James Behring Knives Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166545 - 11/22/17 11:19 AM "Resin-Ivory" Randall Question
Colin Brolley Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Howdy all, first post.

I'm looking at ordering a Randall, and am interested in ivory alternatives. The "Ivorite" is an attractive option, but I find it a bit white and visually featureless compared to real ivory.

A little googling brought me to a product called "Resin-Ivory", which is sold by a guitar parts store and and is also made in blocks specifically for "Randall Style Knife Handles".

I tried a search here, but came up with 1,000+ results that didn't seem to match this material. Has anyone had a Randall made up with this stuff that can chime in regarding the quality/durability of it? Is it and same as "A/I", that I've seen around?

Thanks!

Edited by Colin Brolley (11/22/17 11:19 AM)

#166546 - 11/22/17 11:41 AM Re: "Resin-Ivory" Randall Question [Re: Colin Brolley]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
Welcome aboard!!
To be honest, I've not heard of it....However I did a little searching(which was not hard) and found some blocks. They look very nice. My answer to your question, would be to wait until the Capt chimes in, or post the question on the "ordering" thread.
It would appear that the shop would be able to use the material, based only upon the Rick Boles posted photo.
:-)Rocky
RKCC#25

#166548 - 11/22/17 11:59 AM Re: "Resin-Ivory" Randall Question [Re: thevalueman]
Colin Brolley Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks, Rocky.

I was considering posting this in the "ordering" thread, but I wasn't sure...

I found the blocks as well, and they seem pretty affordable to me. They resemble a handle material that Great Eastern Cutlery recently made called "Unicorn Ivory Acrylic", which was beautiful, but apparently had some serious problems with checking, cracking, warping and burning while in production that resulted in an abbreviated release.

Now, this was a tiny slipjoint with scales, not a larger fixed blade with a hidden tang, so even if this is the same material, its issues could be no problem. I'm planning on using this knife, though, so I was curious if anyone had any insight on this stuff.

#166550 - 11/22/17 01:20 PM Re: "Resin-Ivory" Randall Question [Re: Colin Brolley]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest
You might ask the Randall Shop BEFORE buying something like this. A few years ago I bought a block of ivory-look-alike material, and sent it to the Shop. Scott informed me that they would not use this material, that it had been a problem previously. My loss!
RKS #258

#166551 - 11/22/17 02:05 PM Re: "Resin-Ivory" Randall Question [Re: Holzinger258]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Colin,

Welcome to the Forum. Also consider that customer supplied "CW" material is not covered by RMK warranty. If something goes wrong down the road you have no recourse.

#166555 - 11/22/17 05:25 PM Re: "Resin-Ivory" Randall Question [Re: W Polidori]
Colin Brolley Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I realize there are some rising js to customer supplied handle materials. I was surprised to find this product, though. It’s a pretty attractive substitute for the genuine pachyderm, but I don’t see it surface very often.

Moderator:  Mr_Mod