Miles Swelze James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125083 - 03/15/15 08:06 PM RMK sheath research project *
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
Hi everyone
Over the past several years there has been discussion and debate about the sheaths in the transition years between 1960-1962. The main part of debate was what features indicate a Heiser RMK stamped sheath, and what features indicate a Maurice Johnson RMK stamped sheath.
Without verifiable proof, there are many well thought out and researched theories.
So much has been put into the stamp orientation, male keeper placement, tooled edge etc. Perhaps this project can put us closer to knowing who made what.
I would like to propose a research project that requires participation, and does not require debate and speculation.
The project has to do simply with the style or font of the number that the sheath maker used when stamping the sheath for model and size.
This project is ONLY limited to those sheaths in the Heiser/Maurice Johnson era.
Here are my findings so far.
All of the sheaths in my small collection that fall in this range are Heiser. All of these sheaths are number stamped with what I call "old style" font. The Johnson baby dot sheaths that I have seen used a different font for the stamp. One I call a "new style" number stamp.
Study the Heiser numbers, and the Johnson baby dot numbers, and you will clearly see the different shape of the numbers.
The findings I have are based on the several RMK stamped sheaths that were posted on the previous 2 threads, Heiser vs Johnson 1&2, and the ebay listings of late.

These are my observations:
1) All Heiser sheaths have old style numbers
2) All West facing RMK stamp sheaths have old style numbers
3) All Horizontal RMK stamp sheaths have old style numbers
4) All East facing stamp sheaths have (a) no numbers or (b) new style numbers.

Note. My limited research has found
1) No West facing stamp sheaths without numbers
2) No horizontal stamp sheaths without numbers
3) Only East facing stamp sheath without numbers.

I think this can be a very interesting project, and with all the sheaths in your collections to look at, maybe we can come closer to understanding the history of these sheaths.

If you find anything to contradict my findings, please post pictures of them. If your findings are in line with mine, let us know. We are attempting to find out if there is a common thread that distinguishes these early RMK stamped sheaths from one another.

If anyone has any ideas to further expand the criteria for this project let me know.

So please get out those early RMK stamped sheaths, look at those number stamp styles, and let us know what you find.

One last thing. Let's please contain this thread only to the facts of the research. Findings are all we are interested in at this point.
Let's have some fun!
RKS Member #5700

#125089 - 03/15/15 10:28 PM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Sam...and others,
I have much contradictory evidence to some of the above. As promised a few days ago, I have been researching this topic. I have horizontal stamped Johnson sheaths in my collection, along with center-snapped, brown button, RMK stamped examples, also from Johnson. "Opposite-facing" sheath stamps from Johnson as well. More on this later.

Thanks Capt Chris for the update and response from Mr Wright. Look forward to more of that interview.
As I stated in my first post, this isn't about center snaps, brown buttons or anything other than the number styles on what sheaths. If you have evidence of sheath number configurations other than what I listed in my first post, I am interested in seeing them.
Please guys, let's not continue the Heiser vs Johnson debate on this thread. This one is about the style number fonts on what sheaths. Information gathering is what this thread is about.
Please keep the debate on the Heiser vs Johnson 2 thread.
Thanks
RKS Member #5700

#125091 - 03/15/15 11:55 PM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: samg]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Sam,
I moved my latest findings, but had thought there may be interest in the fact that I have Horizontal sheath stamped Johnson sheaths with no numbers and some other quirks.
...to be continued,
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#125092 - 03/16/15 12:01 AM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yes Capt, the RMK sheaths with the different stamp and number orientations.
Look forward to it. I am not trying to prove one theory or the other, just trying to ascertain what's out there to get a clearer picture.
Thanks.
RKS Member #5700

#125093 - 03/16/15 12:06 AM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: samg]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I haven't attached photos in awhile, so I will try here.
This attachment illustrates the "new style" plain numbers I am referring to.
Look closely at the straightness of the 7.

Attachments
------_20150316_000306.JPG

Edited by samg (03/16/15 12:58 AM)
RKS Member #5700

#125094 - 03/16/15 12:11 AM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: samg]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

These 2 photos illustrate the "old style" numbers. Notice the turn up at the bottom right end of the number 2, and the turn down on the top left of the number 7.
The number styles on these two images are different than the straight style on the previous image in my last post.

Attachments
------_20150316_000823.JPG

------0 (3).jpg

Edited by samg (03/16/15 01:05 AM)
RKS Member #5700

#125097 - 03/16/15 08:54 AM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: samg]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Here is another photo of an " old style" number font. See how the 3 is flat across the top? The Heiser stamped number 3 is like this.

Attachments
------_20150316_084816.JPG

RKS Member #5700

#125098 - 03/16/15 08:56 AM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: samg]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

This image is of a "new style" number 3 number stamp. Notice how the 3 is rounded on the top?
The 6 has a different shape too. The top "tail" if you will of the old style number dips down towards the circle part of the number.

Attachments
------_20150316_084233.JPG

Edited by samg (03/16/15 08:59 AM)
RKS Member #5700

#125100 - 03/16/15 09:54 AM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: samg]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Sam that is called a serif font

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#125101 - 03/16/15 10:13 AM Re: RMK sheath research project [Re: crutchtip]
samg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
Sam that is called a serif font

Thanks Joe. And here is a definition of a serif font.
" A serif is a small stroke projecting from the main stroke of a character."

I have noticed that there are some "serifs" projecting from the number 1 on the "new style" number stamps, but they are shaped differently than the "old style" serifs. The old style kind of dip down, and the new style go straight out.
I decided to use old style, new style terminology because the older Heisers (40's and 50's) display this style, and the newer (60's on) Johnson baby dot sheaths display the new style without serifs.
Again these are my findings. I am very interested to learn if there are any varying examples out there.
What I find very interesting so far is that:
1) Every West facing stamp that I have observed has the old style serif number font
2) Every Horizontal facing stamp that I have observed has an old style serif number font
3) Every East facing stamp that I have observed has a new style number font.
Joe, I know you have an extensive collection, so if there are any exceptions to this, please post them. I just find it curious that I have not found any variations to this. Of course my observation is limited to only a couple hundred sheaths, but I thought that a large enough number of sheaths to establish a pattern.

Edited by samg (03/16/15 10:24 AM)
RKS Member #5700

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod