Nifeboy.com Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165321 - 10/07/17 12:26 PM Value, keep as set?
digi-shots Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I have two Vietnam era knives, both personalized to the same Army veteran and stamped by the RMK shop - one is a model 1 (8" carbon) the other a model 2 (7" stainless). Both have leather stacked commando handles and tan JRB sheaths with correct stones. I have only one shipping box named to the individual (I don't know if the other box was lost or if both knives shipped together.. which I doubt since it would be a tight fit for both knives). They are both in very good condition - doesn't appear they were carried much. The shipping destination was Fayetteville, NC, postmarked Dec. 1972. I'm in the process of doing more research on this Army veteran.

At the moment I don't plan on selling them, however, is there more value in keeping these as a matched set or separate? I like them both and if I had to sell one, I'd hate to break them up. I bought them both because I couldn't leave one behind! And no, I'm not a Randall addict (yet!)

I'm not looking for a dollar value... but more of a "what would you do" question.
Thanks for your input!

#165322 - 10/07/17 01:12 PM Re: Value, keep as set? [Re: digi-shots]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Just a suggestion, contact Buck Buchanan here on this forum. You could send him a PM, he's from Fayetteville also a Randall dealer.

#165323 - 10/07/17 02:45 PM Re: Value, keep as set? [Re: W Polidori]
digi-shots Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Here they are... a nice duo!

Attachments
------Knife, Randall, Duo, copyright (Large).JPG

Edited by digi-shots (10/07/17 02:46 PM)

#165324 - 10/07/17 03:29 PM Re: Value, keep as set? [Re: digi-shots]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest
A beautiful matched pair. In my opinion, better to keep the set together. A shame to have to split it up.
RKS #258

#165330 - 10/07/17 10:16 PM Re: Value, keep as set? [Re: Holzinger258]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Superb photo, great job. As Tom said keep them together but I would suggest as I said in my earlier reply to contact Buck Buchanan who lives in Fayetteville. Maybe he knows this soldier.

#165358 - 10/08/17 10:16 PM Re: Value, keep as set? [Re: W Polidori]
digi-shots Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

#165359 - 10/08/17 11:40 PM Re: Value, keep as set? [Re: digi-shots]
Buck Buchanan Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Fayetteville NC
A very nice set which I would keep together especially, when its time to sell.

You need to share your photography set-up in the Picture Gallery post started by me.
Very impressive to say the least.

You can send me all you have on the soldier to my e-mail address below.

I can't say for sure if I recognize the name, but I ETSed from the USAJFKCMA HQ at Fort Bragg in June 1972, and I came in contact with many Special Forces soldiers during my three years at Fort Bragg. I was in the G1 Office at JFK Center & HQ, Special Forces Command. Back then we had the 5th, 6th, and 7th SFG(A) in the AO.

Let me know.
Buck Buchanan, RKCC #CM-16, RKS #1003
NRA LIFE
NMLRA LIFE
Authorized Randall Dealer
buck100_10x@icloud.com

#165363 - 10/09/17 09:18 AM Re: Value, keep as set? [Re: Buck Buchanan]
digi-shots Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks, Buck!

I didn't realize how good the two knives looked together until after I took the above photo.... they just "go together". I'll post some comments in your photo thread. I do have some very nice camera equipment, however this pic was taken with my iphone6 !

Everyone has probably heard "buy the knife, not the story"... but at the same time don't discount the story. These two came with a story... the veteran served as a doctor in Vietnam. Not a lot of info, but enough to start researching him. I have learned that he graduated from Vanderbilt Medical School in 1967 and that he was a Major in the US Medical Corps in 1970-71, served in DaNang and Long Binh, and a Colonel in 1984. He died in 1995.

I'll email you with some details that I have. In the meantime, I've sent off to the National Archives for info (FOIA request).

Thanks, again... I appreciate your help!

Edited by digi-shots (10/09/17 09:53 PM)

#165364 - 10/09/17 09:24 AM Re: Value, keep as set? [Re: digi-shots]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tallahassee FL
Well done all the way around sir from the knives, the research, the pics, everything.

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

Moderator:  Mr_Mod