Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160759 - 05/27/17 12:08 PM Wrist Thong Link Questions
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I was recently contacted by an individual that purchased a knife I had once owned more than a few years ago, so I haven't seen it in some time.

His concern was the wrist thong link, that it wasn't original, yet he apparently had not examined many if any himself. I have not looked at the knife in years, but he sent me some good photos with some questions and outlining his concerns.

First was the non-magnetic nature of the link as he thought it was steel. Second was the "file" marks on the edge of the link. Third was the "burr" as he called it on one side where the thong went through the link. Fourth was the "rounding" of the nut where he suspected someone removed it.

I can not say for sure either way, but if you look at the nut and the direction to which the brass is slightly deformed, it appears to be in the direction due to tightening.

Before I get into it, remember that the Randall Shop was not much larger than a home garage stuck in the middle of orange grove and cow pastures in 1943. So to expect a certain standard of manufacturing is often unrealistic we have come to learn. The is particularly true in war time based on the materials restrictions Bo had to deal with.

I have spoken about this before, but majority of thong links not made of brass brass are made of Monel, therefore also non-magnetic. I then examined half a dozen thong link knives, both brass and Monel, and all had some sign of "file" marks to varying degrees. I can't speak for the burr. Could just be part of the building process or due to a bit of damage.

I do know on that particular knife the link had been squashed (common) and therefore even if "straightened" out, still will be somewhat misshapen as is this one. You will never get it back close to original shape without allot of work.

I do remember the knife to some degree and don't recall anything that would make me thing the thong link was not original. IF it had been replaced, and that is a big IF, it was probably a field job. That knife has most definitely seen action in theater, so to me, it is irrelevant respective to the overall historical perspective of a Randall carried in combat. Again, I reiterate, the Randall shop in 1943. It is difficult to say what was done based on necessity in those day and It is entirely possible some thong links were hand fabricated.

Bottom line, it is a solid WWII model one in reasonably good condition that would be a nice addition to any collection.

Attachments
------unnamed-1.jpg

------unnamed-2.jpg

------unnamed-3.jpg

------unnamed.jpg

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#160776 - 05/28/17 02:58 AM Re: Wrist Thong Link Questions [Re: crutchtip]
Shelley Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New Zealand
Never seen one done like that, good to know.

#160780 - 05/28/17 08:20 AM Re: Wrist Thong Link Questions [Re: crutchtip]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Is Monel basically aluminum? The link appears to match the pommel perfectly.
RKS #4233

#160782 - 05/28/17 08:35 AM Re: Wrist Thong Link Questions [Re: TAH]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Tom,

Monel is a nickel alloy. Google it for more information.

#160791 - 05/28/17 01:27 PM Re: Wrist Thong Link Questions [Re: Shelley]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Shelley
Never seen one done like that, good to know.

Done like what?

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#160801 - 05/28/17 07:37 PM Re: Wrist Thong Link Questions [Re: crutchtip]
Shelley Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New Zealand
Wrist thong link, I always thought wrist thongs were tubes, drilled through the handle, so I leant something new, always good to learn something, cheers!

Moderator:  Mr_Mod