Miles Swelze
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156610 - 02/13/17 11:59 AM 2016-17 whitetail season in Bama-wrap up...
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Well...I'm back! Several trips to & from but it's all over for this year. Cannot wait til next year! I apologize to everyone for not being in as constant communication as I normally am, but coverage in the Alabama woods is a little sketchy! Please forgive me.
All tallied and totalled it was a pretty good year. Very warm and difficult but ok for the most part. Abigail (My Grandaughter) killed her first buck and 3rd whitetail overall. "That" was the high point of the season, no question!
Fellow forum member, Ramking, took life, times "2", slamming down 2 nice does for the freezer and getting a little blood on his face. Congratulations James!
As for me: I passed on over a dozen nice bucks but just not quite up to grade, having several already as big or bigger. I harvested 4 does and will have a fairly well-stocked freezer for this upcoming year.
Bought, sold and traded rifles, optics and, of course Randall knives at the hunting camp. It just wouldn't be a proper hunting season without a camp gun & knife show...(or "2")!
So: What about the rest of you? Progress reports are needed! Please check in and tell us how it went. I skinned, gutted and worked on about a dozen whitetail all together this year. Field-tested the new Randall "Mini" #27 and a couple of Behring Made Knives, from the James gang...all with most excellent results!! Of course, I also continued to rely on my old "trustees" as well. (Right James?)
Let's hear from ya',
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Abby's Buck-C.jpg

------James Caruso's 1st whitetails-A.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#156615 - 02/13/17 02:50 PM Re: 2016-17 whitetail season in Bama-wrap up... [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

There is about a ZERO percent chance I can properly convey how grateful I truly am for this experience.... Just NOT possible!!!!

It was AWESOME!!!!! The gun and knife show and really the majority of the folks at camp were FANTASTIC people. I am privileged to have met them.

And yes, all Randalls and Behrings used performed admirably, especially Capt's Studabaker steel woodcrafter, that little guy was a killer!!!!! The #3-5'' though.... I HAVE to aquire 1 of those before next season, not that I ever doubted it.... but it's easy to see why it was Bo's and also 1 of Capts. favorite knives.

I had the time of my life really. Saw lot's of deer as well, and learned how to track, read signs, bring the correct gun/ammo combo to the stand, and dress from the BEST! I also learned that hunting is NOT so much about going out and shooting everything in sight. It is VERY enjoyable to see nature just being nature. That was an unexpected bonus really, just very cool to watch the animals go about their business. I was very fortunate for the experience... THANK YOU Captain Chris.

Edited by RamKingJC (02/13/17 04:26 PM)

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#156616 - 02/13/17 03:28 PM Re: 2016-17 whitetail season in Bama-wrap up... [Re: RamKingJC]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
James congrats on your hunt and your appreciation of our wonderful sport of hunting!

Captain Chris done good; if you are like Chris and love to hunt; then you can enjoy passing along your skills and be a very good teacher.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#156617 - 02/13/17 05:40 PM Re: 2016-17 whitetail season in Bama-wrap up... [Re: GCTom41]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Welcome back Cap, glad you had a good season. You're lucky your season is so long. Wish I had more time here but not to be.

James, congrats again. Correct gun ammo to the stand? How many times you nod off?

#156621 - 02/13/17 07:55 PM Re: 2016-17 whitetail season in Bama-wrap up... [Re: W Polidori]
Billy Poyner Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi
Warren,
Notice how long the neck is on the one doe.
I made James swear to me it didn't have rope burns
on it.

Proud to have served my country 67-69

#156622 - 02/13/17 08:06 PM Re: 2016-17 whitetail season in Bama-wrap up... [Re: Billy Poyner]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Now Billy are you trying to "stretch" the story? grin

#156626 - 02/13/17 09:26 PM Re: 2016-17 whitetail season in Bama-wrap up... [Re: W Polidori]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
That probably happened when the Captain talked about stringing the deer up to clean it.
James probably thought "hey I know where the rope is, I got this"!
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#156627 - 02/13/17 09:36 PM Re: 2016-17 whitetail season in Bama-wrap up... [Re: Chief]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

LOL, speaking of South, this is heading there quickly.

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman