James Behring Knives Miles Swelze
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#15412 - 03/05/07 02:23 PM OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now....
jt2gt Offline
Knife Enthusiast

how about a quick pic and tutorial on making one of your Backpocket lanyards -- a nice addition to a Bose knife IMO.

JT

#15413 - 03/05/07 02:34 PM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: jt2gt]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Loc: Terre Haute, IN
Yep...I'm waiting on that too. I took a stab at it for this knife I just finished up last week. Is this the lanyard-thong-dealybop yur talking about? Always helps to have the expert show you how it's done. I turned the bead out of whitetail antler.

Edited by kdhampton (03/05/07 02:35 PM)

#15414 - 03/05/07 03:29 PM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: kdhampton]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Indiana
Ok guys…you asked and I will deliver, but first this is my opinion…never want to hurt new makers feelings so don’t take it that way.

The leather thong I make..I did not come up with, Bob Loveless did, so I need to give credit where it is deserved, and he deserves it. He said it was intended to find the knife in adverse conditions…like in the dark when you need to stab a bad guy. I saw my first on a Battle Knife he made, a life changing experience. I would not want to have this knife thrust’d in my gut.

Since that time I have figured out that these leather things really only work well…short, tight, and on a Back Pocket knife.

Kerry’s knife looks good in the picture (well done by the way), but I would not want to be running through the bush with that bouncing all over the place like my daughters pony tail. With the bead on the end the added weight would make it even worse. I also think with it that long it would get snagged on something and there goes your knife. What I found is that nylon rope (like what comes on a Randall) works much better. When you have the knife on your side you run the rope through your belt loop and the over the end of the knife. This will not let the knife leave you in any condition. More on the subject soon.

Attachments
15008-rope.jpg (314 downloads)

#15415 - 03/05/07 03:59 PM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: John_Nugent]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Loc: Terre Haute, IN
Makes sense to me. Thanks for all the info and tips.

I'm probably going to cry on my pillow tonight though

#15416 - 03/05/07 04:14 PM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: kdhampton]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ok, Thought I had some old ones that I had cut off, but the must have gotten tossed. I could have scanned those..oh well.

I hope JT you got some good “Ladigo” leather. Stuff that is tuff as nails and wont tear when you pull it…cuz you need to pull the hell out of it.

Cut a strip about ½ to 3/8” wide..and about twice as long as you think you want it. Cut points on each end. Really tapered points make it much easier. Then, get the leather wet…with HOT water. This breaks down the leather’s stiffness and the as it dries it tights up.

Take the point then run it through the hole of the knife…once it has come through grab it with a pair of pliers…I use lineman pliers.. And yes water will squeeze out of your leather and all over your knife…oh well, they should be able to get a little wet.

So now you have two equal ends sticking out of either side of your knife…I make sure the slick side is out…Get a hole punch, the kind that are like pliers. Depending on which side you want the braid to face punch a ¼” hole or smaller. I do it really close to the knife. Then on the other side move away, down ¼” or so and punch another hole..alternating back and forth. I only do 3 holes on each side. Pull the leather through, alternating through each hole. I pull them tight! Then cut the points off and cut the V’s. As it dries it will become stiff, which is ok. Put some lemon oil on the Bone or Stag and leather too..With the short leather thing on there you can easy find the knife in your back pocket…the more you use it the more patina it gets…here is one of mine up close and personal.

Attachments
15010-tail.jpg (333 downloads)

#15417 - 03/05/07 04:54 PM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: John_Nugent]
RAN Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Great Post!
Thanks for the how to John..nice close up picture
Kerry..I am really impressed with that knife! Fine Work
let us know when you open the books!

#15418 - 03/05/07 06:26 PM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: RAN]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Well since all us wannabe Knife Makers are posting our pics…. Trevor asked me to post the knife I made for him and the leather thing he has on his. No Patina..and that’s good…cuz he is 9 and his mom would freak if he had patina on it..

Notice the ends are un-even...kinda cool

Attachments
15015-JpNPBtail2.jpg (317 downloads)

#15419 - 03/05/07 06:30 PM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: John_Nugent]
RAN Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Dang serious talent on this forum
John I wouldn't mind holding that knife till Trevor's of age

#15420 - 03/05/07 06:33 PM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: RAN]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

You may need to discuss that with him

#15421 - 03/05/07 08:40 PM Re: OK, JpN, bought some scrap leather now.... [Re: John_Nugent]
Edge1302 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

If Trevor is carrying that, what are you carrying? That Killer stag Bose?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton