James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91741 - 08/27/11 04:45 PM Anyone Drill Your Own WT Hole? How do u use them? *****
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wausau, WI USA
Has anybody ever drilled their own Wrist Thong hole when they maxed out the 5 options and really wanted the Wrist Thong too?

Edited by Mr_Mod (08/30/11 11:25 PM)
Edit Reason: to appease Mr Foster

NRA Life Member

#91743 - 08/27/11 05:22 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Robert Frey]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
I wouldn't do it!
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#91744 - 08/27/11 05:28 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Robert Frey]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I did it twice! I guess I didn't feel I could screw something up "that bad" twice. I was wrong! Never... Never again.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#91745 - 08/27/11 05:30 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
smcbrearty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
That answer ends any chance of me ever trying it.

Steve

#91746 - 08/27/11 05:56 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: smcbrearty]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Both of my attempts were into a brass butt cap...Guess what? They're "rounded"! Without proper chucking, clamping and a drill press? What the hell was I thinking?
Never again (Did I say that already?), Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#91752 - 08/27/11 06:40 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wausau, WI USA
Yeah, now that you mention it, on a rounded surface a milling machine would be the only way to do it right. I don't have access to a mill, so I guess I won't try it.

Oh well.

NRA Life Member

#91754 - 08/27/11 07:01 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Robert Frey]
Peter_Kaufman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southeast Utah
Rob
I have not but have thought about it with metal butt caps.

The only way I would do it would be in a milling machine with the handle properly fixtured in a vise and using a center drill to spot the hole and then drilling an undersize hole first and the final sized hole second.
That said, it would be unlikely that I would do it anyhow.

Peter
SAF
RKCC CM-023
RKS #5642
SHAG # 005
Ironwood Nut
Life is too short to have ugly knives

#91765 - 08/27/11 09:21 PM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Peter_Kaufman]
Tom Vaught Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I drilled a "Wrist Thong" hole in a SOG "Tiger Shark" handle one time. Did it on a Bridgeport and actually drilled the hole in the handle close to the Hilt. I was using the "Tiger Shark" a lot for chopping chores and the thong in front of the hand allowed me to securely hold the knife without my hand grip getting tired and losing control of the blade. Having the thong located behind the hand would do nothing for what I was trying to accomplish.

That being said, would I ever attempt to drill a thong hole in a Randall knife, bridgeport mill or not, NEVER!

JMO

Tom Vaught

Edited by Tom Vaught (08/27/11 09:22 PM)

#91789 - 08/28/11 10:15 AM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Tom Vaught]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL

If you know how to use a lanyard properly it works very well in keeping your knife in hand.

Take the knife. hold it tip up lanyard hanging down. Take your thumb and put it in the hole. take your hand and twist it to the left while wrapping the string around the back of your hand until your hand grips the handle. Thus creating a very secure easy to remove grip. if the lanyard is too short/long retie it for your needs. You can have it a little too long so you can hold the knife further back thus extending blade length and getting more weight so you can chop better with a short knife. Heres a bad pic but I am using this method in the picture.

Edited by Leatherman (08/28/11 10:17 AM)

#91795 - 08/28/11 11:15 AM Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? [Re: Leatherman]
Tom Vaught Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Thanks for the Picture, Ben. Guess I do not know how to do the Randall lanyard trick properly. Course I never had frostbite on my thumb after I cut off circulation to that appendage using your method either.

Everyone has their own little tricks on what works for them. My set-up just happens to work for me with the knife I use, winter or summer, woods or desert.

I can find a lot of smaller dead wood sticks that I can break by hand for my fire, using less energy, vs using a small knife to chop tree branches with.

I might use the small knife to make kindling or fuzz sticks but would not waste my energy on chopping a single stick with a small knife.

JMO

Tom Vaught

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod