As some of you know already, one of my hunting highlights is taking my Grandaughter, Abigail, hunting with me each year. It is just "our time" and no one infringes on it.
Abby's an excellent archer and rifle shot, through education and practice by her archery coach, her archery club teammates & of course...The grumpy "Ol Captain. She has taken several does during our years of hunting but never a buck.
Don't get me wrong. We have seen many bucks. Most were out of range. Not out of range for her capabilities but for her rifle's, mostly. In those cases the Old Man usually takes the shot. One year, 2015, Abigail shot a buck, wounding him in the leg. We trailed blood until the trail went cold as the blood had dried up. It was devastating but I knew the buck would heal as I heard him haul buggy, as we jumped him up a couple of times.
This past season, hunting out of the same shooting house, her buck return to the field. He was quartering, slightly away and from our right to left. The distance was 175 yards. I told Abigail it was "time" to take close aim, hold her breath and "sqquueeeeze"! The Thompson Contender, loaded with 125 grain Noslers out of that 300 Blackout case, range out as I watched her buck (through my scope, ready to take a follow-up shoe if needed) haunch up and fall. No follow up would be needed. The buck never got up and we watched and waited patiently as he faded to his happy hunting ground.
He weighed in at 175 pounds (live weight) and sported 7 points. He was 3 1/2 years old, the perfect 1st buck! We drove him into the hunting camp with him loaded in the polaris, hung him in the cleaning shed, pulled the jawbone, skinned, caped and gutted him and drove the meat to the processor. The cape & horns went to my buddy, Mark Mims, of Mims Taxidermy in Selma, Al.
I am posting Abigail's story now because I got the call from Mark this week, telling me that Abigail's 1st buck was ready! He also texted me a quick pic. I shall share it with all of you.
1st, a couple of photos of Abigail, on the field with her buck & with the 'Ol Captain. In one of the shots, if you look closely in the far right corner of the photo, you can also see the shooting house. A nice buck on a nice hunt with a great girl!
Can't wait till this hunting season!
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Abby's Buck-B.jpg

------Abby's Buck-F.jpg

------Abigail's 1st Buck!.JPG

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (10/26/17 09:45 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com