Clinton Knives Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#204691 - 08/01/23 06:24 PM Randall Info from an "Expert"
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest
Thinking that Artificial Intelligence(AI) might tell me something about knives, I decided to ask two questions:

FIRST QUESTION: What famous people have owned Randall knives, and what were the model numbers?

"As of my last update in September 2021, President Lyndon B. Johnson was known to have owned a Randall Model 2-7, which is a popular hunting and general-purpose knife. Renowned General Norman Schwarzkopf was gifted a cus-tom Randall knife during his military career. Elvis Presley owned a Randall Model 14 Attack knife. This model is a versatile combat knife often favored by military personnel. Actor and avid outdoorsman Steve McQueen owned mul-tiple Randall knives, including a Model 15 Airman and a Model 18 Attack-Survival."

So far, so good...

SECOND QUESTION: What is the single best Randall Knives model?

"Determining the "single best" model is subjective and depends on the intended use and personal preferences of the user. Some of the popular models include the Model 1 All-Purpose Fighting Knife, Model 14 Attack, Model 18 Camp and Trail, Model 27 Trailblazer, and many more. The best Randall Knife for you will depend on your specific needs, preferences, and the tasks you plan to use it for."

NOT so good--"Model 18 Camp and Trail" doesn't quite seem right. No way will I rely on AI from now on, without checking out its answers!
RKS #258

#204692 - 08/02/23 12:50 AM Re: Randall Info from an "Expert" [Re: Holzinger258]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
How about a #2-7" as a good general purpose and hunting knife? I think not.
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (08/02/23 12:51 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#204700 - 08/02/23 11:50 AM Re: Randall Info from an "Expert" [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Okay, I still am misunderstanding the meaning of AI.
I thought AI was Artificial Intelligence that creates new thoughts from a large data base. I am not seeing true AI when a search engine brings up statements and mis-statements using a list of key words.
But..., Attributed to Capt. Chris, I could be totally wrong what AI is.
So far, I have not seen original thinking or thoughts in the ChatGPT essays used as examples on the internet.
The big problem seems to be that the ChatGPT does not distinguish factual from non-factual information, but just incorporates it all in a forumula-driven essay.
End of Rant
Molon Labe

#204703 - 08/02/23 05:45 PM Re: Randall Info from an "Expert" [Re: BladesNBarrels]
spark42 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kentucky
Who or what ever said the Model 18 was the Camp and Trail model was not very "Intelligent"
My understanding of AI is also Artificial Intelligence. True Artificial Intelligence is in its infancy at best.

Dennis
RKS #4298
RKCC #CM057

#204704 - 08/02/23 07:51 PM Re: Randall Info from an "Expert" [Re: spark42]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: spark42
Who or what ever said the Model 18 was the Camp and Trail model was not very "Intelligent"
Dennis

My point exactly--maybe ChatGBT isn't as "intelligent" as it was intended to be...
RKS #258

#204705 - 08/03/23 07:21 AM Re: Randall Info from an "Expert" [Re: Holzinger258]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
chat GBT gives this answer to your #1 question, just as you typed it

As an AI language model, I don't have access to real-time data and my knowledge was last updated in September 2021. Therefore, I can't provide information on specific individuals who may have owned Randall knives after that date. Up until that point, numerous famous people, including celebrities, military personnel, and enthusiasts, have owned Randall knives. Some well-known individuals who were known to have owned Randall knives include:

General George S. Patton - Model 1 Fighter
Steve McQueen - Various models
President Lyndon B. Johnson - Model 2 Stiletto
President Richard Nixon - Model 15 Airman
President Ronald Reagan - Model 19 Bushmaster
Clint Eastwood - Various models
Elvis Presley - Various models
John Wayne - Model 14 Attack
Chuck Yeager - Model 17 Astro
These are just a few examples, and many other notable personalities have also been collectors and users of Randall knives.

Keep in mind that famous people owning Randall knives isn't limited to a specific set of model numbers. Different individuals might have owned different models based on their preferences and requirements. Randall knives are highly sought after and prized for their quality and craftsmanship, which has contributed to their popularity among collectors and enthusiasts, including famous personalities.

:-)Rocky
RKCC#25

#204706 - 08/03/23 07:24 AM Re: Randall Info from an "Expert" [Re: thevalueman]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
your second(exactly as you typed here) was answered this way

Asking for the "single best" Randall Knives model is subjective and depends on individual preferences and intended use. Randall Made Knives offers a wide range of models, each designed for specific tasks and applications. Some popular models among collectors and users include:

Model 1 - All-Purpose Fighting Knife
Model 14 - Attack and Survival Knife
Model 15 - Airman
Model 18 - Attack and Survival Knife (with a larger blade than the Model 14)
Model 27 - Trailblazer
Model 28 - Woodsman
Model 29 - Pathfinder
Model 37 - Sentinel
Model 44 - Big Game Skinner
Model 45 - Hunter
The "best" model would depend on what you need the knife for and your personal preferences. Some people might prefer a versatile, all-purpose design like the Model 1, while others may favor more specialized models for specific tasks, like hunting or survival.

Ultimately, the best Randall knife for you would be the one that fits your intended use, feels comfortable in your hand, and meets your aesthetic preferences. It's essential to consider factors such as blade length, handle material, and intended purpose before deciding on the right model for you.

:-)Rocky
RKCC#25

#204707 - 08/03/23 04:39 PM Re: Randall Info from an "Expert" [Re: thevalueman]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rocky, it looks like that ChatGPT answers are different even when the identical question is asked. Your answers were a little different from mine, so I asked the same identical questions a second time, and the answers were different--so I asked the questions a third time, and the replies were different again. (The questions were identical, because I copied them and pasted into ChatGPT.) My guess is that if you ask again, the reply will be similar, but slightly different.
RKS #258

#204708 - 08/03/23 07:08 PM Re: Randall Info from an "Expert" [Re: Holzinger258]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
But all are still "wrong"...correct?
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#204709 - 08/03/23 07:30 PM Re: Randall Info from an "Expert" [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

That's my feeling, Captain--I will be careful before relying on any answer until I checked it.
RKS #258

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod