Clinton Knives Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166875 - 12/06/17 03:11 PM Randall shop question
nate-dogg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Sunflower State
Hello all. Please excuse me and direct me in the right direction if this has already been asked. My question is, "Will the Randall shop tighten the gap that has formed between the spacers and the handle?" It is not loose at all and the gap is paper thin. It is just a cosmetic issue that I would like to fix. I do not want to simply tighten the end nut in hopes that it will tighten everything up because I don't want to mark up the nut or scratch any of the hardware. I really enjoy this knife and want it to be fixed right. I have always heard that they will tune up the knife and buff the blade and hardware etc, but wasn't sure if this was something that they would help me with. I will add a few pictures to make the post more interesting and so you can better understand what it is exactly that I am talking about. Thank you!

first picture is the gap I am referring to.

second picture is knife compared to another knife with similar spacer configuration that does not have a gap (my goal).

third picture is just for s&g

Thanks again!

#166876 - 12/06/17 03:19 PM Re: Randall shop question [Re: nate-dogg]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

More knowledgeable people (that is, Dirty Water, Tunefink, and others) will see this and chime in to help you.

From the photo, it is hard to see whether there is a gap between the leather and the spacers, or if it is a situation where the leather has shrunk to a smaller diameter than the spacers.

These are nice older knives! The more sophisticated collectors can advise whether to do anything that might affect the current appearance and maybe the value.

Larry

Edited by LarryWW1246 (12/06/17 03:20 PM)
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#166877 - 12/06/17 03:22 PM Re: Randall shop question [Re: LarryWW1246]
nate-dogg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The handle material is wood, not leather. Thank you for your response and I will stay tuned to hear what others suggest!

#166878 - 12/06/17 04:44 PM Re: Randall shop question [Re: nate-dogg]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Nate,
Pretty old knives! Unfortunately the shop cannot "tighten" this up as rust and epoxy have formed and hardened, according to Scott, making it impossible to try and "move" that wooden handle.
That's the bad news. The "good" news is that the shop can fill it. It's a matter of mixing a little black dust of micarta with epoxy and filling the crack. You may notice the slight color variation...or not..."but"...(My favorite interjection)...it'll be
gap-free"!
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#166879 - 12/06/17 04:49 PM Re: Randall shop question [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
nate-dogg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thank you Captain! That answers my question. I know this is completely up to me and peoples opinions will vary, but would this de-value this knife if I had the gap filled in at the shop? Since it is not loose at all, would it maybe be better to just leave it the way it is? Thanks.

#166880 - 12/06/17 05:30 PM Re: Randall shop question [Re: nate-dogg]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
I would not touch them..... both are very good knives and things are only original once.

#166881 - 12/06/17 05:38 PM Re: Randall shop question [Re: tunefink]
nate-dogg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thank you for your opinion. I was hoping they could eliminate the gap by tightening it up, but I don't think I want to have it filled with epoxy. I agree it would probably be best to just let it be.

#166882 - 12/06/17 05:47 PM Re: Randall shop question [Re: tunefink]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tallahassee FL
I had this issue with a wood-handled knife where, at some point prior to when I bought it, the wood shrank and pulled away from the hilt. I showed it to Scott at the Shop (some time last year I believe) and he said that there was nothing they could do to eliminate the gap. He suggested filling the gap with clear glue (such as super glue) just for purposes of keeping the gap from filling with dirt, etc. The knife is solid so it's just a cosmetic issue. I left it as it is since the knife is a user anyway. Based on what the Captain said, it sounds like they can fill a gap in micarta but, if I understood Scott correctly, they cannot fill a gap in a wood handle. Also, my gap was quite a bit wider than yours so that might make a difference. Very nice "low S" knives!

P.S. -- Looking again at your knife, I wouldn't worry at all about that gap. It's so small I personally don't think it really has an affect on the overall appearance.

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

#166884 - 12/06/17 05:58 PM Re: Randall shop question [Re: JE6245]
nate-dogg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply. Very helpful information. I will not be sending the knife off.

#166885 - 12/06/17 06:08 PM Re: Randall shop question [Re: nate-dogg]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Nate,

In the third picture there is a small circle on the flanged butt cap. Is there a pin in it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod