dominionhobby.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161755 - 06/25/17 08:59 AM Interesting British Commano RMK Sheath Stamp
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Currently on ebay is a knife and RMK sheath described as follows:

"BRITISH COMMANDO FIGHTING KNIFE AND SUPER RARE RANDALL SHEATH.Excellent condition. Knife maker  J. Nowill & Sons, crossguard below is stamped with the Broad Arrow and a Diamond marking. Knife is post war marked with Crossed Keys trademark. Super rare RANDALL sheath-marked B C (British Commando),produced 1954-1972".

The stampings on the reverse of the JRB sheath for a Model 10-7" appear to be: (1) an RMK stamp; (on top of) a Johnson's Leather stamp; (c) "B C"' and (d) "10 7".

Since I have not seen a 'double stamped' sheath before, and have not seen the "B C" stamp before, I am turning to the vastly more experienced RMK collectors here for information.

How unusual is the RMK over Johnson's sheath stamps? Has anyone seen the "B C" stamp on an RMK sheath before? Who stamped the sheath "B C" (done by Mr. Johnson or elsewhere)? Does "B C" signify "British Commando"; if not, what does it signify?

Attachments
------Randall Sheath BC 107 1.jpg

------Randall Sheath BC 107 2.jpg

------Randall Sheath BC 107 3.jpg

RKCC #622

#161756 - 06/25/17 09:24 AM Re: Interesting British Commano RMK Sheath Stamp [Re: rfcarlin]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Here is what mine looks like, just BC marked on back. Sheffield etched on the blade. I have not seen the BC and 10-7 marking together on these sheaths.

Attachments
------Randall BC Commando (2).JPG

------Randall BC Commando (11).JPG

------Randall BC Commando.JPG

------Randall BC Commando (5).JPG

#161758 - 06/25/17 10:20 AM Re: Interesting British Commano RMK Sheath Stamp [Re: Eric]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tallahassee FL
BC = British Commando. Pretty sure about that but too lazy to go check the book right now. Was just looking at that one earlier on eBay and thinking that is not the "normal" sheath for the BC. The one Eric has is what I have seen before.

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

#161759 - 06/25/17 10:31 AM Re: Interesting British Commano RMK Sheath Stamp [Re: Eric]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
The #10-7" sheath was (probably) stamped @ Johnsons. It is not correct for the period. Too much speculation would have to derive from this, but back in the day that Pete Hamilton was at war with Johnny Johnson, many...many..."MANY"...sheaths were rejected by Pete and Johnny Johnson would re-stamp, "x" out, etc. in order to move them elsewhere. For a very short window of time some of these sheaths were even offered up for sale at the Randall shop!
When I emphasis "many", I can tell you that I bought over 300 of them. Floyd Byrd sold (and used) them, either outright or for "Byrd" branded knives he would make in this time period. How this one got "triple-stamped" was probably a simple explanation..."BUT"...(There's that word again)...only an educated "guess" (at best) on my part. A customer probably has a BC and went to Johnsons and bought it from Johnny, having him stamp it for him, at the time.
Gary Randall told me that "he and hid Father" went to a local hardware store in downtown Orlando and bought a "barrel full" of BC's at one time. Maurice Johnson made "BC-specific" sheaths for these knives for a long time.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
PS: Here's mine outta' "The Captain's "STASH", to include a Maurice Johnson "black, tight-stitched" sheath...CCS

Attachments
------British Commando Knife & Cheath 002.jpg

------British Commando Knife & Cheath 006.jpg

------British Commando Knife & Cheath 007.jpg

------British Commando Knife & Cheath 008.jpg

------British Commando Knife & Cheath 009.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#161765 - 06/25/17 12:39 PM Re: Interesting British Commano RMK Sheath Stamp [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Thanks Eric, Jim and Capt. Chris for the information. Much appreciated.

My eldest dabbles in knife collecting and he's been asking for a Fairburn Sykes knife. I've just started to do some reading about them and this one intrigued me with the JRB RMK (rejected?) sheath.

Bob

P.S. Thanks for the photos; those are great looking "BC" knives.
RKCC #622

Moderator:  Mr_Mod