For any questions as to toughness, the same blade, coating and handle material as the current USMC bayonet. Main differences are better edging (hurrah), lack of serrations (hurrah), no bayonet mount provisions in the way (hurrah).

Same milspec triple retention (metal friction clip removable), fully mollie compatible sheath with replaceable ceramic sharpener in back (hurrah). Pommel is D2, breaker tip not sharp enough to getcha in a fall, only top and bottom surfaces of bayonet tang threaded for mounting. Thickness is 0.210". Balance at first finger, clip not sharpened, but, left thin enough to remedy for a real fighter of American style combat. $75-$100, for that big thick-edged beater you may have been seeking. Sorry for rushed photos in post office parking lot on overcast morning and light too low.

All I can add is that such a type knife, of stab/cut/pry/break glass/hammer true toughness with no reasonable fear of breakage, no need for even an immediate replacement sheath worth a flip, and that a grunt can actually afford, is only about 50yrs overdue. A very portable, stashable, stowable, lashable, package deal.

Not only all that, but small, compact, lightweight, and beautiful.........ok....maybe not so much.

I had been waiting for this knife to eventually come out, from when I first laid eyes on the then-new OKC3S Marine bayonet, and bought one. Had the typical rough uneven issue knife sharpening job and less than stellar grind, but the copying of the classic Model 14 blade shape was unmistakable. In my opinion, the military world had been waiting for an inexpensive milspec version of the Model 14, ever since that classic was introduced, and especially by later Vietnam time period, when factories able to blank out such a monster.

Patience eventually paid off when they came out first with a serrated version of this knife, and then, finally, the unserrated.

For someone wanting a REALLY poor-man version, this same blade is offered in the circa $40 special purpose line as the SP-6, with the 100% kraton handle/guard/pommel retained by a ferrule through the tang, possibly miltary issue rough grind and edging, and in a for certain REALLY cheap ugly sheath.

The more expensive pictured version admits the possibility of a stacked leather washer handle being done, lacking only ordering up the washers and access to a grinder with thin and thick wheels. I would hope the factory offers such as a version, but only for classic looks, and a detriment to ruggedness.

Edited by Lofty (02/17/18 01:55 AM)