Miles Swelze dominionhobby.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152215 - 10/28/16 10:45 AM Missing in Transit Alert!!! **
DB30 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Northeast OH

Never made it to the buyer. Shipped via USPS International Priority on 10-08-16. No return when searching tracking number and have filed every type of search/ claim with the Postal Service as humanly possible. If seen on internet, at shows or offered for sale privately... Please let me know right away. Many thanks.
Dave

#152216 - 10/28/16 11:14 AM Re: Missing in Transit Alert!!! [Re: DB30]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
It could have been confiscated by customs, A $30 export permit is required to ship walrus ivory or oosik (legal as per above) out of the United States. Not sure what country you shipped too, but they may not allow this type of item. Once it leaves the US the USPS no longer can track the package. It can take up to 2 months if the package is returned. You must mark the item to be returned on customs form. Good Luck

#152217 - 10/28/16 11:23 AM Re: Missing in Transit Alert!!! [Re: Eric]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
This whole thread is in the wrong place. It needs to be in the general Randall knife forum (our main forum).
Thanks, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#152219 - 10/28/16 11:40 AM Re: Missing in Transit Alert!!! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
william768 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

So many things could go wrong and some nations mail service are NOTORIOUS for "losing" packages , especially those of value.

Depending on what country and what you claimed on Int. mailing form as to what item was and its value you can narrow down to what might have happened.

Some countries have pretty strict Ivory restrictions and if the buyer has been busted importing it in the past the package might have triggered a red flag . BIG NO NO in some countries.

It could be so many things. I do not ship outside the USA but i have made several exceptions. I always use International Registered. It costs a few $ more but it is worth the peace of mind.

The foreign buyers ALWAYS ask to play around with what you write on the Customs form to help them avoid the VAT. Keep in mind that is illegal and could complicate or totally void an insurance claim should item be lost.

#152222 - 10/28/16 12:13 PM Re: Missing in Transit Alert!!! [Re: william768]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
What happened, it's sad. In which country do you send?

Interestingly, we do not have outbox parcels without track number,
in principle, all fully tracked, always.

Problems never had, even with a walrus tusk.
One time I even wrote an incorrect postcode,
package was wound throughout Florida about a month,
but in the end found a destination.

Once I wait a parcel from the US (small Dozier knife)
also without track numbers. I waited him about 4 months.
He was found postal workers to make a search after my request.
It turned out that he was lying all this time at the post office.
He was accidentally throw off of the rack and lay between him and the wall, littered with other boxes.
Therefore, ask the person who bought it, to come to the his post office and do a search query.
I hope everything will be found.

#152229 - 10/28/16 04:24 PM Re: Missing in Transit Alert!!! [Re: desert.snake]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

A suggestion...

Since the USPS at some point turns mail over to others postal services to handle, inspect, and deliver, perhaps either UPS, DHS, or FedEx would give more continuity of responsibility.

I have not researched this, but thinking out loud.

I have shipped to Europe using Registered Mail, and I have been "assured" that such a package has hand-to-hand accountability (in this case it went to Italy).

If UPS, DHS, or FedEx ships a package, I am sure they still have to move packages through the foreign country's customs inspection. And if there are duties to be paid, then from what I have heard about packages not being delivered the packages will languish in customs until the local addressee actually pays those fees.

This in turn suggests that when sending packages overseas the sender should make two photocopies of the outgoing package with all labels and stamps showing, and send a copy to the recipient via the mail or email so that person will have hard facts to work with at their end.

Others will know more about this than I do, but maybe the above will help to bring them forward.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

Moderator:  Mr_Mod