Randall Made Knife
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201359 - 11/04/22 10:14 PM Scrimshawed Randall’s
alan_grombacher Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Question on scrimshawed knives: Can you use them without damaging the scrim? I have never owned a Randall with a scrimshawed handle, hence my curiosity.

Cheers,

Alan
RKS#5531

#201362 - 11/05/22 09:08 AM Re: Scrimshawed Randall’s [Re: alan_grombacher]
Shoot870p Offline
Knife Enthusiast

This is a great question! Years ago the old Old Timers had some scrimed knives that were probably users just due to the price. Machine done and all that.
Now, with an artist doing the work and on a Randall I would think not but let’s see what the group says.
Walker

#201365 - 11/05/22 11:54 AM Re: Scrimshawed Randall’s [Re: Shoot870p]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
It's a lot like engraved knives, you have to worry more about how you clean them.
The black that is used for contrast when engraving can be cleaned away, same with the "ink" or whatever the proper term for the material used in scrimshaw is.
I almost always carry a sheath blade, I use this one now and then and carry it some when I don't want to be without.
But I don't take it when I'm working or on a heavy project.
But it's more due to fear of removing the "color" when I clean it.

Attachments
------12-8 & 27 scrims.jpg

RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#201367 - 11/05/22 02:24 PM Re: Scrimshawed Randall’s [Re: Chief]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
It's "artwork"...Treat it as such.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#201368 - 11/05/22 03:15 PM Re: Scrimshawed Randall’s [Re: alan_grombacher]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
Everyone can come up with a reason to do, or not do, anything; BUT the only reason that I can imagine making a serious user of an incredible piece of artwork like a scrimshawed Randall (like Chief’s as pictured) would be because the owner possesses many AND has so much money that it doesn’t matter how he burns it.
I’ve admired that particular one Chief ever since I first saw a picture of it.

Edited by Duke (11/05/22 03:16 PM)
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#201370 - 11/05/22 04:01 PM Re: Scrimshawed Randall’s [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
It's "artwork"...Treat it as such.
Best, Capt. Chris

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#201371 - 11/05/22 06:53 PM Re: Scrimshawed Randall’s [Re: Duke]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Duke, I have been at this a minute, not like the veterans here of course but a lot of years none the less.
I have owned at one time or another a lot of different scrimed Randall's.
The one thing that I didn't learn till I started up agin after I sold most of them to adopt some children, was that I was only enjoying them behind glass so to speak.
I have 3-5 that I carry and 3 of those that I use a lot. I also learned that on a user that when it starts looking rough the shop can make it look damn near new for a minimal price.
As for the knife that is pictured I don't have near what you would think in it.
The ivory was only 200 most folks won't deal with it for a while now.
The knife was 250 as it was already used and abused.
Behring re-handled & cleaned it for 200
The scrim was the most expensive part.
Not that I'm trying to justify carrying it, but hell I have the same amount on some saltwater rod and reel combos & I use them hard. And we won't mention gun prices to carry around in the weather.

But in the end Capt. Chris is right "It's art" and should be treated that way.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#201373 - 11/06/22 01:06 AM Re: Scrimshawed Randall’s [Re: Chief]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
Here’s the thing Chief. I expressed an opinion which really wasn’t answering what Alan first asked and you did a great job answering from your own experience. I actually was smiling as I typed my couple sentences as they were tongue-in-cheek and a lame-ass attempt at a little humor. I honestly have no opinions or feelings re money people make, how much they have or how they spend it, BUT certainly wasn’t trying to be critical of you, your (to me) beautifully scrimshawed Randall, how much it did/didn’t cost you or how you do or don’t use it.
I do really hate that it seems you took it negatively and personally. I do remember you adopting your son, was very touched by it.
Anyway, too much said but I felt a need to respond to you specifically. I wish you well.

Edited by Duke (11/06/22 01:33 PM)
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#201382 - 11/06/22 08:16 PM Re: Scrimshawed Randall’s [Re: Duke]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Duke
Here’s the thing Chief. I expressed an opinion which really wasn’t answering what Alan first asked and you did a great job answering from your own experience. I actually was smiling as I typed my couple sentences as they were tongue-in-cheek and a lame-ass attempt at a little humor. I honestly have no opinions or feelings re money people make, how much they have or how they spend it, BUT certainly wasn’t trying to be critical of you, your (to me) beautifully scrimshawed Randall, how much it did/didn’t cost you or how you do or don’t use it.
I do really hate that it seems you took it negatively and personally. I do remember you adopting your son, was very touched by it.
Anyway, too much said but I felt a need to respond to you specifically. I wish you well.

I didn't take it negative Boss, I just felt like sharing.
Lots of us see a end result & think that damn wish i could have gotten that.
That knife took 3 years to put together a little here a little there.
And don't worry about me taking something negative I have thick skin & this place is a place that I like to come to & feel free to talk to like minded people......well maybe not the Captain I always lose when I debate with him. LOL
RKS #5154

Moderator:  Mr_Mod