dominionhobby.com Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169382 - 03/06/18 09:04 PM JRB sheath question
digi-shots Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hope someone can help with this...

I saw a sheath the other day and above the stamped model number was a stamping of the letter “W”.

Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks!

#169383 - 03/06/18 09:10 PM Re: JRB sheath question [Re: digi-shots]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Waxed

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#169384 - 03/06/18 09:34 PM Re: JRB sheath question [Re: RamKingJC]
SWIMMER Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Not necessarily,
I just sold a Model 15 with a W on rear of sheath. Not waxed but made of Latigo leather. Was told when I received sheath it was made of harness leather. Very thick. Johnson sheath. 1990.
When I ordered the knife I told Randall I wanted a waterproof sheath and that's what I received.

#169385 - 03/06/18 09:51 PM Re: JRB sheath question [Re: SWIMMER]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Spring Hill, Florida
Originally Posted By: SWIMMER
Not necessarily,
I just sold a Model 15 with a W on rear of sheath. Not waxed but made of Latigo leather. Was told when I received sheath it was made of harness leather. Very thick. Johnson sheath. 1990.
When I ordered the knife I told Randall I wanted a waterproof sheath and that's what I received.

That sheath was built more like a leather sap for beating! lol
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#169387 - 03/06/18 10:09 PM Re: JRB sheath question [Re: SWIMMER]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: SWIMMER
Not necessarily,

This is the first I have ever heard of anything like this. Historically, W stands for waxed, not "waterproof".

Never have heard of Latigo leather either as being something different than what Johnson used everyday. The inference you make is this type of leather has waterproof qualities?

Who exactly told you this? Johnny Johnson? Someone from the shop?

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#169388 - 03/07/18 08:05 AM Re: JRB sheath question [Re: crutchtip]
SWIMMER Offline
Knife Enthusiast

When I ordered the knife I asked for a waterproof sheath. I expected a waxed sheath but received one unwaxed but very heavy leather sheath. I contacted the shop and was told it was made of Latigo leather. It was stamped with a W on rear of sheath.
Took delivery on 8/23/90. That's all I know about it as I have never used the sheath or knife in any water.
Knife was sold in January.

Tom
RKS #302
RKCC #303

#169390 - 03/07/18 08:11 AM Re: JRB sheath question [Re: SWIMMER]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
From Wikipedia:
"Latigo is usually infused with oils and waxes. Techniques such as hot-stuffing, wet-stuffing, and fat liquoring have been devised to increase the amount of oil and wax the hide can hold.[2] Due to oil/wax infusion, and its partial chrome tanning, the leather is moderately flexible, less rigid than full vegetable tans, but more rigid than full chrome tans. Because of its weight and tanning process, latigo is among the most expensive cattle hide leathers.[3]"

Pretty interesting.....

Edited by Michael_Mason (03/07/18 08:13 AM)

#169391 - 03/07/18 08:27 AM Re: JRB sheath question [Re: Michael_Mason]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
1990 would have been on Greg's watch, most likely. A phone call would solve this.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#169392 - 03/07/18 08:38 AM Re: JRB sheath question [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Stikman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Odessa , FL
If it is one of ours a "w" means it is waxed , I do not remember making sheaths out of latigo leather. We weren't making very many sheath models in 1990, only 1-6 , 1-7 ,14 ,15,25-5 pouches. I don't believe we were waxing sheaths that early.
Stikman

Edited by Stikman (03/07/18 08:40 AM)

#169395 - 03/07/18 02:51 PM Re: JRB sheath question [Re: Stikman]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I have never seen a Johnson sheath stamped with a "W" unless it was waxed.

Not all wax is equal. I have seen more than enough that were hard as wood with some that seemed to be a bid more pliable. These were later sheaths say from the late 70's early 80's.

As for Latigo leather, it is not characteristic of RMK to offer one of the most expensive leathers for use in the manufacture of the sheaths. There would have been an obvious up charge if that was the case probably along with some type of offering in a catalog most likely.

Again, this is the first I have ever heard of it, and it seems the same hold true for others posting. In any case if it was Latigo leather, and that is a big IF, it is in fact "waxed" ( to some degree) according to the description Michael posted.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod