Clinton Knives James Behring Knives
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#12103 - 12/18/06 03:42 PM Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Loc: Terre Haute, IN
Tony has been gracious and extremely patient enough to let me learn from him in our spare time. I get over to the Wilfred Works whenever I can. I had Veterans Day(Nov 10)off from work and started this Damascus "Backpocket".

Tony suggested that I grind this blade on his 14" wheel as my grinder only has a 10" wheel right now. I ground the edge bevels after some help from Tony on one side. After the rough grind, Tony stress relieved it in his HT oven and I waited for my stamp.

When the stamp came I went over one evening and stamped the blade last week and got it ready for HT, which Tony did. Last Saturday morning I ground the edge bevels with Tony looking over my shoulder for a bit. I'm starting to like that 14" wheel.

Rather than take the chance on horkin up the nice blade, I asked Tony to grind the swages. Tony says, "Grindin' swages aren't for the faint of heart". That is the fact.

Anywho, here are some pics of the progress with my first folder project. I have tinkered with the action between spring and blade and can work on the liner/bolster assy's now. I'm learning alot and have to thank Tony for being so patient with me.

#12104 - 12/18/06 03:58 PM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: kdhampton]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Indiana
Looks great Kerry! What kinda handle did you plan putting on it?

#12105 - 12/18/06 06:37 PM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: John_Nugent]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Thanks for the encouraging comment. I will probably use a very light mammoth ivory. I've been looking at what is available and there are several choices. A piece of steel this good needs a great handle.

#12106 - 12/18/06 06:49 PM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: kdhampton]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I have seen Damascus Blades like yours with Damascus Springs, Bolster, Pins…Iron liners, the whole thing, and with the Mammoth Ivory that would set it off. I am really looking forward to seeing your finished knife.

#12107 - 12/18/06 09:23 PM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: John_Nugent]
Whiteman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Very nice Kerry!! Can't wait to see the finished product! ..when can I put an order in.

Randy

#12108 - 12/19/06 07:48 AM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: Whiteman]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Thanks for the nice comment. Your question sent a chill down my spine. I don't think I will ever take orders, especially at my current rate of completion

#12109 - 12/19/06 09:27 PM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: kdhampton]
ChristopherW Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Kerry, looks that that's going to be quite a knife. The damascus blade in a BP is definately cool!

Chris

#12110 - 12/30/06 10:01 AM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: kdhampton]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

I spent Wed. and Thur. learning more about how to build this BP knife I'm working on. I have a ton of pics and text to upload and a puney dialup link to do it with, so, that will have to wait until after Tuesday when I return to work. Until then, you can see what I have posted up to this point on my BladeForums thread at http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441633

I do have this one "glamour shot" I can post. This should hold you over until I can do more serious uploading.

Edited by kdhampton (12/30/06 10:07 AM)

#12111 - 12/31/06 01:33 PM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: kdhampton]
Whiteman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hey Kerry..Nice to get a chance to put a face to the name last week. Hope we can get together at the shop again soon. Checked out the post on Blade Forum..Love the knife head pic!!

#12112 - 12/31/06 06:11 PM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: Whiteman]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Hey Randy! Yep it was good to meet you too. We should have got a group shot dangit!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton