dominionhobby.com Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181412 - 07/10/19 04:29 PM Interesting knife…
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia
Hey guys. I’ve been away for a while. Just looked, and my last post was over 10 years ago!

I was going through my modest Randall collection – something I do once in a while, check everything out, wipe down, etc. (the knives otherwise sit in drawers in my climate controlled closet, sadly neglected, esp. as of late) and I got a bit sentimental, thinking of old friends, some of whom have passed in the intervening years. (God rest).

In that spirit, I thought I might check back in. It looks like things have slowed down quite a bit here, but, happily, I see some very familiar eminent figures still hanging around: Capt. Chris, Joe, Scott, Mitchell, et al.

As a way of re-introduction, I thought I might show this knife from my collection.

It has a strong connection to a man I didn’t know well and never met in person, but I spoke with him countless times by telephone and email and thought of him as a friend; a man who helped me more than any one person as I navigated my way into and through the world of Randall knives back in the early 2000s – it all began with that first purchase from him (not this knife - but the beginning of countless others). I didn’t know him nearly as well as some of you, but I remember our conversations, his kindness and his generous spirit fondly. One of the true renowned Giants in the Randall Community: Perry Miller (knifekid on the forums) – God rest and keep him; he’s in my prayers.

Here’s a picture of the knife and I invite all comments on what you think of it, (as Perry himself did on the old forum 16 years ago, in a sort of “guess what it is?” post.

Anyway, hello again and I hope all are well, happy and healthy, Gary in VA (Escapement).

Here's the knife, next to a Mod. 5-6 for comparison.

Attachments
------20190705_183513.jpg

Edited by escapement (07/10/19 05:02 PM)

#181415 - 07/10/19 05:44 PM Re: Interesting knife… [Re: escapement]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Welcome back Gary.
It is good to see you posting again and you bring back a great number of thoughts about the years and the folks that have participated in the forum.
I don't remember the knife you posted, but am looking forward to learning more.
Molon Labe

#181430 - 07/11/19 08:15 AM Re: Interesting knife… [Re: BladesNBarrels]
Neale_Jenkinson Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lincolnshire,England
Welcome back.
That's not a blade shape or butt cap I recognise,would really be interested to hear the details of it.
I bought a couple of knives from Perry and visited him more than once at his place,he was a great guy,very knowledgeable and seemed to have Randall knives in every nook and cranny of his office.I Remember on one visit he had a cardboard box full of Model 1 minis and another of Andy Thornall dealer specials.
Great guy,very much missed.

#181432 - 07/11/19 08:43 AM Re: Interesting knife… [Re: escapement]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Gary,
Well said in regards to my best friend, Perry. Thanks for that. The leather-handled knife: Did it come with a sheath...and (perhaps) have a "K" on the back of it?
Glad you stopped back in...
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#181433 - 07/11/19 09:19 AM Re: Interesting knife… [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
and (perhaps) have a "K" on the back of it?

Cap,

What would the K signify ?

Thank-You !!

#181435 - 07/11/19 10:24 AM Re: Interesting knife… [Re: Michael_Mason]
Knife Enthusiast

I believe there were about 6 of these knives, possibly a Kenefick prototype...perhaps something else. Mine is pinned stag. Photos below...
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------K-6.5-AA.JPG

------K-6.5-G.JPG

------K-6.5-C.JPG

------K-6.5-CC.JPG

------K-6.5-D.JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#181436 - 07/11/19 10:37 AM Re: Interesting knife… [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Thanks Cap, I remember now seeing you post pictures of that knife before.
Recognized the butt end w/ the compass..
Cool knife cool

#181438 - 07/11/19 12:04 PM Re: Interesting knife… [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Gary,
Well said in regards to my best friend, Perry. Thanks for that. The leather-handled knife: Did it come with a sheath...and (perhaps) have a "K" on the back of it?
Glad you stopped back in...
Capt. Chris

Yes! And I see you beat me to the punch! (Of course, you knew about these knives way back when Perry played the first game, in 2003)!

I have a set: one in leather, one in rosewood and a stag handle too. The understanding is that just two sets were made. Six knives total.

From the paperwork from Perry:
"In approximately 1983 a friend of the Randall family commissioned the Randalls to make these custom knives off a drawing that the original owner supplied... They have 6 1/2" carbon blades 1/4" stock."
And Perry described the blade shape as "Trapper/ fighter" style.

Pete Hamilton and Perry didn't know what the "K" stood for but they were certain they were not "Kit Knives."

Pete authenticated the knives as made in the Randall Shop. I have the "Randall Made Verification" embossed letter of authenticity by Pete Hamilton showing Perry as owner at the time of authentication.

I got my set in 2005. Perry had the other set too at that time - or at least most of it? I can't remember.

Here's a pic of the sheath and the set.

Sorry, my pics aren't as nice as yours. I have to get the old camera out again and take some nicer pictures...

Attachments
------20190705_181739.jpg

------20190705_181804.jpg

------20190705_181815.jpg

Edited by escapement (07/11/19 12:24 PM)

#181448 - 07/12/19 12:26 AM Re: Interesting knife… [Re: escapement]
Knife Enthusiast

Outstanding set!
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#181540 - 07/15/19 05:00 AM Re: Interesting knife… [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Guido_Bitossi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Florence, Italy
All nice words about our mutual Friend Perry...never enough !!
Two of da six are...here in Italy.

Attachments
------K_6.5_Special.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod