Nifeboy.com dominionhobby.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155663 - 01/13/17 04:01 PM eBay and Authentication
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest
I just saw the following--maybe it will help solve the eBay fake Randall issue when it goes into effect, especially the high-priced knives:

"While some sites like Amazon are launching lawsuits against sellers who ship out fake products, eBay is taking a different approach by launching a new authentication program. Appropriately named eBay Authenticate, this new program leans on a “network of professional authenticators” to add an additional layer of trust to online transactions. Buyers will be able to opt-in to the program by paying a fee, and then when the item is sold, it will be sent to one of these authenticators for verification. Assuming the product sold gains the authenticator’s approval, it will then be forwarded to the buyer. Sellers who choose to pay the eBay Authenticate fee will benefit from a banner placed on their listing that tells prospective buyers that the item will be verified before delivery. This, in turn, helps sellers who deal in legitimate products stand out from the rest, and should help make users more confident in buying their items."
RKS #258

#155667 - 01/13/17 08:11 PM Re: eBay and Authentication [Re: Holzinger258]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

So does that mean I am gonna knives thru eBay to authenticate?

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#155668 - 01/13/17 08:46 PM Re: eBay and Authentication [Re: crutchtip]
oldguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Yeehaw Junction
So who's going to authenticate the ebay authenticator? Not for me. oldguy

#155670 - 01/13/17 09:22 PM Re: eBay and Authentication [Re: oldguy]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Unfortunately, there's not a great deal of specific information on the ebay site. No start date; no fee listed; no real details on how the process will work.

More questions than answers at present. If seller or buyer opts for authentication, when does the sale actually close/when is the deal consummated? When is payment due? At the end of auction, or after item authenticated? If payment due at end of auction, is it held in escrow while authentication pending? If payment at end of auction, and not held in escrow, how will ebay ensure refund timely issued?

The announcement page states that the authentication program will begin with "high-end fashion items." The photo on the page looks like a Hermes handbag, so that seems to be the type of items that will qualify, at least initially. It is also noted that "Other relevant inventory may be added over the coming year."

No specific authenticators are identified. I would assume, however, that they'd have to publish the names and qualifications of the authenticator(s) if sellers or buyers are to have any faith in the program.

Joe, if they decide to add RMKs to the list of items eligible for authentication, it would only make sense that they'd reach out to you. Even if they started an inquiry by contacting dealers, they'd soon learn that you are the authorized RMK authenticator.

It should be interesting to see how this plays out.
RKCC #622

#155671 - 01/13/17 09:22 PM Re: eBay and Authentication [Re: oldguy]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Like to see the credentials of the network of authenticators.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#155672 - 01/13/17 09:44 PM Re: eBay and Authentication [Re: Chief]
GHD Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: North Pole, Alaska
Sounds like another ebay ripoff to me, no thanks !

#155674 - 01/13/17 11:48 PM Re: eBay and Authentication [Re: GHD]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Spring Hill, Florida
More experts......lol
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#155676 - 01/14/17 09:35 AM Re: eBay and Authentication [Re: Tattoo Bill]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I don't see this "policy" or effort to reach much success. The logistics seem to be too involved. I don't see anyone authenticating anything from photographs which it seems to me will be the most common method used. I just don't see shipping something from a seller, to an authenticator, from the authenticator to the purchaser. The time and expense will probably prohibit most from doing so?

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#155677 - 01/14/17 09:51 AM Re: eBay and Authentication [Re: crutchtip]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
If it works anything like their "Sellers Valet" program, it will leave much to be desired...

#155680 - 01/14/17 01:44 PM Re: eBay and Authentication [Re: Chief]
william768 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Chief
Like to see the credentials of the network of authenticators.

In some way "insiders" ( as usual ) with that Co . ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod