Randall Knife Collectors Club dominionhobby.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173977 - 08/26/18 08:36 AM How long to make a Randall knife?
Brent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mid Michigan
How long does it take to make a knife? I mean between when somebody in the shop gets a work order and it gets wrapped up,ready to send to the customer? Does one person work on it from start to finish, or is it passed from person to person, each doing their "specialty" ie,attaching and shaping the hilt,adding the handle and shaping it, adding the options(compass,thong hole,and cap), then cleanup and final sharpening. I would imagine that something like the tri-athlete would not take as long as a confederate bowie with the max allowed options.

#173982 - 08/26/18 11:14 AM Re: How long to make a Randall knife? [Re: Brent]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
I know that one person doesn't work it from forge to final polish/sharpen.

There are "forge guys", "handle guys", etc.

#173996 - 08/26/18 03:19 PM Re: How long to make a Randall knife? [Re: Windsor]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Scott posted about it once. A few hours total but you have to keep in mind that probably includes heat treat time and that's just baking or cure time if you will.

Lots of knife making videos online granted they aren't Randall's but you get the idea.

#173998 - 08/26/18 05:00 PM Re: How long to make a Randall knife? [Re: Leatherman]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
I would love it if Randall made a video of the whole "making a Randall knife" process. Would be fascinating to watch.

#173999 - 08/26/18 05:29 PM Re: How long to make a Randall knife? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hiring a quality camera crew isn't cheap and givin they have a 5 year wait already...

I agree it would be amazing to see a high quality professional video. They would probably have a bombardment of orders.

#174000 - 08/26/18 05:58 PM Re: How long to make a Randall knife? [Re: Leatherman]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
If Dubie was still around, he could do it.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#174006 - 08/27/18 03:18 AM Re: How long to make a Randall knife? [Re: pappy19]
Neale_Jenkinson Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lincolnshire,England
My very basic knowledge of the process (and I mean basic) the blades are forged and heat treated in batches of models and placed in stock bins,they are forged,stamped and ground and left with 'meat on the blades to give the cutlers metal to work with.At the start of each working week a build sheet is produced and the forged blades are pulled from the bins accordingly,then the work starts,grinding,handles,building the knives,final polishing and honing,then shipping at the end of the week.I am sure somebody way more in the know will come along and fill in the details.

#174007 - 08/27/18 06:55 AM Re: How long to make a Randall knife? [Re: Leatherman]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Leatherman
Hiring a quality camera crew isn't cheap and givin they have a 5 year wait already...

I agree it would be amazing to see a high quality professional video. They would probably have a bombardment of orders.

Paying a camera crew is peanuts for the Randall shop. You must be being sarcastic laugh They can even buy a camera and do it themselves.

#174009 - 08/27/18 09:30 AM Re: How long to make a Randall knife? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

It's definitely not peanuts for a professional camera crew to come in and do a really good marketing video about the entire process. It could take a few weeks to film it not to mention all the editing.

Really Bo was ahead of his time in marketing. Not only did he have the amazing knife catalog. Bo also asked his customers what they wanted/needed and sent samples. These guys were what today they call brand ambassadors. Companies today use these people as marketing and for idea creation. Today we have Instagram and other social media, brand ambassadors like Tommy Thompson, ward gay, the pilot that helped generate the #18 etc etc. These small stories in the description were really valuable in the marketing aspect.

Originally Posted By: Sphinx3000
Originally Posted By: Leatherman

Paying a camera crew is peanuts for the Randall shop. You must be being sarcastic laugh They can even buy a camera and do it themselves.

#174012 - 08/27/18 02:44 PM Re: How long to make a Randall knife? [Re: Leatherman]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

it doesn't have to be a Spielberg movie. Something like this would be enough in my opinion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbHqKN5zcy4

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod