James Behring Knives Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188940 - 07/14/20 02:55 AM Value of carry vs. collecting
Hank Dodge Offline
Just dropped in

Loc: kalifornia
I often find myself wondering if I should carry and use a knife or a gun if it's in really nice condition. Funny, because these items were built as tools to be used.

I have an older 1-7 with a really nice stag handle that had a few slight handling marks from a previous owner...I've decided to carry that one. It has the carbon steel blade, so I just did the pickle juice treatment to it. The rough back sheath that it came with was in great condition, so I mothballed that for the moment and bought a nice waxed sheath from a quality maker. I'm sure that this knife still holds some collectible value, but it also feels superb in the hand and begs to be used.

I also have a current production stainless Combat Companion that I have been using and carrying. It has become an all around camp knife / travel companion to have in hand when a solid fixed blade is needed. It was bought for that purpose and I am using it as such.

Now, for the other side of this conversation....I recently bought a Model 14 with a carbon bowie clip point blade, #1 style silver guard, stag handle, and a silver butt cap. This knife is a beautiful piece of work. I probably should not have spent the money on it, but I'm a sucker for the stag. It has a great feel to it as well, but it is still "new". Is this a model that would be collectable and worth hanging onto as a showpiece? Or, should I toss it on my gunbelt with my Colt SAA and go camping?

At what point do you guys consider a knife a tool or a collectible?

#188944 - 07/14/20 08:52 AM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: Hank Dodge]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Double hilt knives such as the model 1 and 14 are not ideal "camp" knives, although they can be used as such.

Randall makes a plethora of field knives for that task, with some designed for specialized duty.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#188957 - 07/14/20 01:02 PM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: crutchtip]
22255blk Offline
Knife Enthusiast

It all depends on you. I grew up living next door to Terry Hearn. I have several of his knifes. One time he gave me a small skinner. He told me the only way I could have it was if I used it. It always bothered Terry for his knifes to be out in a display box. He always said "I build knifes to use for a lifetime and they never get used." Use the tool if you can. The bladesmith would smile for it.

Edited by 22255blk (07/14/20 01:03 PM)

#188958 - 07/14/20 03:25 PM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: 22255blk]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I have more than a couple. There are some knives, no matter how much somebody yells & screams about RMKs are "built-to-use"...I, in quite a few cases disagree! Bo Randall & David Griffin walked me back to 4 large tables and on those tables lay all 300 RMK 50th anniversary commemoratives. I was given my choice, but knowing that only 38 were stamped with the "S" blade stamp, I really only had a choice of 38 knives.
I chose the absolute best piece of amber crown stag and then was given a low S/N to have etched on it. Afterwards, when the whole package was completed, I walked into Bo's office and had mine "personalized"!
There are some things that just "ain't" for sale and should "never" be used...I have a few more also. I guess. what I'm saying is: "It REALLY depends on the knife"!!
I also have about 3-4 dozen that I absolutely "use"!
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Cap's 50th Com-B.JPG

------Cap's 50th Com-D.JPG

------Cap's 50th Com-E.JPG

------Cap's 50th Com-F.JPG

------Cap's 50th Com-H.JPG

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (07/14/20 03:31 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#188963 - 07/14/20 06:14 PM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: Hank Dodge]
JerryG Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: WI
Originally Posted By: Hank Dodge
At what point do you guys consider a knife a tool or a collectible?

I considered my VST's tools until I saw one sell for substantially more than their original price now they're collectibles

Attachments
IMG_20200430_171643006~2.jpg (118 downloads)

#189004 - 07/15/20 05:52 PM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: JerryG]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
I like to enjoy both worlds ...

I'd say I use or have used almost half of my collection.

All my fighters are mint ... for me, not practical for outdoor use.

My $1000 Glades ... no way. smile. #12/14 Grind - never used. #18 - carried only a few times...
great knife... TOO BIG for my needs ... unless I'm buggin' out into a possible mess. grin

5 Club Knives are all mint/unused.

Randalls with "special" handle material ... Buffalo horn, AGM, A.I.
Olive wood, do not get used.
A couple Dealer Specials are not users ... just the Stoddard has been used a few times.

Users ... a couple of 3s, a 4, couple of 5s, one 7, one 8, a few 10s, one 11-3",
one single hilt 15, a 21, a couple 23s, a 25 and a 26 (maybe used once each),
a 28 (gave it to a friend), one Sergeant ... now I just need more time to actually USE them!

Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#189005 - 07/15/20 06:31 PM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I carry 2 knives everyday.
a protech folder & a model 19, have 3 19 users.
Sometime a Behring depending on my mood that morning.
There is a lot that I use a knife for because I carry it.
I won't be the guy that had a collection & wished he had one with him.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#189007 - 07/15/20 06:53 PM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: Chief]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Yep, I have very few safe queens, but they do exist. From 1967 to 1975, I had only 1 Randall, a Model 1-6", stag and brass double hilt, aluminum butt cap and nut, etched with Michael R. Allen. I used it for everything. In 1975, I ordered a Model 5-5", Bradford Angier, and used it for many years. Also in 1975, as a fishing guide, I bought over the phone from Pete Hamilton, a Model 8 regular stag,compass and wrist thong. Used it for a fishing knife many years. I keep a Model 19-5 in my Kubota UTV, and a Model 5-6" in my Lincoln LT pickup and also one in my Ford 1996 Ford Bronco. When I go to Boise, not often any more, I pack my Glock 43 and Chris Reeve Large Sebenza. I have other Randall users, but most of my former safe queens have been given to kids and grandchildren. My latest fancy Model 5-8", will most likely never get used. Although as an Everglades knife, makes a lot of sense.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#189008 - 07/15/20 07:05 PM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: TonyLaPetri]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Good recap Tony!
There are the "Specials" that don't get used... like 7 spacers/5+ options/ Super Stags/ No longer available's/ (fluted buffalo's)/NASA's and all the ones you listed!

However... the Carving set is used at least monthly, and use the 23,15, wife's mini 27 copper & Tailor, 28, and a couple of 10's and 11's.

No limb cutting with mine... use the Bolo machete or camp axe!!!!!
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#189013 - 07/15/20 09:52 PM Re: Value of carry vs. collecting [Re: CrazyCajun]
Mell73 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I use my model 23 and a Sergeant hard and every chance I can. I LOVE them! Great knives that are made for heavy use. The feeling of a user Randall is indescribable. That said, I have some early 60s Randall’s that belonged to my grandfather including a model 2 elephant ivory that will never see use under any circumstances see use. So like Capt. said it really does depend on the knife!

Edited by Mell73 (07/15/20 09:55 PM)
Case Collectors Club Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod