James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127387 - 05/03/15 04:05 PM Randall Made 12-9 Knife field review and comparison ***
oohhaann Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I bought a Randall 12-9 to see how Randall Made Knives basically compare to a contemporary design. I used a Busse FBM LE for 6 years. It was a so so chopper. It was a little too thick with a steep edge that would not penetrate hard woods well, plus, it had a flat grind and would basically gall onto the tree when you did manage to get a deep cut in a softer wood. The steel was ok, would chip like any other high quality knife that hit a rock in the process of being used in the field. The material, marketed as INFI, relies on the steep bevel to hold its edge, if you take it down a bit to improve penetration, it goes dull like any other quality production knife. I used it for 6 years and chopped hundreds of small trees that grow out of control on my rural property. It was thick, hence strong. Finally sold it because it took too much energy to use and found it unproductive in the field. Then I used a Bill Buxton made of forged 52100, it was was much better, and held an edge like no other. I did not take Bill's advise and ordered an 8 instead of a 9 inch blade, and it was a bit too short. Subsequently I decided to try a Randall 12-9 and chopped down a few dozen small trees ranging from two to five inches in diameter. The Randall is forged from very high quality Swedish tool steal. It was the most effective chopper of the three. The cuts were deep even in hard woods, the hollow grind did not gall. The Randall's edge stayed sharp better than the Busse. The Randalls V grind edge is superior for cutting and chopping but chipped a little bit easier when the it came in contact with a rock than the the other two with their convexed edges. All three knives had no issues with edge roll. I used the Randall in an abusive manor in an effort to cause a break at the tang, which I presume is approximately 1/2 X 1/4 X 4.75 inches as it is based in a # 14 CDT. It seems one would have to break this knife on purpose in order to effectuate failure. The Randall and the Bill Buxton are expensive, and expensively made. The Busse appeared to be mostly machine made, but high priced. My point is, Busse appears to price into its MSRP an abuse warrantee. The FBM LE in 2007 was a simple construction $375 knife that actually retailed for $697 sans a sheath. The price of the hand forged Randall and Buxton prices do not reflect a warrantee for abuse, so the buyer has to self insure the knife for abuse. But, they are forged, and the advantage seems to be the same for carbon steel knife blades as it is for the cranks on a mountain bicycle, the forged units require less material to create the same amount of strength compared the those CNC'd or chucked and ground, making this production method perfect for a hollow grind blade. The cost of self insuring the knife for abuse versus having it packed into the retail price would be a consideration a purchaser would have to weigh relative to their own personal comfort level.
[img:center][/img] [img:center][/img] [img:center][/
[img:center][/img]
[img:center][/img]

Edited by oohhaann (05/05/15 08:16 PM)

#127388 - 05/03/15 04:16 PM Re: Randall Made 12-9 review and comparison [Re: oohhaann]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Thank you! Very interesting review and test smile

I have a question for you, you have covered the knife patina or it formed during use?

#127389 - 05/03/15 04:25 PM Re: Randall Made 12-9 review and comparison [Re: desert.snake]
oohhaann Offline
Knife Enthusiast

It darkend up when I took it fishing and used it in the kitchen, etc. But it doesn't seem to rust.

Edited by oohhaann (05/03/15 04:34 PM)

#127476 - 05/04/15 12:53 PM Re: Randall Made 12-9 review and comparison [Re: oohhaann]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Nice review.
Just curious why you selected a knife versus a bow saw, axe, or hatchet for cutting saplings?
Molon Labe

#127482 - 05/04/15 01:59 PM Re: Randall Made 12-9 review and comparison [Re: BladesNBarrels]
oohhaann Offline
Knife Enthusiast

A large knife is not always, but generally faster and more convenient for me to use and carry around. We raised ducks for years and I preferred the quiet of a hand tool over a chainsaw as not to startle them. In the end, I found a large knife the easiest tool to keep handy while I am out and about. But, I do at some point use a chainsaw to clean up all the small stumps left behind.

Edited by oohhaann (05/04/15 09:40 PM)

#127488 - 05/04/15 05:15 PM Re: Randall Made 12-9 review and comparison [Re: oohhaann]
Shelley Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New Zealand
Hey good to see someone who actually uses a Randall and uses it hard, too many end up as safe queens, how do you sharpen yours after use?

#127493 - 05/04/15 06:05 PM Re: Randall Made 12-9 review and comparison [Re: Shelley]
oohhaann Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Leather strop with compound is all the Randall needs 90% of the time. The other two knives needed the DMT and the Norton stones more frequently.

#127568 - 05/05/15 04:29 PM Re: Randall Made 12-9 review and comparison [Re: oohhaann]
alan_grombacher Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
The 12-9 is a great heavy bush knife. I gave one to my boy, and he loves it. His is tool steel, with a fighter guard, and a leather handle. It is the one he always takes with him.

Alan Grombacher
RKCC-CMI-010
RKS#5531

#127578 - 05/05/15 06:41 PM Re: Randall Made 12-9 review and comparison [Re: alan_grombacher]
Tom Vaught Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Alan, as you know, lots of mountain range people carried some form of a Bowie knife in the 1800s. In some cases a bigger knife is an advantage, as you can actually can carry a Bowie knife on your person, whereas a hatchet, saw, axe, etc is obviously a purpose built tool.

A neighbor many years ago was a collector of 1800s "mountain man" weapons and tools and had a lot of cool stuff for a young kid like me to admire at the time. He had a marvelous collection of the rifles and shotguns. This was one I remember: http://www.historicalarms.com/colt-revolving-shotgun-for-sale.html

Is your son's 12-9 a "clip point" or a conventional shaped blade? Has anyone ever field tested the two shapes against each other?

Tom V.

Edited by Tom Vaught (05/05/15 06:43 PM)

#127583 - 05/05/15 07:39 PM Re: Randall Made 12-9 review and comparison [Re: Tom Vaught]
alan_grombacher Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Hey Tom,

My son's knife is a standard #12-9 Sportsman, but with a fighter guard. He'd never give it up. You will see a lot of big knives still in use up here.

I patterned the knife after the knife on pages 198-199 of R.E. Hunt's book - Randall Military Models - Fighters, Bowies, and Full Tang Knives.

Cheers,

Alan Grombacher
RKCC-CMI-0110
RKS#5531
RKS#5531

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod