Randall Knife Collectors Club Clinton Knives
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by crutchtip @ 04/21/19 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Dirty_WaterPete did indeed have the ability and the tools to add the rivets...he mentioned a few times that he did just that...loooong before the collectors prices arrived on the scene... well there ya go, I lost the bet!
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by rigid54 @ 04/21/19 02:55 PM

Itís my opinion that the knife is older and the rivets were added to ďpushĒ the sheath back-in-time. Happy Easter all!
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by pappy19 @ 04/21/19 02:26 PM

Crutch I asked Pete to sharpen my Model 1, and he then asked if I wanted him to install rivets on my sheath. I said sure, he then went in the back on the bench and did both. I never paid much attention to the rivets other than they were brass. Pap
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by Dirty_Water @ 04/21/19 02:03 PM

Pete did indeed have the ability and the tools to add the rivets...he mentioned a few times that he did just that...loooong before the collectors prices arrived on the scene...
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by crutchtip @ 04/21/19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: pappy19As a matter of fact, that sheath was dyed cordavan (sp) by a cobbler to match my pistol holster, so I know Pete didn't just give me a replacement sheath with rivets. I am just so mad at myself for selling it to Rhett, but
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by Captain Chris Stanaback @ 04/21/19 12:52 PM

Good point Joe. I took is as he "wound up" with a throat-riveted sheath. Capt. Chris
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by pappy19 @ 04/21/19 12:50 PM

As a matter of fact, that sheath was dyed cordavan (sp) by a cobbler to match my pistol holster, so I know Pete didn't just give me a replacement sheath with rivets. I am just so mad at myself for selling it to Rhett, but what's done is done. Someone
Randall - Buy and Sell - $10.00 commission per knife
Jump to new posts Re: Randall Knife #15 Tenite / Canteen / Used by mileswelze @ 04/21/19 12:03 PM

owner wants to sell this. So, make an offer and I'll present it.
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by crutchtip @ 04/21/19 12:03 PM

Originally Posted By: pappy19So I'm going to throw this out again for whatever it's worth, right or wrong. I bought my first Randall Model 1-6 in 1967. Carbon, stag, and etched Michael R. Allen. In 1970, I flew to Tampa to see my brother,and took m
Dirty Waters Lounge -The GOOD at Knife Talk Forums
Jump to new posts Re: Happy Resurrection Sunday!! by Eric @ 04/21/19 11:09 AM

As sure as Magdalene's Egg turned Red, He has risen. A Beautiful Easter Day here in Eastern Michigan!
Jump to new posts Re: Happy Resurrection Sunday!! by Shoot870p @ 04/21/19 11:04 AM

Absolutely Amen. Walker
RKCC/RKCA News
Jump to new posts Re: Blade show displays and badges-2019 by BladesNBarrels @ 04/21/19 10:45 AM

Kovey's Knives of China "Made in the USA" with the Capt. sitting below the sign. I am still chuckling about the irony of all the messages.
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by Captain Chris Stanaback @ 04/21/19 10:21 AM

I don't see where Mike (Pappy) ever said he had rivets "added"...He just said: "I had rivets on my brown button sheath". Just sayin', Capt. Chris
Jump to new posts Re: Happy Resurrection Sunday!! by pappy19 @ 04/21/19 10:12 AM

Amen! Rejoice!! Pap
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by crutchtip @ 04/21/19 10:09 AM

gonna address a couple of points Larry mentions. First I want to reiterate, RMK was not and is not involved in sheath fabrication in any fashion. The only thing the shop did was set the keeper snap. Providing a choice of stag used in knife fabrica
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by Steel6 @ 04/21/19 10:05 AM

Just a guess, the receiving end of a dot snap on a cartridge belt?
Jump to new posts Happy Resurrection Sunday!! by Dirty_Water @ 04/21/19 09:28 AM

The grave is empty!! HE IS RISEN!! Blessings to all...
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by LarryWW1246 @ 04/21/19 08:26 AM

I am not an expert on the sheaths, but Papís story is interesting, and it reflects how things were sometimes done back in the day. I remember going into the shop when Pete was behind the counter, and talking to him about a Model 4 with stag. He wen
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by crutchtip @ 04/21/19 07:50 AM

It appears to be an HKL sheath, not a Johnson. That being said, the rivets have been there a long time it seems, and are period, so it is difficult to say 100%. It is most probably an owner modification. The Randall shop set keeper snaps, they didn
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts First Trip To The Shop. by Ronnie @ 04/21/19 03:12 AM

My first trip to the shop was in 1986. Here is a picture that everyone that goes there has made.
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by Ronnie @ 04/21/19 03:06 AM

I am aware of that happening Pap but that still doesnít mean that the sheath came from the Johnson Shop like that. Problem is there are those out there done to deceive and without proof that Pete did it well then itís a bogus sheath.
Jump to new posts Re: Dogwoods 2019 by spark42 @ 04/21/19 12:00 AM

Not my photo. Found it hanging on a wall at a restraint. Its of Keenland Race Track. Dennis
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by pappy19 @ 04/20/19 10:47 PM

So I'm going to throw this out again for whatever it's worth, right or wrong. I bought my first Randall Model 1-6 in 1967. Carbon, stag, and etched Michael R. Allen. In 1970, I flew to Tampa to see my brother,and took my knife to the Randall shop.
Jump to new posts Re: Dogwoods 2019 by coachblalock @ 04/20/19 09:36 PM

Great Picture!!!
Randall Made Knives
Jump to new posts Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome by Ronnie @ 04/20/19 08:03 PM

Beautiful old Mod. 1 that someone screwed the sheath probably to deceive.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >