Miles Swelze Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#11350 - 11/18/06 02:37 PM Randall Bore No. 14: A "True" Randall Story *****
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
The current waiting time from the shop is 4 years and 7 months. Has anyone ever wondered how long there has been a backlog and if it was created by a specific event? As with many Randall questions, Mr. Gaddis provides the answer on page 137 and 138 in his must have book .

In 1953 True Magazine editor Ken Purdy had been using and collecting Randall knives since shortly after WWII and had become a pen pal of Bo’s. That year he decided to feature an article on Bo and his knives and went first class all the way from his best photographer to in-depth research on metallurgy. Quote by Bo “When this story came out in True (Dec '53), you never saw so much mail in your life. I had to hire more help in the shop right away”. Statement by Bob: “This was the beginning of the backlog or waiting period that has since become standard for Randall Knives”.

Mr. Ed Lowicki was 37 years old when he read that article and was compelled to order a 7” stag handled Model 3. Photos of that knife follow. I hope you enjoy.

Best,

Ron

#11351 - 11/18/06 02:58 PM Re: Randall Bore No. 14: A "True" Randall Story [Re: BoBlade]
Rhett Stidham Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
Ron,

Very nice. Thank you from me and all here.

Regards,

Rhett
Rhett Stidham RKS #002
President/Founder
www.randallknifesociety.com
email:payrks@gate.net

#11352 - 11/18/06 03:20 PM Re: Randall Bore No. 14: A "True" Randall Story [Re: Rhett Stidham]
7033grip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Haven, Florida
WoW !!! I just went to Randall 101 with the article and pictures.

What a sheath, what a stone, what a knife.

Thanks for putting it on the forum.

Dubie Baxter
RKS #5099

#11353 - 11/18/06 03:43 PM Re: Randall Bore No. 14: A "True" Randall Story [Re: BoBlade]
1gunner Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ron,very good stuff. I am inspired and motivated by this post. Thanks so much.
Tom #3081

#11354 - 11/18/06 07:22 PM Re: Randall Bore No. 14: A "True" Randall Story [Re: BoBlade]
John_Bingen Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ron, many thanks for info on that old article in True. Same one that got me started with Randalls. Got my 1st a Mod 3-7 in '55 and still have it. (Kinda retired like me) Reprint of that article would really be super if anyone has it. Again, Thanks---

#11355 - 11/18/06 07:30 PM Re: Randall Bore No. 14: A "True" Randall Story [Re: John_Bingen]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rhett, Dubie, Tom: Thanks!

John: Heck, I thought "I" was old! Any chance you can post a photo of your 3-7? Send me a PM with your address and I'll be happy to copy and send you a reprint of the article.

#11356 - 11/19/06 09:39 AM Re: Randall Bore No. 14: A "True" Randall Story [Re: BoBlade]
John_Bingen Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hey Ron,
I ain't seen that article since it came out. Pix of my '55 Mod 3-7 is in RKS Newsletter #40, I'll try an post a newbie but am not up on digital yet. (Better half is) My 3-7 spent it's 50th birthday with Master Rhett and Ms. Janie
at their Meadows Edge last yr. I was 16 when I got 'er, oh to be young again--- pbingen@swva.net

#11357 - 11/19/06 12:17 PM Re: Randall Bore No. 14: A "True" Randall Story [Re: John_Bingen]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

John,

I didn't have a copy of No. 40, but it was on the Intersquare CD. It's a great story, article and of course knife. Do you mind if I copy and paste it on this thread?

Thanks,

Ron

#11358 - 11/19/06 06:52 PM Re: Randall Bore No. 14: A "True" Randall Story [Re: BoBlade]
John_Bingen Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hey Ron,
No Sir go ahead & cut and paste, (???) you young folks are way ahead of me on this type of stuff. That #3-7 will be cutting up the Thanksgiving "Bird" here shortly and I wish all you Randall "Types" a good'n-----
John aka Old Squid

#11359 - 11/20/06 12:58 AM Re: Randall Bore No. 14: A "True" Randall Story [Re: John_Bingen]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks, John.

Here's John's story. A good one:

BINGEN: 1955 MODEL 3-7"

"Randall Made" #3 "FOR THE GOOD TIMES"

I remember the first time I laid eyes on that old #3 back in 1955, it was at a large department store in Seattle, Wa. Sitting next to it was a #4 but somehow, like special hunting dogs, that #3 was "IT".

This was in early October of that year and having read "the article" in True Magazine I knew what a Randall Made knife was. But, much grief, sleepless nights etc., couldn't solve the one big problem of owning this fine blade. Twenty big ones, in hard American cash, a big sum back then especially for a 16 yr. Old, even with my paper route.

So, I did the only thing I could, knowing full well the Randall wouldn't last long, I tap danced, sang songs and made a fool of myself for my High School girl friend. Darned if she didn't come through with the balance I required, $2.50.

I was on the bus back down to that store faster than I can move today or, even think about moving, for that matter. The Randall was mine and it was, and remains to this day, a honey. Standard leather handle, superb grind lines and a 7" blade. The sheath is a Heiser.

What more could a young man ask - nothing. I recall walking through the ferns of Washington State, deer hunting with my friend, when he stepped, literally, on a 6 point Buck. That was the first time the old #3 was put to the use it was designed for. (My cohort had forgotten his knife)

The number of Blue Grouse that old Blade carved up in Wa. State is probably astronomical. What a fine eating bird, and great days spent in the field.

Up in the wilds of Alaska, while working for the railroad, one of the men on the crew asked if I'd like to shoot a bear. Are you kidding, what young man wouldn't? I had just turned 19. So I sat down in the doorway of our crew car, we were off on a siding between Moose Pass and Portage, took careful aim and squeezed the trigger on my venerable 30-40 Krag. The bear let out a loud bellow and proceeded to head straight up the mountain through some of the thickest Alders in God's creation, I kid you not about that.

We were young and not to bright, so we followed it up instead of waiting as would have been the prudent thing to do. You guessed it, he came down on us so fast, even to this day I can't believe it. End result, bear down, Randall doing her job, and a wiser "Bear Hunter". No, I never shot another and have no desire to. I did purchase a .375 H&H Magnum.

For some unexplained reason I ended up in Uncle Sam's Navy. While home in Anchorage, on Boot Camp leave, my brother and I went Caribou hunting. Found ourselves up at Sheep Mountain with Sgt. Hendricks, U.S. Army, mucking about in his Tundra Buggy.

A total of six Caribou were brought down for the winter cache, one of which I still have a picture of, huge rack. As an aside, we managed to break the springs in Dad's old Ford Wagon on the way back home; the meat must have weighed a ton. Old #3 worked real good.

I could go on with many more yearns about this old Lady of a knife but space and allotted computer time won't allow.

However, she has been used to carve the Thanksgiving turkey in our household for the past 40 plus years. I have four kids that will attest to the fact that indeed, she's a fine carving knife. The old leather handle has absorbed the smoke from many a campfire and listened to the tall tales of some fine woodsmen. She has accompanied me from the mountains of Alaska, California, Washington State, through the swamps of Florida and Virginia. The Blade never let me down.

Presently She reposes, in semi-retirement, in a little display case with some more modern Randalls. I now take to the woods with a Bowles Special, which my friend Rick had made up for me.

This year, that old High School class is having it's 40th Reunion. If by chance I run across that girl friend of years gone by, well, guess I'll pay her back the $2.50 I still owe her, and the tome on this old #3 will have come full circle.

Once a hunting season I carry the old blade into the field, usually on the closing day, "FOR THE GOOD TIMES". //// John Bingen of Virginia

Moderator:  Mr_Mod