done by the sheath maker. Only keepers were done at the shop.

It was not done by the remnants (covered in an article and here) of the Heiser company according to Gaddis' statements above. So, what is the true explanation here.

Joe,

Horizontally stamped Randall logo sheaths phased out well before the baby dot came into use! Also, take a close look at the size of the "baby dot" snaps on that 1-6 sheath. Without a doubt they are larger than the baby dot snaps that Johnson used. IMO this unique snap set up was either done by Heiser or the Shop when the supply of other snaps was exhausted. Bo wouldn't delay getting paid for a knife even a few days if he could also deliver a "functional" sheath.

#123375 - 01/07/15 02:39 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: BoBlade]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Well...Opinions...
GTR has told me (on more than one occasion) that Heiser never had a Randall stamp! I think this correct. I can recall Heiser leather goods in various "big stores" back in the day. (Sears and Montgomery Ward, as well as JC Penney). Even with the "big business influence" Heiser maintained their company stamping...only??
My guess is: either:
* Early Johnson transition sheath...
Or:
* One of the "other" makers Gary has mentioned Bo pursued, prior to settling on Johnson??? Just a guess, but some useful caveat along with...
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: (I'm not banned either...)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#123377 - 01/07/15 03:11 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Well...Opinions...
GTR has told me (on more than one occasion) that Heiser never had a Randall stamp! I think this correct. I can recall Heiser leather goods in various "big stores" back in the day. (Sears and Montgomery Ward, as well as JC Penney). Even with the "big business influence" Heiser maintained their company stamping...only??
My guess is: either:
* Early Johnson transition sheath...
Or:
* One of the "other" makers Gary has mentioned Bo pursued, prior to settling on Johnson??? Just a guess, but some useful caveat along with...
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: (I'm not banned either...)

Cap,

Since you want to join the fray:

According to Gaddis, GTR "found" Maurice Johnson in 1962 (Pg 224). There are documented cases of horizontally stamped Randall logo sheaths prior to this. Look on page 11 of this thread and Gary Clinton's post dated May 5th at 9:24 PM: You will see photos of a similar sheath that is documented as being shipped on September 8th, 1960!

Can you show me a photo of a Johnson sheath with baby dot snaps and a keeper positioned to be secured in the center of the sheath?

What "other makers that Bo pursued"? We all know what a Stockman sheath looks like and this ain't one of them!

#123379 - 01/07/15 03:16 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: BoBlade]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: BoBlade

Joe,

Horizontally stamped Randall logo sheaths phased out well before the baby dot came into use! Also, take a close look at the size of the "baby dot" snaps on that 1-6 sheath. Without a doubt they are larger than the baby dot snaps that Johnson used. IMO this unique snap set up was either done by Heiser or the Shop when the supply of other snaps was exhausted. Bo wouldn't delay getting paid for a knife even a few days if he could also deliver a "functional" sheath.

I don't see any discernible difference in size of this snap by photograph and without the sheath in hand it can't be determined definitively. That being said, it is probably the same snap.

Nevertheless, Gaddis clearly states that the Heiser-Keyston-Lichtenberger company did not have the ability to use the "Baby Dot" style of snap. In any case, with the last order from HKL arriving in 1962, they most likely would not have had the impetus to even try the snap.

Interesting is the photo of the 3-6 you posted appears to have originally had a larger snap on the stone pouch that was removed, unless that is from pressing that snap on, but you don't see the same indentation on the keeper.

I agree with Ron Cap, it definitely appears to be of HKL manufacture. There really is not a "mystery" maker as some have promoted on occasion. Yes there were a few samples made here and there, but nothing in any quantity.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#123380 - 01/07/15 03:46 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: crutchtip]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Quote:
Tune,

You were interested in other thoughts. That's what I gave you. So far as we know it's a "one off" (Although one or more may surface down the road). Therefore it was created under a very unique set of circumstances that occurred during a very short period of time. That's why we've only seen one of them. Unconventional things do happen. The history of what went on in the shop over the years has proven this time and time again.

Ron, that was obviously a poor attempt at humor on my part. I hope you know I respect your knowledge of older Randalls. No offense intended.

I do apologize.

#123382 - 01/07/15 04:21 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: crutchtip]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
Originally Posted By: BoBlade

Joe,

I don't see any discernible difference in size of this snap by photograph and without the sheath in hand it can't be determined definitively. That being said, it is probably the same snap.

Nevertheless, Gaddis clearly states that the Heiser-Keyston-Lichtenberger company did not have the ability to use the "Baby Dot" style of snap. In any case, with the last order from HKL arriving in 1962, they most likely would not have had the impetus to even try the snap.

Interesting is the photo of the 3-6 you posted appears to have originally had a larger snap on the stone pouch that was removed, unless that is from pressing that snap on, but you don't see the same indentation on the keeper.

I agree with Ron Cap, it definitely appears to be of HKL manufacture. There really is not a "mystery" maker as some have promoted on occasion. Yes there were a few samples made here and there, but nothing in any quantity.

Joe,

We differ here: I do see a discernable difference in the size of these snaps! The width of either a Heiser or Johnson retainer strap varies a bit, but not by much. Look at the largest image of the keeper you posted: The diameter of the keeper snap aligns with the edge of the keeper strap on one side and actually overhangs the other side! I'm not letting you get away with saying "That said, it's probably the same snap"! grin

Yes, Heiser didn't have the ability to fasten the (smaller) baby dot snaps, but they sure did have the ability to fasten larger snaps! Just look at the ones they substituted for BB's around 1950.

Tune: No offense taken for sure.

Best to both of you guys.

Page 14 of 22 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod