Stanback Knives Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84705 - 01/10/11 12:38 PM FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES.
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
This topic has been done before, but I'd like to "expand" on an already good idea.
I thought it would be cool to get some stories along with some photos!
See what you all think ... here's a guide ... It doesn't have to be followed exactly - just a guide.
When/How
did you first become aware/interested in Randall Knives?
Who
introduced you to Randall Knives?
What
was your first Randall Knife/Knives?
Where/How
did you purchased/acquire your first Randall Knife/Knives?

Here’s my story.

When/How – High School. 1967-1971. A catalog, placed down in front of me, probably on a cafeteria table.
Who - A guy (Kid!) who like me enjoyed the outdoors.
He was doing a lot of hunting and fishing and showed me that catalog and told me about the knives in that catalog.
From that moment I knew, some day, I would have to have one (ONE!!!!!!!!!! ???) of those knives.
He was a good Friend all throughout High School and as sometimes happens, after graduation we lost touch.
About 3 years ago, thanks to the internet, I found him and we’ve been in touch ever since.
A Great Guy ... He’s in Law Enforcement in Alaska! He’s a serious outdoorsman –Hunter, (big game and small), Fisherman.
He new and worked with Tom Leschorn when Tom was up in Alaska! He has owned Many Randalls.
After selling but mostly swapping and/or giving some away, he still has a few and remains a big fan.
What – My first Randall love – A 7.5” #18. Closely followed by a #1 and a #5 (Angier set-up).-More about these later!
Where/How – Walked right into a gun shop in Mineola Long Island, in the early 1980s, and there in a case were at LEAST a dozen Randalls!
I remember the owner being slightly amused at by awe and wonder at all these treasures!!!!!!!!! He gave me a catalog.
I asked to see the #18. I think I paid about $150-$160 for it! Walked right out of the store with it!

Attachments
------1st-Randall.jpg

Description: 1st Randall-#18 7.5 with one of my first catalogs.

Edited by TonyLaPetri (01/10/11 01:06 PM)
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84706 - 01/10/11 12:44 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Above photo is obviously the 18 as "naked" as the day it was born! grin
I took the sheath the shop owner gave me. Black actually looks pretty cool with the knife!
I first wrapped it with para cord. It was a little bulky.
Then (photos below) with waxed twin, then played around with some sueded leather wrapping.

Attachments
------#18-7.5-Large-Imageweb.jpg

------#18-Suede-Wrap.jpg

RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84707 - 01/10/11 12:58 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I have to add the next two Randalls I got, because what I did was get these first three, and...
cry stopped buying Randalls for a while. (DUMB crazy) We just bought our first house and
then had our first child, so I figured I'd take a "short" break from buying more "expensive" knives
and get back to them soon. Well, soon turned into several years and everything changed "a little."
Anyway, so I consider these "triplets" my "Firsts."
The #5 (Angier version) is photographed with the page of the catalog opened to it with a star next to it
as a "guide" for my Wife, Barbara, should she need an idea for a Birthday or Christmas gift! laugh
And she took the bait (God I love that girl grin)
The #1 I bought soon after, so all three were purchased from the early to mid/late 80s (if I recall correctly).

Attachments
------#5-wcatalog.jpg

------#1-wcatalog.jpg

RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84708 - 01/10/11 01:04 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

My first "Triplets." - with a couple vintage Eddie Bauer Catalogs.
For my buddy (the one who turned me on to Randalls) and me,
Bauer was THE place to get great outdoor clothing and gear.
And back then it WAS!
BTW - The #1 is MINT. Never, ever used. Not once! smile

Attachments
------First-Three.jpg

RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84713 - 01/10/11 02:19 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Great story Tony. Thanks for all the trouble you went through to post it, including great photos. I call them "photos" as I consider them far past a quickly-shot "pic". I will tell you a portion of my "firsts" a bit later. One...the very first is a personal one, shared with Bo and my Mother (who turned "80" yesterday...We had a helluva' bash for her at what used to be Francis Langford's "Outrigger" restaurant in Jensen Beach, Florida...Now "The Dolphin Bar & Shrimp House").
I'll get around to some of my Randall "tales" a bit later. I just wanted to thank you for an interesting story and a great idea for a new thread!
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: I'm workin' on website photos all day, but have to post one after Tony's story...CCS

Attachments
------#18-7.5- Tricked out 008.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#84719 - 01/10/11 04:01 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Cap,
You're very welcome. My pleasure!
Hopefully we'll get a lot of cool stories.
Nice shot of that 18!
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84722 - 01/10/11 05:35 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Very cool thread idea Tony!

The how and who! It was back in late 2004 that I first heard of Randall knives. My uncle Tony and I were at the farm standing around chatting at our usual smoking place. We were talking about knives. Tony was the guy who gave me my first real knife, a "sea-Bees" sheath knife. I was probably 5 years old! Ever since I have been into knives.

When I got home from the farm I got on the net and quickly started researching Randall knives. I quickly found what is pretty much the current website and started looking. I eventually found the sad news of the 58? month wait time and was really sad.

Somehow after a few weeks or maybe even days I found out about the Randalls on Ebay. I was searching through all of them and found a nice model #1-6 with Stainless steel, sawteeth, nickel silver double hilt, borderpatrol handle wrist thong and all black spacers. I won the auction and received the knife shortly.

I sure loved that knife, I carried it nearly everyday at the farm and while walking in the woods. I did not know much about quality knives back then, as I was only about 18 years old. Sadly I no longer have this knife. The stitching looks a little brown/yellow because I started out treating the sheath with montana pitch blend leather preserve. I had not found Obenaufs LP yet cry

heres a pic

Edited by Leatherman (01/10/11 05:42 PM)

#84726 - 01/10/11 06:49 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: Leatherman]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ben,
Very Nice! Thanks for posting!
It's interesting how much more we learn about Randalls as time goes on
and we do more research and find more like-minded Randall Fans.
Any more pics of that beauty?
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#84728 - 01/10/11 07:11 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Oldvetnam1 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NJ
When/How - I actually came to Randalls probably later than most. I think I was 52 or 53, 2002 or 2003, when I saw my first catalog. That's when I saw it, the knife I had been looking for since I was 5 or 6, The Smithsonian Bowie. It took about 51 years for me to get the knife of my dreams.

Who - I'm going to have to say Jim Bowie, not that he actually introduced me to Randalls but the TV show The Adventures of Jim Bowie and the movie The Iron Mistress is what got me interested in that type of knife. Then probably looking through a knife magazine I saw an ad for Randall Made Knives and ordered one. When it came there it was.

What - It is the 12-11 Smithsonian Bowie that is in this picture. It is the standard catalog model, no bells or whistles and the day UPS delivered I think my hands shook as I opened the box. For me it was like finding The Holy Grail.

Where/How - I ordered the knife from the catalog, sent the order form to Randall, waited for the response and then waited for the knife. I think back then it cost about $430 and the wait was 38 months. It turned out to be around 41 months but there it was I had the knife of my dreams.

Attachments
------rsz_randall_&_dvd2.jpg

Edited by Oldvetnam1 (01/10/11 07:12 PM)
RKS #5715
SHAG #006

#84729 - 01/10/11 07:58 PM Re: FIRST RANDALL KNIFE/KNIVES. [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Originally Posted By: TonyLaPetri
Ben,
Very Nice! Thanks for posting!
It's interesting how much more we learn about Randalls as time goes on
and we do more research and find more like-minded Randall Fans.
Any more pics of that beauty?
Tony

Sorry no more pics, I didnt have much of a camera then.

Old Vietnam thats a sweet blade!

Edited by Leatherman (01/10/11 07:59 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod