Randall Knife Collectors Club dominionhobby.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199080 - 05/05/22 03:21 PM Let me count the ways....
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
So:
Just how many ways "can" you use a RMK Model #18-7 1/2" (or 5 1/2") ATTACK-SURVIVAL KNIFE? I think it may be interesting to see what folks come up with. Feel free to express your ideas, either in theory of from experience!
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------May-22-#18-7.5-G.JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#199081 - 05/05/22 03:37 PM Re: Let me count the ways.... [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
When was flying, as a passenger, on private planes and choppers, on forest fires and remote timber evaluations, I always carried my Model 18-7", stuffed with fire starting parts, and a few feet of monofilament and 2-3 hooks.

There is no doubt in my mind, that those saw teeth could easily go through side of a small plane or chopper. Fortunately, I never had to try out my theory.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#199082 - 05/05/22 04:22 PM Re: Let me count the ways.... [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
When I think survival knife I think downed pilot perhaps island survival due to capsized ship etc. both are mostly fantasy as people either die or are found really quickly but situations do happen where guys/gals are lost for weeks and found.

I would fit as much fishing/sewing line a few needles and a few fishing hooks. While I can adapt fishing hooks with black locus thorns in my area the line isn’t possible to fashion. Neddle and thread for wounds or clothing and the hooks are nice to have but can be made.

If all you were able to save was yourself, likely clothing will be torn at minimum probably cuts too. Hopefully you still have your pocket survival items like ferro rod, spot tracker etc.

The compass would be nice, I would check it vs my primary compass just to see. The storage area would also be a “Iknow where I put it” spot that you couldn’t forget. Over weeks of nothing but your pockets the handle storage would be a real benefit.

Attaching the knife to a pole is pretty unrealistic unless you were attempting to get fruit from a tree or something.

#199083 - 05/05/22 09:54 PM Re: Let me count the ways.... [Re: Leatherman]
Kirko Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ladue,Missouri
most times a lost person is found within 72 hours most important is water in handle I have an extra tough plastic bag with water purification tablets. The handle I wrap Wilson tennis over grip. I always have my model 18 when I go into the hinterland.

#199084 - 05/05/22 10:46 PM Re: Let me count the ways.... [Re: Kirko]
JerryG Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: WI
I have used my 18-5 1/2 while pheasant hunting to slice wild apples for a snack, and the sawteeth to free myself from multiflora rose while playing the part of, or following, the bird dog. Used the same sawteeth to notch stakes for my tarp as well.

Handle is filled with fire making supplies, though I should probably put some fishing gear in there. Typically it's with me in the canoe so fishing gear is covered. If I take it on a hiking trip I have plenty of food and a water filter so those needs are taken care of. I mostly use it in warm weather, steel is way too cold to use in cold WI weather.

#199089 - 05/06/22 01:46 PM Re: Let me count the ways.... [Re: JerryG]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
As to Leatherman's comments earlier, regarding the spear shaft. I have made one, although I cheated a little bit, drilling 1, 3/16" hole, just above the shaft's entry into the handle, with a drill. This could be done in the field, although a more "flared" version. with the #18 knife tip..."BUT"...it works very well once laced into position! Make sure to "start" with an 1 1/4" limb and "taper" it so it "drives" into the handle, making it...even more...secure.
I speared a large catfish on The Cahaba River and the teeth held it in place for an easy pull outta' the water!
Just Sayin',
Capt. Chris

Attachments
------May-22-#18-7.5-H.JPG

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (05/06/22 01:47 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#199090 - 05/06/22 02:08 PM Re: Let me count the ways.... [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Uncle Mike Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wisconsin
Hi, somewhere I saw a screw together aluminum shaft that attached to the handle of the # 18. I believe it broke down into 4 separate pieces. Sorry to say I can't find it on line ( old age) but it was an interesting idea. My 2 cents was in a "survival" situation you could just cut a pole. I think as the Captain says above it can be a handy tool/weapon, regards, Mike

Mike C
RKCC No. 825

#199092 - 05/06/22 02:39 PM Re: Let me count the ways.... [Re: Uncle Mike]
Brent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mid Michigan
I don't own one yet, but my idea is the same as Kirko, a couple of quart freezer bags, water purification tablets, and matches. I'm carrying enough extra weight that a few days without eating might actually be good for me.

#199118 - 05/14/22 07:20 PM Re: Let me count the ways.... [Re: Brent]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
The teeth holding the fish on is a great experience. A very legitimate usage of the teeth indeed! I have a bush tool that is designed to be attached to a shorter handle. Mors Kochanski is the “designer” the knife is made by Rod Garcia.

The idea is to have a longer tool to knock down briar/sharp grasses or to possibly get at some high hanging food but the fishing spear is obviously a great idea as well if that’s something available.

Water purification tabs are brilliant but the container aspect, and with a good container boiling is usually okay. Keep ‘em coming!!

Forgot to mention we have these invasive Asian carp that sometimes jump into the boat! Spearing one would be a lot of fun.

Attachments
------Mors.JPG

Edited by Leatherman (05/14/22 07:26 PM)

Moderator:  Mr_Mod