Clinton Knives Randall Made Knife
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149528 - 09/06/16 06:17 PM Elk Success from Team Behring Made **
Behring Made Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Missoula, MT, USA
Well boys it was one hell of a weekend for Team Behring Made.

To start us off, James' good friend Gabe dropped a gorgeous 6x6 bull measuring a little over 300" on opening morning. The pack out was a bit strenuous as we were a mile straight up the side of a hill and the fellas had the genius to think we oughtta pack the entire bull out in one trip. Not so awesome, but got that bad boy done without blowing out a knee.

After our last hunt on Sunday I decided to head back for Missoula early to get some rest and sleep in my own bed before heading back out to our other spot where I drew my early season cow elk tag. When I got out there at first I wasn't seeing much, but after about a half hour I'd noticed 6-7 cows just over the wrong side of the fence 1000 yards or so to the east. I put the stalk on and closed into about 300 yards from the fence and got the bipod all set up and myself in comfortable position. Something down the draw caught their attention because they all got up and started looking the other way. When they started to walk off I chirped on my calf call a bit to stop them and drew one I hadn't seen yet out of the bushes just on my side of the fence. Took a few deep breaths and let one rip. The shot felt perfect, but at first I couldn't tell if I hit her or not as she didn't reach much, but she turned around confused like and at that point I saw the exit wound and blood running out of the lungs. She dropped just a few steps from there.

Fun fact: I'm using my late Grandpa's Remington 700 chambered in 7mm that I inherited at Christmas. He used to hunt all of these stomping grounds, and it feels right to get to put it back to work in his playgrounds.

Could not be happier gents!

Edited by Behring Made (09/06/16 06:23 PM)

#149529 - 09/06/16 06:24 PM Re: Elk Success from Team Behring Made [Re: Behring Made]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

AWESOME work fella's
Congrats Grant... it is definitely cooler to use something passed down through the family, keeps the tradition going. Well done bro!

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#149534 - 09/06/16 07:55 PM Re: Elk Success from Team Behring Made [Re: RamKingJC]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Atta boy Grant got the Alaskan blade. Congrats on a fine early hunt. You’re gonna have to send me the back straps dude, lol.
G'Pops would be proud of ya.

#149538 - 09/07/16 12:26 AM Re: Elk Success from Team Behring Made [Re: W Polidori]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
When you get ready to eat some of that superb elk meat, let me know. I have some excellent recipes. Congrats to you all!!

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#149542 - 09/07/16 06:03 AM Re: Elk Success from Team Behring Made [Re: Behring Made]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
BMK gettin' it done, as always!

Well done Grant; love the set-up on Grandpa's REM-7. Good shooting and soon good eating.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#149544 - 09/07/16 06:43 AM Re: Elk Success from Team Behring Made [Re: Behring Made]
Oldvetnam1 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NJ
Congratulations Grant on a great hunt. Putting that Alaskan to good use.
RKS #5715
SHAG #006

#149555 - 09/07/16 10:02 AM Re: Elk Success from Team Behring Made [Re: Oldvetnam1]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I don't know Grant: Shot placement looks a little "high". More range time is needed,,,perhaps?
Nah: I'm just bustin' ya'! Good deal. Thanks for the post. Was the Rem. #700 a 7mm Mauser (7X57) or a 7mm-08...or a 7mm Remington Magnum?
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#149557 - 09/07/16 10:40 AM Re: Elk Success from Team Behring Made [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
ATTABOY's to all fellas! And good job Grant using Grandpa's rifle; always a good thing to have a relatives/friends/mentor's much hunted-cared for & loved weapon (gun, knife, etc) with you in the woods. Truly adds Nugent's "Spirit of the Wild" to your own hunts AND continues the histories/stories attached to the weapon.
BUT,....."at first I wasn't seeing much, but after about a half hour".....must work on your patience Grasshopper; like to give the first ones a free pass, after the mental kill....just so the hunt isn't over too soon.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#149558 - 09/07/16 11:37 AM Re: Elk Success from Team Behring Made [Re: Duke]
Behring Made Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Missoula, MT, USA
Thank ya fellas!

Captain- this one is a 7mm Rem Mag, and I'll be the first one to admit that I've only just started really spending time at the range. Anxious to spend some extended quality time with this bad boy and really get my range out there.

Duke- you could not be more right! However antlers weren't an option as my damage tag was for cows only (and started Aug 15, not to be confused with general archery that opened this last weekend). After about 15 hunts on this ranch, my lucky stars aligned to exactly what I'd been after. I thought it was going to be a quick and easy year as they were within 50 yards of me on multiple occasions earlier in the summer. So it goes with tags and bullets in hand the game changes and Mother Nature makes you prove you want it before she lets you have it.

I do still have my A tag that I can chase bulls with, but with a freezer full I'm going to take it a bit easier and enjoy the turn into my favorite season. Dammit I might even watch a football game this year!

Edited by Behring Made (09/07/16 11:39 AM)

#149568 - 09/07/16 04:34 PM Re: Elk Success from Team Behring Made [Re: Behring Made]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I shot a 7 MM Mag for 25 years and gave it to number 1 grandson. I loaded 61 grains of 4350 and a 160 grain Nosler Partition. I shot everything with that load, bears, Elk and deer. I could hit a quarter 5 times at 100 yards, sighted in at 3" high. Now I have a Thompson Center in 30-06, 7mm-08, 243, and 22-250. I love the versatility of multiple barrels and calibers.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman