James Behring Knives Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120642 - 08/26/14 08:36 AM About Time **
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Great to see

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131273602072?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#120646 - 08/26/14 10:43 AM Re: About Time [Re: crutchtip]
Hemingway Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Help a novice out--is the price that high just because of the age and time frame of production, or does this model have rare features?

Thanks.

#120648 - 08/26/14 11:12 AM Re: About Time [Re: Hemingway]
505Gibbs Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Suburban Deeeetroit
Yes, I'll ask for clarification on that item as well.
Its a great omen for someone that has one similar to this one but the price for the condition displayed seems like its out of whack!
RKCC# CM-068

#120651 - 08/26/14 11:42 AM Re: About Time [Re: 505Gibbs]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Mike it is a great "omen" for RMK collecting in general, plus the condition is outstanding from what I can see in the photos.

Ok fellas, let me try and "clarify" this. In this shitty economy all collectibles have suffered for the most part. There are however still pockets of high end stuff selling, like the recent sale on ebay of Action Comics #1 graded at a 9 condition cuttin loose for $3,207,852.00!

That being said, there seems to be a resurgence to some degree, hence the price realized for the model 1. No one should be too surprised as the realized price was "normal" in the not too distant past.

To the details of model 1:

WWII vintage dating to around early-mid 1943.

Spacer arrangement was used only for a very short time, possibly as little as a month or so.

Original lanyard was still intact. Not a huge deal but a nice bonus.

No real issues visible and overall appeared in very, very nice condition.

Sheath is the earliest of Heiser's obviously modeled after a Clarence Moore sheath with no rivets, high keeper strap, and characteristic stone pouch flap. Plus it is in near mint condition.

Finally, provenance. I can't stress enough how important this is. This one thing can really change the dynamics of desirability and value.

These old 40's pieces are the pinnacle of RMK collecting, and this particular piece is pretty rare. Anyone that has an interest in reading up on some of this stuff should read all the "usual suspects" on the subject and consider acquiring at least one of the vintage for their collection.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#120652 - 08/26/14 12:42 PM Re: About Time [Re: crutchtip]
Hemingway Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing that.

I have to confess I'm constantly overwhelmed with the Randall collecting side. So many options of this or that and a rare sheath or a certain grind. It's all too much for a new guy.

I was drawn to RMK because they are super high quality and hold up well in the field. And that's why I use them.

I don't have a collector's personality--if I'm not using something, I eventually pass it along. But, I occasionally consider starting to collect the knives rather than just use them. But the bewildering array of features seems to make it impossible for me to learn the true value of each knife.

This ebay one is a case in point. If someone tried to sell that to me for $1,000, I'd think, no way. But here is is worth 8 times that.

I commend you guys on your extensive knowledge of these things. It's really impressive.

#120653 - 08/26/14 01:24 PM Re: About Time [Re: crutchtip]
505Gibbs Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Suburban Deeeetroit
Thanks 'Crutch'!
Its interesting that it sold in the military memorabilia section - not that it was inappropriate.
I wonder, however, how it would have done under the 'Randall' area of fleabay?? We'll never know.
RKCC# CM-068

#120654 - 08/26/14 01:27 PM Re: About Time [Re: crutchtip]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Joe and others,
The stone is not just characteristic of the time period...IT'S THERE!! More than that, it ain't cracked or used up! This is one where the sum of the parts added to the price.
Nice one!
Best, Capt. Chris

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (08/26/14 01:28 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#120660 - 08/26/14 04:03 PM Re: About Time [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
There is a similar sheath in Pete's book on page 68 (Far left both top and bottom photos).

#120673 - 08/27/14 11:28 AM Re: About Time [Re: BoBlade]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Also on pages 120 and 258 in Hunt's Randall Military Models

#120674 - 08/27/14 01:29 PM Re: About Time [Re: Hemingway]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Quote:
I don't have a collector's personality

Hemingway,

What you said is very germane. No matter what one collects, there are common traits to the reasons for doing so. There are a lot of medical papers on the internet about the psychology of collecting and the problems when it spins out of control (hoarding). Fortunately, I have not reached that point yet crazy.......but I have seen that look in people's eyes when they see the knives and think....WTF!

I started collecting knives because of my Father and Grandfather. Both always had good pocketknives. I can still remember being a kid, and the feeling I had when they would give me a new knife. At first they were just cheap knives, like the old Imperials that would hang on a card in the hardware store. As I grew older, the knives became better. I still have some of those, and the knives they left when they passed. Those are my true treasures.

When I was in my early teens, my buddies and I would work at the county stockyards penning cattle coming off the trucks for the day's auction. I was fascinated by those old farmers trading knives as they told lies and spit tobacco. I loved learning from those guys and even more I loved the deal....trading, dickering, haggling.

Fast forward to around 1986, the first time I heard Guy Clark sing "The Randall Knife" I had no idea what they were, but it made me want one.

A few years later I bought my first one..... and in 20 plus years I have owned hundreds of them. I was blessed by all of the Randall guys that took me in and shared their knowledge. It has allowed me to buy, trade and sell my way into the collection I have today.

But, the best part of collecting knives, and Randalls in particular has been the life long friends I have made....coast to coast, and around the world. I have been to their homes and they mine. More than once, I have made a deal on credit with nothing more than "take the knife and send me the money when you can"... no contracts, no promissory note, just a handshake.

The internet has transformed the world, knife collecting included. It's truly amazing that so many like minded people can come together to share and learn. It's a long way from the Madison county stockyards.....

Anyway I am rambling.... Collectors of anything are always a bit quirky, but not Randalls of course. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod