Randall Knife Collectors Club James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83942 - 12/19/10 05:10 PM Randall Stamp - FL versus FLA
WildBill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Greetings- I've noticed that Randall uses different tang stamps on their blades. I have knives made in the past ten years, and some have the Florida abbreviation as FL, while others are FLA. Does anyone know why?

I did research when we went to the two letter abbreviation and it appears this happened when the Postal Service implemented the zip code process in the early 60's. At that time they dropped one letter from the state abbreviation to limit the amount of characters used.

So, this was a long time ago and personally I like the three letter abbreviation (I'm old), what I can't figure out is why some new Randalls use two letters while others are three. Your thoughts??
RKS#5892

#83960 - 12/20/10 04:29 AM Re: Randall Stamp - FL versus FLA [Re: WildBill]
rodbrown Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Bill

I don't have my reference material in front of me, so from memory: The FL stamp was introduced in the mid 80's and is interchangeable with the FLA stamp.

FL is used exclusively on smaller models.

I am sure those with more knowledge will correct me or add to my post.

If you search these forums I think you will find more info than I have posted.

Edited by rodbrown (12/20/10 04:30 AM)
Whether you think you can or can not, you are right.

#83961 - 12/20/10 08:28 AM Re: Randall Stamp - FL versus FLA [Re: rodbrown]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
The "Fl" stamp is exclusive to stainless Randalls. All carbon blades receive "Fla". Rod is correct on the date (approx.) for the stamp being replaced. In the mid 80's the shop had to have a new stamp made, as the old one was cracked. I believe the company automatically replaced the Fla with the newer abbrev.
The more recent stamps have been made up in the "Fla" configuration and "all" of these stamps are still used, interchanged, rotated, etc.
None of this really matters except when it comes to a few "fake stories" out there. I cannot tell you how many times some guy has come up to my table, asking if I want to buy a Randall that his (Daddy, Uncle, Grandad, Best buddy...fill in the blank) carried when he was in (WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam...fill in the blank)? I look at the knife...and it has the "Fl" stamp. History might repeat itself...but it doesn't go backwards! After I "try" and explain the "Fl" stamp to this guy...he walks away. He is "absolutely convinced that I am:
A) Trying to steal his "historical Randall knife"
B) Full of it and have no idea what I'm talking about
C) Fill in the blank...
I get a lot of the "shoot the messenger" responses.
Best, Capt. Chris

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (12/20/10 08:42 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#83970 - 12/20/10 05:52 PM Re: Randall Stamp - FL versus FLA [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
WildBill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

That makes total sense and is in line with each of my knives. Thank you gentlemen.

Bill
RKS#5892

#83974 - 12/20/10 06:33 PM Re: Randall Stamp - FL versus FLA [Re: WildBill]
Knife Enthusiast

Rod....He called us "gentlemen". Do you wanna' tell him...or should I?
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#83980 - 12/20/10 08:37 PM Re: Randall Stamp - FL versus FLA [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
WildBill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hey Capt.

I reread your response and now I am not so sure. In the first paragraph you said that ss gets FL and carbon gets FLA. That is in line with my collection. However, in the second paragraph, you said that they are rotated and all are used. Does that trump the frist statement? In other words, can I expect "all" ss knives made from the 80s on to have the FL stamp or do they now mix and match?

Thx Gents.

Bill

Edited by WildBill (12/20/10 08:38 PM)
RKS#5892

#83983 - 12/20/10 09:24 PM Re: Randall Stamp - FL versus FLA [Re: WildBill]
Knife Enthusiast

Mix-n-match..."BUT"...(There's that word again)..."ONLY" the stainless stamps. Recently the shop has aquired, yet another stamp. This new "Stainless" stamp is also "fla" but is cut somewhat different. The results is an almost "oval" impression in the blade in many cases. You can see what I'm talking about in the 2 photos below of the "all-new" Randall "Chef's" knife.
Best, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Chef's Knife-A.jpg

------Chef's Knife-C.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#83984 - 12/20/10 09:33 PM Re: Randall Stamp - FL versus FLA [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
WildBill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ok, now I got it - thanks for getting me straight.

Oval stamp... it looks like that is something future generations will use to help date these knives when we're gone..

Best, Bill
RKS#5892

#83986 - 12/20/10 10:07 PM Re: Randall Stamp - FL versus FLA [Re: WildBill]
Tom Vaught Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Seems like the New Stamp goes really deep in the Stainless Blade too. Is it like that on all of the new blades with the new stamp?

Tom Vaught

RKS# 5100

Edited by Tom Vaught (12/20/10 10:07 PM)

#83988 - 12/20/10 10:14 PM Re: Randall Stamp - FL versus FLA [Re: Tom Vaught]
Knife Enthusiast

Like all stamped Randalls it depends upon the stamper and the heat of the "stampee". First time I've ever used "stamp" and "pee" in a sentence...I kinda' like it! Here's another recent Randall with a little "less" temperature on the "Stampee".
Best, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Website (55).jpg

------Website (54).jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod