Was looking for brown canvas block and came across Alpha Knife Supply. Was good to go until I read their posted disclaimer. I would not have thought Micarta would have these concerns with it being resin base. Am aware of color change, but not of moisture absorption. I welcome your opinion.
__

The material we identify as Micarta is cloth or paper bonded by phenolic resin. The material is made by Norplex. Any phenolic laminate that is not made by Norplex should not be called micarta.

Micarta is an excellent handle material. It is lightweight, strong, looks good and is inexpensive.

However, micarta does have flaws:

Dimensional Stability
It is not as dimensionally stable as people think it is. We had a .500” x 36 x 24” sheet of natural canvas micarta that was left outside leaned against a shed with lumber. After a few months, the sheet had a significant curve. Micarta sheet also has runout. We rarely see a sheet that is straight.

Moisture Absorption
Another flaw is it will pick up moisture. We had an emergency ax we kept in our truck. The handle scales are natural canvas micarta. After a windstorm, the ax was used to clear branches. The ax was used with bare, sweaty hands. After the work was complete, the ax was put back in the truck and was not used for a few months. The next time the ax was needed, the micarta scales were moldy. The sweat and dirt from working had soaked into the micarta and mold started growing. This led me to the conclusion that micarta should never be used on kitchen knives.

Color Darkening
Over time, micarta will get darker and/or change. Especially natural micarta. The color changes are not a problem unless you are trying to match a previous color. We’ve noticed maroon and olive drab green get darker over time. Ivory starts off as light off white and gradually darkens to an aged ivory color. Natural micarta changes the most. It is very light when first cut and gradually changes to brown, dark brown or even a very dark burgundy. If you are concerned about the color getting darker, used black micarta.

Micarta is a great handle material as long as you are aware of and work within its limitations.